Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOPHIA math equivalencies at TESU
I learned from this awesome forum that an account through phoenix.sophia.org allows users to take Foundations of Algebra and Foundations of Statistics for free.  Since I'm horrible at algebra I sent an email to TESU and their response is:  

"I hope this email finds you well. Foundations of College Algebra or Foundations of Statistics would satisfy the quantitative literacy requirement. "

Both are ACE approved!  I had just started Aleks, but have no idea how long that will take.  Does anyone have any opinion as to which SOPHIA class might be easier?

PS:  I also asked about Business Math at Study.com.  That comes in as a free elective only.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tripletmom's post:
  • cookderosa
I took both of the Sophia foundations math courses. This was after I had done statistics and calculus through SDC so I really only did Sophia because they were free but also good review material. I found the foundations algebra one to be much easier. I don't know where your personal strengths would like but I recommend at least trying both. They're free so there's nothing to lose. I believe the statistics one was only 2 credits so if you need 3 credits then you would have to do something extra anyway.

Plus, once you start, you would have 3+ months to work on them if you're struggling or need to prioritize other courses.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
You can transfer those to TESU or just uop?
You can transfer them to TESU. I've used different email addresses at the UOP, Ashford and normal Sophia pages to add courses to the ACE transcript and they all channel back to my only ACE account and then TESU.
(08-03-2018, 08:24 PM)ekbenzo Wrote: You can transfer those to TESU or just uop?

You can transfer them wherever you want. Easiest way is to put them onto your ACE transcript.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
@tripletmom Even though advisement tells you that I would take it with grain of salt. They give conflicting information sometimes from what I read and I personally experienced it one time where one college said something and another person sent me an email saying to disregard it.

The "Foundations" classes transfer as remedial if I am not mistaken, I don't know if it changed now. Because foundations of college algebra as recommended by ACE is 3 hours of vocational credit in beginning algebra, and TESU does not accept beginning algebra for credit anymore, much less a course recommended by ACE as "vocational". The foundations of statistics is interesting, I would love to know if TESU accepts those as non-remedial!

The principles of statistics comes in as STA-201 and I can confirm the College Algebra comes in as Math-121.

If you are bad at algebra start at ground zero. It simply means toy missed something along the way. Start at pre-algebra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSi0lfl-...76EBEDD88F

MyWhyU will get you up to what you want. Do the entire pre-algebra then the algebra courses. After you finish that you will be ready to tackle the College Algebra at Sophia which I cannot recommend enough! Since you are "bad at it" you have 3.5 months to finish the course.

Nobody is bad at algebra or any math, just too lazy or have to much pride to start from ground-zero and fill in the blanks! You can do it! Trust me when you finish it you will gain a new level of confidence.

At @MNomadic, how did they transfer the "Foundations" courses in for you? What are they listed as on your Eval?
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • Caliokiegirl
They're on my ace transcript but I haven't sent ace to tesu yet.

A while back someone did mention that foundations for statistics transferred in as STA 201 for them at TESU. Not sure if that was a mistake or a fluke or what, but I say take it! It's free. It's quick. It's easy. Worst case scenario it's a quality platform to learn the "foundations" of algebra or statistics so you're not at square one if you have to take a different class.

@armstrong, the Sophia foundations of statistics to me felt like a watered down version of the SDC statistics, which is a watered down of what a typical statistics course would be.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(08-03-2018, 08:43 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: The "Foundations" classes transfer as remedial if I am not mistaken, I don't know if it changed now. Because foundations of college algebra as recommended by ACE is 3 hours of vocational credit in beginning algebra, and TESU does not accept beginning algebra for credit anymore, much less a course recommended by ACE as "vocational". The foundations of statistics is interesting, I would love to know if TESU accepts those as non-remedial!

[...]

At @MNomadic, how did they transfer the "Foundations" courses in for you? What are they listed as on your Eval?

Keep in mind that the new mandate at TESU is to stick more closely to original credit recommendations for transfer credits. This is why LL recommended courses that used to come in as UL now come in as LL. We've seen a few people claim they have received credit for the "foundations" courses at Sophia recently, and another person was told by advising that they would be accepted to satisfy the TESU quant lit requirement. Given they are ACE recommended as LL credits, perhaps as part of the new mandate TESU is now accepting those courses to more closely follow ACE recommendations? Though we won't know for sure without more evaluation examples.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,475 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,874 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,402 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,974 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares