Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Classes "With Lab" requirements?
(08-26-2017, 12:44 PM)walkingbyfaith Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 12:30 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 11:58 AM)walkingbyfaith Wrote: My daughter has taken Biology and Chemistry through an online co-op. These were intense classes, but the labs were all done via webcam with only the teacher actually doing them. I know there are also other lab simulator websites and virtual labs. I was wondering if these were enough to claim "with lab" on her transcripts, or if she needs to actually do the labs in person in order to get the credit.

Thanks!

I'm wondering if you're referring to high school credit or college credit?
Hi Jennifer, I was actually spurred to ask the question because I was looking at your Homeschooling for College Credit with Saylor chart, lol.

I have no problem admitting, the more I study, the more confused I get! Forgive me.

I am wondering for high school credit, but I was worried about college credit as well. Since she is going to probably take the clep for both Biology and Chemistry, do I even need to worry about the lab aspect for college at the Big 3? They just consider the diploma and college credits transferring in, correct? Not the classes themselves as if she was "applying" at another college.

Hey! I think Saylor is great for high school - it doesn't get a ton of love here because it's a bit too much for earning quick college credit, but for $25, no one else comes close to that price!

So, don't worry about learning everything, if you know her target school, just learn that school's policy. If it's TESU, ECE, or COSC, you'll be able to get 100% of your questions answered (accurately) here ....not by me lol, but many others here are in progress at those schools and will be up to the minute (my "expertise" from TESU is getting old now lol). But, the good news is that there are giant over-reaching things that you'll learn that will help you with all of the decisions for her and any of your other children, I promise that if you can homeschool, you can learn this too. Just not in 1 day lol.

So, none of the big 3 will ask for specific contents of a high school diploma- only that she has earned a legitimate one. So, be sure you're homeschooling legally in your state (see hslda.org if you're not sure) and if your state has graduation requirements, of course you'll want to comply with those. But, beyond the legal issue, the contents of her diploma are up to you! They will not ask for "4 English Credits" or such. I know it is common for state colleges to have that request, but the big 3 do not.
All 3 have entry age policies, but since your teen will have college credit, she'll be allowed to enroll. (I forget who has which age, but it's probably still 21 for those without college credit or 16 with college credit ) So, when she applies (which she can do when she graduates high school) she'll list all her college credit and be given a waiver. It sounds very scary, but if you search our archives, I don't think anyone has ever been denied admission.

One last thought, if she selects Charter Oak, they have a degree requirement for a lab course. (1 credit) Most people here meet that with a nutrition course. If you WANT her to have a lab, you could have her take that one and it covers your bases for any of the big 3. Forgive me for not remembering the name of the college that offers it- someone else posting will remember Wink or search in the box for nutrition and it should pop up. (to be clear, that's a college degree lab requirement, not high school admission requirement- and it's ONLY if she chooses COSC that she'd need a science lab)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,162 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,871 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,841 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Universal Gen Ed Requirements rachel83az 2 327 08-16-2023, 10:21 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 596 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM