Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor Vs Study.com Vs SL, etc
(08-18-2019, 05:20 PM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: Yes i found it just after you. If you completed and add it on youre ace. Is it valid then?

As long as you complete the course before the expiration date, you are fine. It would not be surprising to see them extended again if the ACE review process isn't complete, although sometimes that doesn't happen right away and people find themselves sitting and wondering whether they will get extended.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-18-2019, 05:16 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Shmoop confirmed this with me via email and I completed Finite Math last week and it was added to my ACE transcript.  Also, make sure that these courses work with your plan before taking them.

Would these Shmoop courses clutter up my TESU transcript if I did more?

(08-18-2019, 07:40 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 05:16 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Shmoop confirmed this with me via email and I completed Finite Math last week and it was added to my ACE transcript.  Also, make sure that these courses work with your plan before taking them.

TESU doesn't accept Shmoop courses at all
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • eriehiker
(08-18-2019, 04:24 PM)eriehiker Wrote: The first thing to know about Shmoop is that they are NOT accepted by TESU.  So if you are working toward a TESU degree or if there is any possibility of switching to TESU, don't do this.

The second thing to know about Shmoop is that ten or fifteen of their courses are set to expire at the end of August 2019.  If you don't intend to work quickly, this might be a problem.

Otherwise, Holocaust Literature, Drugs in Literature, History of Technology, Professional Writing and Introduction to ECommerce are easy.
(08-18-2019, 09:16 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:40 PM)Ideas Wrote: Would these Shmoop courses clutter up my TESU transcript if I did more?

TESU doesn't accept Shmoop courses at all

I know. I was asking because some forum members like eriehiker and myself have completed extra credits (which don't get used toward a degree/cert).

(08-18-2019, 11:04 PM)eriehiker Wrote: The second thing to know about Shmoop is that ten or fifteen of their courses are set to expire at the end of August 2019.  If you don't intend to work quickly, this might be a problem.

My question wasn't very clear. What I meant was: If I hurry and get some Shmoop credits on my ACE transcript, would they then show up on my TESU transcript as NC? Or would TESU just leave them off or? I'm thinking they would be listed, but as No Credit. I considered that "cluttering up" my transcript, but... just trying to think of a reason to do some Shmoop I guess! There's a lot of other things I could do.

My question wasn't very clear. What I meant was: If I hurry and get some Shmoop credits on my ACE transcript, would they then show up on my TESU transcript as NC? Or would TESU just leave them off or? I'm thinking they would be listed, but as No Credit. I considered that "cluttering up" my transcript, but... just trying to think of a reason to do some Shmoop I guess! There's a lot of other things I could do.

Oh Gotcha!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(08-18-2019, 11:28 PM)TwinMom Wrote: My question wasn't very clear. What I meant was: If I hurry and get some Shmoop credits on my ACE transcript, would they then show up on my TESU transcript as NC? Or would TESU just leave them off or? I'm thinking they would be listed, but as No Credit. I considered that "cluttering up" my transcript, but... just trying to think of a reason to do some Shmoop I guess! There's a lot of other things I could do.

Oh Gotcha!

TESU dont take any Shmoop course; they just ignore it.
(08-18-2019, 07:40 PM)Ideas Wrote:

I'm not sure how they would come in.  I have seen many TESU evals, and they transfer in courses they won't give credit for that are considered developmental like pre-algebra or writing development that they don't consider college-level all the time - they bring them in and stick them in Other courses, with the grade (CR) ad the TESU course number of DEC-XXX meaning developmental, and then the number of credits is just 0.00.  But, since Shmoop isn't really in that same category, I'm going to GUESS that they just won't show up on the transcript at all.  If you sent in a transcript from an NA school, those probably just wouldn't show up either.

Just a guess, but I'm not sure why anyone would take these if they aren't going to get credit for them?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
By the way... did anyone knows when Shmoop will "renew" the expierd courses??
The email that I received from Shmoop indicated that the courses that expired at the end of June had been extended until the end of August because they were undergoing the ACE review process. This is the way that ACE works with providers. However, this extension has never been listed on the ACE page, which is sort of God's word on these sort of things. That said, I did complete finite math, which had a 6/30/19 expiration date. I completed it in August and submitted it for addition on my ACE transcript. I put 6/30/19 as my finish date and it was added to the transcript. I was going to check down with the dates. If they didn't approve 6/30, I would have added my actual completion date and then I would have contacted Shmoop, but it all checked out.

I am going to eventually open an Excelsior One Transcript and send these courses to them. I'm an English teacher and these classes are very easy for me. They also are unusual topics. If I am looking for a teaching job in Wisconsin in a couple of years, I have some more stocking stuffers for the interview committees. I also "may" at some point go for a biology or math focused general studies degree at COSC and I would transfer these over. That would be a few years down the road.

I kind of feel that Shmoop is a better course provider than people give them credit for. I think that finite math was a legitimate math course and I think that the literature courses are thought provoking.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • cecilgambe7, Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 4 91 1 hour ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,432 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,617 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,108 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 433 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 759 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 367 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,038 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,911 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle