Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking advice on Natural Science Plan
Thanks, everyone for your fantastic input! - Really!!! I took a quick run at a plan here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing  Feedback welcome.  Didn't know that the TESU classes need to be taken in the same term so I'm not sure about the residency waiver.  And I didn't see a cornerstone class is that still a requirement? https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-studies

(01-30-2022, 08:51 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Assuming you can transfer in Discrete Math and Computer Architecture from SDC, the easiest way to do this for a Comp Sci degree would be:

Capstone
Cornerstone
PLA-100
Software Engineering
CIS-107 ePack
ART-100 or some random ePack

The ePacks are single exams, like TECEPs, but they cost the same as full courses and count towards residency. PLA-100 takes about a day to finish. The cornerstone can be mostly finished in a couple of days. Software Engineering takes 20-30 hours of work. This leaves the discussion posts for the cornerstone + the capstone to complete. Plus ART-100,  if you chose that instead of another ePack. The first week or two might be a bit rough, but the rest should be relatively smooth sailing. Even if you have to pay for an extension for the Capstone, that's still cheaper than paying the waiver.
[Image: passed-out-chicken.png]
I need to double-check which thread I'm posting in, lol!

Okay, for a BALS, the 16 credits would be a little different.

Capstone
Cornerstone (SOS-110)
PLA-100
CIS-107 (this is super easy, no study is required for most people)
2 ePacks OR ART-100/COM-339 and/or ePacks

See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...timization for a list of "can't fail" courses. I think PHI-130 was also mentioned as a possible course.

Now, you don't HAVE to take all 16 credits in a single term. But this is the only way to take advantage of flat-rate pricing AND not have to pay the residency waiver.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • DezCez
Yes, the cornerstone is the SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy course. You can't transfer that and the Capstone into the degree program. Do you have many commitments? What is the time frame you would like to complete this by? How about a budget, a specific amount you would like to complete this degree... we can try to provide options that can lower the cost, in many cases, we'll try to save you energy, time as well... If you're going for the BALS with an NSM concentration (more on the Biology/Natural Science side of things), you're looking at taking courses elsewhere at the lower level and upper level.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-30-2022, 09:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, the cornerstone is the SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy course.  You can't transfer that and the Capstone into the degree program.  Do you have many commitments? What is the time frame you would like to complete this by? How about a budget, a specific amount you would like to complete this degree... we can try to provide options that can lower the cost, in many cases, we'll try to save you energy, time as well...  If you're going for the BALS with an NSM concentration (more on the Biology/Natural Science side of things), you're looking at taking courses elsewhere at the lower level and upper level.

Ah okay thanks, roger I have to take the cornerstone class.  I don't have any looming commitments but would like to advance in my job asap and for that, I need a bachelor's.  I'd love to finish in a year if possible.  I checked with the powers that be at work and I just need the degree, I can get certifications later to meet specific needs.  Lowering time, energy and costs would be amazing!

degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison_State_University#TESU_Credit_Optimization for a list of "can't fail" courses. I think PHI-130 was also mentioned as a possible course.

(01-30-2022, 10:51 PM)DezCez Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 09:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, the cornerstone is the SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy course.  You can't transfer that and the Capstone into the degree program.  Do you have many commitments? What is the time frame you would like to complete this by? How about a budget, a specific amount you would like to complete this degree... we can try to provide options that can lower the cost, in many cases, we'll try to save you energy, time as well...  If you're going for the BALS with an NSM concentration (more on the Biology/Natural Science side of things), you're looking at taking courses elsewhere at the lower level and upper level.

Ah okay thanks, roger I have to take the cornerstone class.  I don't have any looming commitments but would like to advance in my job asap and for that, I need a bachelor's.  I'd love to finish in a year if possible.  I checked with the powers that be at work and I just need the degree, I can get certifications later to meet specific needs.  Lowering time, energy and costs would be amazing!

degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison_State_University#TESU_Credit_Optimization for a list of "can't fail" courses. I think PHI-130 was also mentioned as a possible course.

