Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop University Math Courses
(11-17-2017, 01:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't think RANSOMSOUL's daughter is a math major (?) so I don't think she would be able to find that out.  A math major would have to ask for the course(s) to be planned into their degree to find out.

One thing it does say on the BA in Math degree though - that Geometry only counts if it has Calculus as a prereq.  So they are expected to be a certain level to fit into the AOS electives - I'm guessing that College Algebra won't fit in there.

That is correct dfrecore - she is focused on a BSBA but interesting enough, most likely gearing towards a Masters in Finance, Economics or Mathematics.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Just for folks interested in shmoop geometry: might want to check with TESU if it is 2 or 3 credits. I believe it is the former.
(11-17-2017, 07:55 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Just for folks interested in shmoop geometry: might want to check with TESU if it is 2 or 3 credits. I believe it is the former.

No need to check, it's a 2cr course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I emailed TESU Academic Advising, listed all Math courses on Shmoop and specifically said that I plan on taking Finite Math and College Geometry. Below is their feedback:

"The courses that you have listed above will transfer in as lower level math courses and will not be able to fulfill any sections that you currently needing courses for. Other than Calculus I and II the remainder of the Area of Study will need to be completed with upper level courses."

They didn't give me a transfer equivalencies. I was really hoping College Geometry will transfer as an upper level since I switch to BA in Mathematics.
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019
It has been told to other students that Geometry will come in as MAT-361.

Finite Math for sure is LL, MAT-110. That is normally a precursor to Stats.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-01-2017, 02:07 AM)dfrecore Wrote: It has been told to other students that Geometry will come in as MAT-361.

Finite Math for sure is LL, MAT-110.  That is normally a precursor to Stats.

I've read that it transferred as MAT-361 under Gen Ed electives. As a Math major, as you suggested, I asked the Academic Advising and that was the respond I got. Lets' say it goes under GenEd electives, it wouldn't count towards my upper level requirements as it needs to be in my AOS, correct?
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019
Good evening all,
Just found this old thread and hoping someone can help...

I am attempting to complete math courses through study.com which just isn’t going well. It’s really overwhelming with the amount of information to learn/memorize/execute for the final proctored exam. I BARELY passed MAT97 which is supposed to be one of the EASIEST courses on there so that was beyond discouraging. I am currently in MAT101 on study and I am not learning and retaining the necessary info to pass their practice final - yet alone the real one.

With that being said, can someone please if possible shed some light on the SHMOOP math courses? I know many people think shmoop is annoying but I just need to pass these math courses at this point.

Any help, insight, or tips for shmoop math courses for someone with not much prior math knowledge?

I like that none of shmoop requires proctored exams and if it’s just a matter of going through the lessons in a time consuming manner I would gladly do that if I knew i could pass and get the credit for the class.

Thanks ALL in advance. Gaining these math credits are very important (and necessary) to me at my stage of life and it’s not going that well with study...
I am in the same boat. I don't have any tips but I'm looking at Shmoop for math as well. Math is hands-down my worst subject and the non-proctored exams appeal to me. Otherwise, there's a good chance the proctor will be watching me sob in fetal position on the floor.

For a BSBA, I need Statistics, and either College Algebra or Quantitative Business Analysis. Reading the descriptions, I can't tell which Shmoop courses correspond to that. Math II? Algebra II? Does anyone know which class would work, and also which one would be the easiest to take to fulfill that requirement?
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
(03-29-2018, 11:44 PM)Muldoon Wrote: I am in the same boat. I don't have any tips but I'm looking at Shmoop for math as well. Math is hands-down my worst subject and the non-proctored exams appeal to me. Otherwise, there's a good chance the proctor will be watching me sob in fetal position on the floor.

For a BSBA, I need Statistics, and either College Algebra or Quantitative Business Analysis. Reading the descriptions, I can't tell which Shmoop courses correspond to that. Math II? Algebra II? Does anyone know which class would work, and also which one would be the easiest to take to fulfill that requirement?

Shmoop Finite Math should be evaluated by TESU as MAT-110 (Finite Mathematics) @ 3 sh. However, I've also seen older evaluations where it was transferred in as Quantitative Business Analysis. Both should meet the GenEd for Quantitative Literacy so it shouldn't matter. Finite Math is also supposed to be one of the easier math courses that Shmoop offers. The course also provides an intro to Statistics, which may help if you follow up with the Shmoop Statistics course.

Shmoop Algebra I + Algebra II together should be evaluated by TESU as MAT-121 (College Algebra) @ 3 sh.
Shmoop Mathematics II should also be evaluated by TESU as MAT-121 (College Algebra) but only @ 2 sh.

Shmoop Statistics should be evaluated by TESU as STA-201 (Principles of Statistics) @ 3 sh.

Since Shmoop doesn't have a transfer agreement in place with TESU, you may want to pre-approve any Shmoop courses you plan to take with an advisor to be sure of how they will be evaluated before you take them.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Okay, thank you!
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,440 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 996 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 711 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,353 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,911 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,047 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,088 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 599 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 340 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 715 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat