Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking advice on Natural Science Plan
(01-29-2022, 01:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote: ASU has an online bachelor's designed for pre-vet:

https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-...-medicine/

They also have biological sciences:

https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-...iences-bs/

Thanks!  I looked into this.  The crazy thing about ASU is that they only accept about 1/2 my earned credits and it's super expensive to take UL classes that would transfer.
I don't think you'll find anywhere online you can complete UL science courses on the cheap. There aren't a ton of science options online at most schools especially UL. If cost is an issue as well as time then sticking with your psychology degree maybe the way to go. Or a bachelor's in liberal arts/studies. Based on what you've already completed, you could finish the BLS at UMPI in 2 sessions - so a semester. You'd need a few more ACE courses, but they can be done before the next session begins in March. Just something to think about if you want your degree fast and for little money.

Just a note about the BLS at UMPI....here's all you need from Sophia and InstantCert to start in March:

InstantCert:
American Government

Sophia:
Environmental Science
Introduction to Ethics
Art History 1

That's what you need to fill up the GEC (their gen eds). You can take extra courses and make sure you're at the 90 credit mark. You'd be really close already. You'd just need to pick a minor and complete 30 credits at UMPI. You really could finish this degree by early May. Maybe sooner depending on how quickly you could complete your UMPI courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jch
Thanks very much for all your replies! Seems like TESU BALS NSM might be the winner. I'm not clear on the recommendation "TESU BALS degree with a NatSci AA" is that because UL courses will be hard to come by for a BALS NSM? So for the 15 needed UL credits in Natural Sciences— A combed other threads and found 3 UL contenders - Microbiology, Pathophysiology, and Coopersmith's Physiological Psychology (PSY-374). I think I could manage to pay for the final two UL courses 2BIO-310 Man's Best Friend and ? would this work?
You can find UL NSM courses here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...centration
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-29-2022, 06:34 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You can find UL NSM courses here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...centration

OH - Thank you!!!  I see...!!!
@DezCez, are you planning to take the 16 credit residency or are you planning to pay the residency waiver fee? You can follow the link provided to you if you're going to pay the residency waiver fee and not take any courses but the cornerstone/capstone.

Technically, you just need 9 upper level credits in NSM subjects (Bio, CS, Math, etc) and you need 9 credits that are lower level in those subjects. Make sure to have at least 15 UL credits total. Then there are the liberal arts electives (all can be lower level credits).

One final thing to remember is, you must have 30 RA credits. So, do you have any community college credits already? The cornerstone and capstone will be 6 credits, you just need 24 RA credits more to meet this requirement.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-30-2022, 01:16 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @DezCez, are you planning to take the 16 credit residency or are you planning to pay the residency waiver fee?  You can follow the link provided to you if you're going to pay the residency waiver fee and not take any courses but the cornerstone/capstone.

Technically, you just need 9 upper level credits in NSM subjects (Bio, CS, Math, etc) and you need 9 credits that are lower level in those subjects.  Make sure to have at least 15 UL credits total.  Then there are the liberal arts electives (all can be lower level credits).  

One final thing to remember is, you must have 30 RA credits.  So, do you have any community college credits already?  The cornerstone and capstone will be 6 credits, you just need 24 RA credits more to meet this requirement.

@bjcheung77 - Many thanks for that information!!  I'm glad you clarified that I only need 9 UL credits in NSM + 9 lower and the other UL credits can be elsewhere, that wasn't clear to me.  https://www.screencast.com/t/jr434I0x5l

About the residency fee - hmmm. Wow, thank you I'm glad you brought that up!  I found @rachel83az's post https://www.screencast.com/t/n8qtE3l0 (thanks@rachel...)   I just applied to TESU yesterday and sent over all my transfer credits for evaluation.  Next up is putting my plan together and this changes things - I think I will try and take 16 credits with TESU.

I'm close to covering my RA credits.  I have the following:

1. Northern Arizona University
  • ANT 209 3 cr Anthropology
  • COM 150 3 cr Communications
  • GLG 107 3 cr Oceanography
  • GSP 240 3 cr World Geography
  • MAT 114 3 cr Math, Quantitive Reasoning
  • BIO 181 3 cr Biology
  • BIO 181L 1 cr Biology Lab
  • ENG 105 4 cr English
2. Arizona State University
  • ENG 288 3 cr English
  • SPA 111 3 cr Spanish
3. Maricopa Community Colleges
  • BIO 160 4 cr Human Anatomy
  • ENG 101 3 cr English Composition
  • ENG 102 3 cr English Composition
  • COM 100 3 cr Human Communications
  • THE 210 3 cr Theater
  • HIS 108 3 cr US History
  • PSY 101 3 cr Psychology
  • SOC 212 3 cr Sociology Gender and Society
  • BIO 105 4 cr Environmental Biology
  • COM 230 3 cr Small Group Communication
ACE Credit
  • Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online course) AICP-0121 
  • National Emergency Training Center (NFA) NNFA-0149
  • Sophia
  1. Developing Effective Teams SOPH-0021
  2. Essentials of Managing Conflict SOPH-0026
  • Texas Engineering Extension Service
  1. Cyber Security for Everyone TEEX-0250
  2. Cyber Security for IT Professionals TEEX-0251
  3. Cyber Security for Business Professionals TEEX-0252
You have way more than enough RA credits as it stands right now! The biggest issue is whether you want to pay the residency waiver or take the 16 credits in a single term.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(01-30-2022, 05:43 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You have way more than enough RA credits as it stands right now! The biggest issue is whether you want to pay the residency waiver or take the 16 credits in a single term.

Single term? Gulp.
Assuming you can transfer in Discrete Math and Computer Architecture from SDC, the easiest way to do this for a Comp Sci degree would be:

Capstone
Cornerstone
PLA-100
Software Engineering
CIS-107 ePack
ART-100 or some random ePack

The ePacks are single exams, like TECEPs, but they cost the same as full courses and count towards residency. PLA-100 takes about a day to finish. The cornerstone can be mostly finished in a couple of days. Software Engineering takes 20-30 hours of work. This leaves the discussion posts for the cornerstone + the capstone to complete. Plus ART-100, if you chose that instead of another ePack. The first week or two might be a bit rough, but the rest should be relatively smooth sailing. Even if you have to pay for an extension for the Capstone, that's still cheaper than paying the waiver.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 0 26 2 hours ago
Last Post: Frederico.Sandoval
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 5 120 8 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 597 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,250 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 220 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,177 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 1,980 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 525 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 390 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 174 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77