OH sweeeeeet - a can't fail list!  Thank you.
Do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement from work? If you have tuition assistance or reimbursement, you can take two terms for the 16 credits. I noticed you already have the BOG AAS Associates from Pierpont but it's in "general studies" vs a specific emphasis... Earlier, I mentioned you can get an ASNSM Biology as you're just missing a few Bio courses, you can then ladder that up to the BALS NSM.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-31-2022, 12:33 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement from work?  If you have tuition assistance or reimbursement, you can take two terms for the 16 credits.   I noticed you already have the BOG AAS Associates from Pierpont but it's in "general studies" vs a specific emphasis... Earlier, I mentioned you can get an ASNSM Biology as you're just missing a few Bio courses, you can then ladder that up to the BALS NSM.

Thanks @bjcheung77!  The AA from Pierpont got me my job - so grateful!  To move up I need a bachelor's so focusing on that that.  

After everyone's input (much appreciated!) I have updated my plan https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Things could change after my evaluation...I *think* I've covered the important pieces - 16 TESU credits, 18 total UL credits (9 in my concentration and 9 elsewhere). 

I have 21 "Electives" to fulfill.  I found this list of free/almost free sources of credit https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit of freebies

I'm exploring tuition assistance.
I'm not certain where you got this plan, it's kind of hard to read. But here are the issues I can see:

TESU won't take Human Comm as Oral Comm requirement.
World Geography does not cover Civic Comm, you need Am Govt or Comparative Politics
NAU COM 150 is listed twice in the AoS
Cybersecurity IT is not a Liberal Arts AoS course, move to Free Electives
Sophia's Developing Effective Teams is only 1cr and a Free elective - remove from AoS
Medical Terminology is a Free Elective
Insurance Ethics is not available to transfer to TESU unless you already have it there
Developing Effective Teams is listed as a Free Elective 2nd time
Sophia's The Essentials of Managing Conflict is only 1cr and can be moved to AoS
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-31-2022, 11:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote: @dfrecor!  I'm a fan. Thank you!! A lot to learn...my comments/questions below inline.

I'm not certain where you got this plan, it's kind of hard to read.   But here are the issues I can see:

TESU won't take Human Comm as Oral Comm requirement. Sigh, ok
World Geography does not cover Civic Comm, you need Am Govt or Comparative Politics I thought I could take any 9 credits from the Civ and Global Leadership list? https://www.screencast.com/t/rEqttEQj
NAU COM 150 is listed twice in the AoS Thanks, fixed
Cybersecurity IT is not a Liberal Arts AoS course, move to Free Electives Done (Curious - this is why I thought I could include it there https://www.screencast.com/t/hoYKOFP2D)
Sophia's Developing Effective Teams is only 1cr and a Free elective - remove from AoS Done
Medical Terminology is a Free Elective That was one of two options so I removed it
Insurance Ethics is not available to transfer to TESU unless you already have it there ok
Developing Effective Teams is listed as a Free Elective 2nd time remove 2nd entry
Sophia's The Essentials of Managing Conflict is only 1cr and can be moved to AoS thanks, moved!
For part B (civic & global leadership), the first course can be "anything". The second needs to be ethics. The third needs to be "government/politics". See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...Leadership It's not made super clear if you're just looking at the catalog, but it's abundantly clear once you have a degree plan in OSS.

Cybersecurity is not computer science. At least, not per TESU's thoughts. Comp Sci students cannot use TEEX's credits for anything but free electives. Nor can CIS. You need to be taking their Cybersecurity degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-31-2022, 01:11 PM)rachel83az Wrote: For part B (civic & global leadership), the first course can be "anything". The second needs to be ethics. The third needs to be "government/politics". See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...Leadership It's not made super clear if you're just looking at the catalog, but it's abundantly clear once you have a degree plan in OSS.

Cybersecurity is not computer science. At least, not per TESU's thoughts. Comp Sci students cannot use TEEX's credits for anything but free electives. Nor can CIS. You need to be taking their Cybersecurity degree.

@rachel83az Thanks for explaining! I *think* I made all the recommended tweaks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbiw Advice - Direction - Reality Check OchoNombres 1 54 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 96 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 96 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,602 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 579 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 131 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 226 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 644 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 284 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,225 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK