Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Classes "With Lab" requirements?
My daughter has taken Biology and Chemistry through an online co-op. These were intense classes, but the labs were all done via webcam with only the teacher actually doing them. I know there are also other lab simulator websites and virtual labs. I was wondering if these were enough to claim "with lab" on her transcripts, or if she needs to actually do the labs in person in order to get the credit.

Thanks!
Many online labs count for college credit, but they have the student do the labs. Sometimes there is no simulator but the student takes pics of their work, or at least there are things like journals and diagrams to show they did the lab. It seems unlikely she would get lab credit when she didn't do labs.

This online co-op class is supposed to be for college credit?

(08-26-2017, 12:03 PM)Ideas Wrote: Many online labs count for college credit, but they have the student do the labs. Sometimes there is no simulator but the student takes pics of their work, or at least there are things like journals and diagrams to show they did the lab. It seems unlikely she would get lab credit when she didn't do labs.

No, it is not intended for college credit, she plans on taking the CLEP tests for Biology and Chemistry. She plans on using one of the Big 3, so do they need to see "with labs" on a transcript, or will they just accept the clep? 

My daughter is going for a BA in Liberal Arts or Humanities, but I have a son right behind her needing credits that will be majoring in something more Computer related so he may need more science credits, so this question may be even more relevant to him.
(08-26-2017, 11:58 AM)walkingbyfaith Wrote: My daughter has taken Biology and Chemistry through an online co-op. These were intense classes, but the labs were all done via webcam with only the teacher actually doing them. I know there are also other lab simulator websites and virtual labs. I was wondering if these were enough to claim "with lab" on her transcripts, or if she needs to actually do the labs in person in order to get the credit.

Thanks!

I'm wondering if you're referring to high school credit or college credit?

(08-26-2017, 12:12 PM)walkingbyfaith Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 12:03 PM)Ideas Wrote: Many online labs count for college credit, but they have the student do the labs. Sometimes there is no simulator but the student takes pics of their work, or at least there are things like journals and diagrams to show they did the lab. It seems unlikely she would get lab credit when she didn't do labs.

No, it is not intended for college credit, she plans on taking the CLEP tests for Biology and Chemistry. She plans on using one of the Big 3, so do they need to see "with labs" on a transcript, or will they just accept the clep? 

My daughter is going for a BA in Liberal Arts or Humanities, but I have a son right behind her needing credits that will be majoring in something more Computer related so he may need more science credits, so this question may be even more relevant to him.

Oops, just saw your comment to Ideas.
TESU does not have a high school course requirements for admission like many colleges do, you only have to show a transcript. Now, for your question about CLEP, when she takes the CLEP exam, THAT exam is what will give her college credit (not high school credit). If she takes the CLEP exam while in high school, it's your decision about how to list it on her high school transcript, but it will have no bearing on how TESU lists it on her college transcript - which will be: 6 credits biology for the bio CLEP and 6 credits chemistry for the chemistry CLEP. (no labs will be listed, but no labs are required, so you're fine)
(08-26-2017, 12:30 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 11:58 AM)walkingbyfaith Wrote: My daughter has taken Biology and Chemistry through an online co-op. These were intense classes, but the labs were all done via webcam with only the teacher actually doing them. I know there are also other lab simulator websites and virtual labs. I was wondering if these were enough to claim "with lab" on her transcripts, or if she needs to actually do the labs in person in order to get the credit.

Thanks!

I'm wondering if you're referring to high school credit or college credit?
Hi Jennifer, I was actually spurred to ask the question because I was looking at your Homeschooling for College Credit with Saylor chart, lol.

I have no problem admitting, the more I study, the more confused I get! Forgive me.

I am wondering for high school credit, but I was worried about college credit as well. Since she is going to probably take the clep for both Biology and Chemistry, do I even need to worry about the lab aspect for college at the Big 3? They just consider the diploma and college credits transferring in, correct? Not the classes themselves as if she was "applying" at another college.
TESU & EC do not require a lab course, COSC does.

For college credit, the CLEPs will not give lab credit, so if you want that, you'll need to actually have her take a lab. SL offers them, so does Ed4Credit and a few others.

For high school, I think you get to do what you want. Depends on the state, CA if very liberal about courses and transcripts, other states have different rules.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-26-2017, 02:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU & EC do not require a lab course, COSC does.

For college credit, the CLEPs will not give lab credit, so if you want that, you'll need to actually have her take a lab.  SL offers them, so does Ed4Credit and a few others.

For high school, I think you get to do what you want.  Depends on the state, CA if very liberal about courses and transcripts, other states have different rules.

Thank you for the heads up on COSC. Does SL have you actually buy equipment and do labs?

We are in CA, so I set her graduation requirements. I just was so accustomed to trying to make her transcript college ready before I discovered the Big 3 that I doubt myself now. Seems too good to be true! Lol.
(08-26-2017, 02:27 PM)walkingbyfaith Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 02:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU & EC do not require a lab course, COSC does.

For college credit, the CLEPs will not give lab credit, so if you want that, you'll need to actually have her take a lab.  SL offers them, so does Ed4Credit and a few others.

For high school, I think you get to do what you want.  Depends on the state, CA if very liberal about courses and transcripts, other states have different rules.

Thank you for the heads up on COSC. Does SL have you actually buy equipment and do labs?

We are in CA, so I set her graduation requirements. I just was so accustomed to trying to make her transcript college ready before I discovered the Big 3 that I doubt myself now. Seems too good to be true! Lol.

Yes, with SL, Ed4Credit - you buy lab kits which are sent to you.  About $100 each that I can see.  If you aren't already doing a SL course, then I would go for E4C.  Assuming that you take Biology, at E4C it's $65 for the course, and another $98 for the kit, and you have 4 months to complete it.  If you use SL, you have to pay $99 for the membership for a month, plus $49 for the course plus $79 for the kit, and have to complete it in a month or pay another month of membership.  Of course, with E4C you're limited to Bio or Chem labs, whereas with SL you have a lot more options.

For CA, you get a lot of freedom to decide what to put on your kid's transcript.  There are literally no rules.  So, if you think that her watching a video or doing a virtual lab is enough, you can put "with lab" on the transcript.  It's totally up to you.

I personally would do a science course with a lab, like Apologia, just because we always loved science labs in my house.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-26-2017, 04:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I personally would do a science course with a lab, like Apologia, just because we always loved science labs in my house.

Thank you for that information! You seriously saved me hours of comparing.

The Biology and Chemistry were Apologia (through Virtual Homeschool Group), and the teacher suggested that with watching her do labs and adding just a few labs that we actually do at home she thinks a college might consider it a lab science. If we end up at COSC we will need a college credit lab science, so thank you!
(08-26-2017, 04:36 PM)walkingbyfaith Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 04:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I personally would do a science course with a lab, like Apologia, just because we always loved science labs in my house.

Thank you for that information! You seriously saved me hours of comparing.

The Biology and Chemistry were Apologia (through Virtual Homeschool Group), and the teacher suggested that with watching her do labs and adding just a few labs that we actually do at home she thinks a college might consider it a lab science. If we end up at COSC we will need a college credit lab science, so thank you!

So, you're really talking about 2 different things here.

1) A lab science for high school credit.

2) A lab science for college credit.

Something like Apologia will count as your HS lab science, but not your college one.

Something like SL or E4C will count as a college lab science, and may also count for HS if you want it to.

When planning out your homeschooling, try not to get the 2 confused.  It's perfectly fine to do HS level courses, you won't be doing your HS'er a disservice with it.  Trying to make sure that every course you take is also a college-level course may be a mistake, depending on your child.  It's never wrong to just enjoy the HS years and let your kid be a kid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 262 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,303 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 569 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 397 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,209 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,055 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,342 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Universal Gen Ed Requirements rachel83az 2 345 08-16-2023, 10:21 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 626 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM