Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science lab input
My son took a nutrition class and a physical science class (heading to COSC). I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of him either signing up for a bio/bio lab OR finding a stand alone nutrition lab. 

I know about Rio Salado for nutrition. Apparently with the fees and 1 credit tuition it would be $270. I've heard it's quick. What is it like?

If I go with Straighterline - $99 fee, bio class and bio lab together apparently are $49 and $69 together so up to around $200. Of course there is SDC - $199. Cookderosa - have your sons finished this?

Maybe discounts with SL or SDC would bring it down to do the bio/bio lab? 

I'm weighing - faster and easier vs. cheaper. 

Any other standalone nutrition labs? How is the bio class? My son is not a big fan of science in general.

Thanks for the input.
He can do the whole biology with lab in Study.com in less that one month for 240 usd and also take a second study.com course in this month.
Study.com is the only provider that offer the LAB option 100% online, i think it is the best option.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
[-] The following 1 user Likes cecilgambe7's post:
  • Clepper43
Study.com is $199 for the membership for a month, that would include Bio 101L + an additional course, and then $40 for the virtual lab. So $239 for 7cr. (or more depending on if you took a course with more credits).

Nothing else is going to be cheaper per-credit, I don't think.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43
(10-06-2019, 09:06 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: My son took a nutrition class and a physical science class (heading to COSC). I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of him either signing up for a bio/bio lab OR finding a stand alone nutrition lab. 

I know about Rio Salado for nutrition. Apparently with the fees and 1 credit tuition it would be $270. I've heard it's quick. What is it like?

If I go with Straighterline - $99 fee, bio class and bio lab together apparently are $49 and $69 together so up to around $200. Of course there is SDC - $199. Cookderosa - have your sons finished this?

Any other standalone nutrition labs? How is the bio class? My son is not a big fan of science in general.

Thanks for the input.

My son just finished the RIO Nutrition lab. The course ends on 10/12 so he is waiting for his transcript to send to COSC.
It's laid out perfectly - really really nice. Very organized! Grade book and assignments have checkboxes. His teacher is Barbara Khan - highly suggest taking her section. Fair grader, good feedback.

There is a pdf lesson to read (a page or two) followed by an assignment (answer the questions). In the first week you do a 3 day dietary record, which you can do before starting the class if you're trying to be efficient. Then, you'll use your results for several of the assignments.

My son has 2 part time jobs and took 12 credits while doing the lab to give you an idea of his schedule. He took Nutrition course through SL a while back, you could do the lab without having any preexisting nutrition knowledge. He did 1 lesson per school day for the most part and finished in 2 1/2 weeks. He enjoyed it and said he wished he could have used Rio for other classes.

You have to buy the diet software download, and take screenshots for some assignments and insert them into your worksheet. I have the link http://www.pearsonhighered.com/mydietanalysis/

Grading Procedure

There are 1400 possible points for this course.
14 At-Home Labs (aka worksheets)= (100 points each)
Total Points Possible = 1400 points

There are NO exams.
Thank you! That sounds like a positive experience!

Kathy
(10-07-2019, 08:12 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: Thank you! That sounds like a positive experience!

Kathy

very much so! Good luck!
(10-07-2019, 08:02 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 09:06 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: My son took a nutrition class and a physical science class (heading to COSC). I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of him either signing up for a bio/bio lab OR finding a stand alone nutrition lab. 

Thanks for the input.

My son just finished the RIO Nutrition lab.  The course ends on 10/12 so he is waiting for his transcript to send to COSC.  
It's laid out perfectly - really really nice.  Very organized! Grade book and assignments have checkboxes. His teacher is Barbara Khan - highly suggest taking her section.  Fair grader, good feedback.

There is a pdf lesson to read (a page or two) followed by an assignment (answer the questions).  In the first week you do a 3 day dietary record, which you can do before starting the class if you're trying to be efficient.   Then, you'll use your results for several of the assignments.  

My son has 2 part time jobs and took 12 credits while doing the lab to give you an idea of his schedule. He took Nutrition course through SL a while back, you could do the lab without having any preexisting nutrition knowledge.  He did 1 lesson per school day for the most part and finished in 2 1/2 weeks.  He enjoyed it and said he wished he could have used Rio for other classes.

You have to buy the diet software download, and take screenshots for some assignments and insert them into your worksheet.   I have the link  http://www.pearsonhighered.com/mydietanalysis/

Grading Procedure

There are NO exams.

Once he send the transcript to COSC and gets the analisys from them, may you please share it with us in the forum.

Some things changes in COSC, so it is good to have some fresh transcripts examples to know how every course transfer now to COSC.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
[-] The following 2 users Like cecilgambe7's post:
  • Clepper43, cookderosa
(10-08-2019, 08:56 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 08:02 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

Thanks for the input.

My son just finished the RIO Nutrition lab.  The course ends on 10/12 so he is waiting for his transcript to send to COSC.  
It's laid out perfectly - really really nice.  Very organized! Grade book and assignments have checkboxes. His teacher is Barbara Khan - highly suggest taking her section.  Fair grader, good feedback.

There is a pdf lesson to read (a page or two) followed by an assignment (answer the questions).  In the first week you do a 3 day dietary record, which you can do before starting the class if you're trying to be efficient.   Then, you'll use your results for several of the assignments.  

My son has 2 part time jobs and took 12 credits while doing the lab to give you an idea of his schedule. He took Nutrition course through SL a while back, you could do the lab without having any preexisting nutrition knowledge.  He did 1 lesson per school day for the most part and finished in 2 1/2 weeks.  He enjoyed it and said he wished he could have used Rio for other classes.

You have to buy the diet software download, and take screenshots for some assignments and insert them into your worksheet.   I have the link  http://www.pearsonhighered.com/mydietanalysis/

Grading Procedure

There are NO exams.

Once he send the transcript to COSC and gets the analisys from them, may you please share it with us in the forum.

Some things changes in COSC, so it is good to have some fresh transcripts examples to know how every course transfer now to COSC.

Sure. If you could remind me, that would help Wink

Thanks for the input.

If I had to take a science lab course at this point, I would definitely do this one - no way do I want to do anything else, even if this is more expensive.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43
(10-09-2019, 02:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks for the input.

If I had to take a science lab course at this point, I would definitely do this one - no way do I want to do anything else, even if this is more expensive.

I took all my sciences as a distance learner and there were plenty of labs that were just torture. That said, Rio was smooth sailing. There aren't even "labs" just worksheets where you type your answers to the questions. 2 of my sons needed a science lab, but only one took it - the one who I would say is less academic - no trouble at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,523 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 593 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 664 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Sophia is adding Science Labs ashkir 25 3,404 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,585 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SDC: Computer Science 107 vs Analytics 103? raekwon 7 1,727 06-13-2022, 01:58 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  LL Political Science Courses Jennr2z 2 770 06-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  What are the quickest social science options for the BOG? Midnightsky7 13 1,431 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  2 courses in one science debrag 4 931 09-08-2021, 02:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Computer Science 201 | Data Structures & Algorithms akr680 2 1,533 08-31-2021, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Pats20