Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Saylor starting an MBA program?!
Question 
Looks like Saylor Academy is trying to launch an MBA program somehow. There is no mention of accreditation; it seems it may be completely unaccredited - is that legal? 
Here are links to their graduate academic catalog and MBA entrance exam.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 2 users Like jch's post:
  • LevelUP, MNomadic
As long as they don't claim accreditation, having an unaccredited "program" isn't necessarily illegal. University of the People started in a similar fashion before finally gaining NA status and now moving on to attempt to become an RA school. Their address is in Florida, so Florida accreditation laws would apply.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • elcastor21
Saylor Academy holds a provisional license from the Florida Department of Education Commission For Independent Education to offer one degree, the MBA. It's been licensed since October 17, 2022.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • jch, Messdiener, rachel83az, sanantone
Nice! Looks like it’s invitation only. I’d be down for it. I like trying out stuff. And if they end up similar to UoPeople, I’d prefer the name Saylor.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • KSoul, Messdiener
(07-25-2023, 06:54 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Nice!  Looks like it’s invitation only.  I’d be down for it.  I like trying out stuff.  And if they end up similar to UoPeople, I’d prefer the name Saylor.

Saylor University definitely has a nicer ring to it.

One wonders when they'll be launching that name in addition to the new MBA program.  Big Grin

--

Regarding the invitation-only status of the program, I did a quick search and noticed that GetHiredMiami has a direct link to an application form. The main catch seems to be that applicants must be resident in Florida.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Messdiener's post:
  • Vle045
(07-25-2023, 08:23 AM)Messdiener Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 06:54 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Nice!  Looks like it’s invitation only.  I’d be down for it.  I like trying out stuff.  And if they end up similar to UoPeople, I’d prefer the name Saylor.

Saylor University definitely has a nicer ring to it.

One wonders when they'll be launching that name in addition to the new MBA program.  Big Grin

--

Regarding the invitation-only status of the program, I did a quick search and noticed that GetHiredMiami has a direct link to an application form. The main catch seems to be that applicants must be resident in Florida.

Aw dang.  I am not in FL.  But I guess it makes sense since that seems to be their home base.  I hope it gets a broader launch.  Whether or not I have completed my MBA program, I’d still try it out, if I can. Gotta keep the mind sharp!

I guess in the meantime, we can take BUS501: Strategic Management. That’s the course you have to pass to gain entry. So if/when it opens up, you’d have a head start if you already got through the course and free certificate
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
So, technically, these are just $5/exam for each class in the MBA program when they start the roll out? That's pretty cheap indeed...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Smartly/Quantic also got started with no accreditation for their MBA and now they have DEAC(NA). It will be interesting to see how this goes.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-25-2023, 04:02 AM)jch Wrote: Looks like Saylor Academy is trying to launch an MBA program somehow. There is no mention of accreditation; it seems it may be completely unaccredited - is that legal? 
Here are links to their graduate academic catalog and MBA entrance exam.

Totally legal - you gotta start somewhere!  A school doesn't become an RA entity overnight - you start with creating the school, and then start the accreditation process after the school is established.  But even if you don't want to be accredited, it's totally legal to start a school.  As long as you don't claim accreditation when they're isn't one, you're good to go.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • jch, rachel83az
(07-25-2023, 10:45 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Smartly/Quantic also got started with no accreditation for their MBA and now they have DEAC(NA). It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Another recent example isWorld Quant University for their MS Financial Engineering. They got started without any accreditation and now have DEAC(NA). Both were licensed by their state to offer degrees before they became accredited.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any way to enrol into the WGU MBA program as an international student? FM1 9 320 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NYU SPS Guaranteed Admission Program smartdegree 6 563 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 653 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  I am looking for a budget online MBA program ranked among the top 50 in USA shrekr 51 16,095 01-15-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,438 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,805 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Sacramento State launches accelerated, fully online iMBA program LevelUP 7 1,256 09-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,323 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  DTSC-660 at Eastern University (MS in Data Science program) AwardTour 3 1,800 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: AnonStudent
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 15 2,804 05-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vle045