Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop University Math Courses
dfrecore Wrote:Not that anyone has posted here.

Here's a guess:

Algebra I AND Algebra II (must take both for the credit) probably equate to MAT-121
Pre-Calc probably is MAT-129
Finite Math probably equates to MAT-110 (I took Finite Math at CC and this is what it came in as)
Geometry may come in as MAT-361
Math I, II, and III are unknowns
Pre-Algebra I & II should be developmental and won't transfer in

If anyone has transferred Shmoop math courses, please chime in!

Thanks. The ACE site says:
"Credit Recommendation: Students must complete this course(SHMO-0007) and Pre-Algebra II (SHMO-0008) to receive the credit recommendation of 3 semester hours in college mathematics in the lower-division baccalaureate degree category (7/16)."

Does anyone know of a college that will give credit for this? I am googling but nothing is jumping out. I'm going to continue searching but thought maybe someone else already found the answer. My middle schoolers have completed pre-algebra at home. I was going to have them do pre-algebra practice exercises over the summer anyway so as not to lose skills, before diving into Algebra in the Fall. But if there is a college that will accept this as credit, I could have them work thru shmoop and get that credit. Smile
bellbaby Wrote:Thanks. The ACE site says:
"Credit Recommendation: Students must complete this course(SHMO-0007) and Pre-Algebra II (SHMO-0008) to receive the credit recommendation of 3 semester hours in college mathematics in the lower-division baccalaureate degree category (7/16)."

Does anyone know of a college that will give credit for this? I am googling but nothing is jumping out. I'm going to continue searching but thought maybe someone else already found the answer. My middle schoolers have completed pre-algebra at home. I was going to have them do pre-algebra practice exercises over the summer anyway so as not to lose skills, before diving into Algebra in the Fall. But if there is a college that will accept this as credit, I could have them work thru shmoop and get that credit. Smile

There's ACE-recommended for college credit, and then there's actually getting college credit for something.

I don't think you'll find a college that will consider Pre-Algebra as college-level.

Also, it doesn't matter if it does, if your kids don't end up going there. Just because a college will accept the course and give credit for it, doesn't mean it will transfer somewhere. So you just have random college credit sitting at a school somewhere...

Your best bet, if you're thinking about having them take this course, is to just have them take it (doesn't cost extra besides the monthly fee which you'd have to pay anyway) and then open ACE accounts for them and have it transferred there. Then, at some time in the future, they went to a school that would accept it, great. It won't have cost you anything to have the ACE account for all that time, and a minimal $15 to send the ACE transcript in when you were ready.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:There's ACE-recommended for college credit, and then there's actually getting college credit for something.

I don't think you'll find a college that will consider Pre-Algebra as college-level.

Also, it doesn't matter if it does, if your kids don't end up going there. Just because a college will accept the course and give credit for it, doesn't mean it will transfer somewhere. So you just have random college credit sitting at a school somewhere...

Your best bet, if you're thinking about having them take this course, is to just have them take it (doesn't cost extra besides the monthly fee which you'd have to pay anyway) and then open ACE accounts for them and have it transferred there. Then, at some time in the future, they went to a school that would accept it, great. It won't have cost you anything to have the ACE account for all that time, and a minimal $15 to send the ACE transcript in when you were ready.

Oh, yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I just was skeptical about Shmoop claiming college credit for a class most colleges don't accept as credit?
bellbaby Wrote:Oh, yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I just was skeptical about Shmoop claiming college credit for a class most colleges don't accept as credit?

Well, they're saying that some (or a few) take it.

I mentioned this in another thread but it might have got buried. As an enrolled TESU student I asked advising (specifically about the three maths, I forgot to ask about geometry).

TESU Advising says that:
The Shmoop University courses will transfer as follows:
Mathematics I= MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra
Mathematics II= MAT-121 College Algebra
Mathematics III= MAT-129 PreCalculus
NonTrad Wrote:I mentioned this in another thread but it might have got buried. As an enrolled TESU student I asked advising (specifically about the three maths, I forgot to ask about geometry).

TESU Advising says that:
The Shmoop University courses will transfer as follows:
Mathematics I= MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra
Mathematics II= MAT-121 College Algebra
Mathematics III= MAT-129 PreCalculus

Can you ask about PreAlgebra I & II, Algebra I & II, Finite Math, Geometry, and Precalculus?

I have all of my math, Gen Ed and Free Electives, so they usually won't tell me what the course equivalencies are, they tell me that those courses are fulfilled and not to take any of them!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Had my daugher ask about a few more courses and here was the response:

Geometry will transfer MAT-361, College Geometry and will be used as 3 credits in general ed electives.

Finite Math will transfer as MAT-110, Finite Mathematics and will be used as 3 credits in general ed electives.

Unfortuntely, there was a discconect on how Algebra I & II transfer in because all she got back for those two clases was:

'You can only earn credit for Algebra II if you take Algebra I as well'.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(09-05-2017, 09:42 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: Had my daugher ask about a few more courses and here was the response:

Geometry will transfer MAT-361, College Geometry and will be used as 3 credits in general ed electives.

Finite Math will transfer as MAT-110, Finite Mathematics and will be used as 3 credits in general ed electives.

We knew about Geometry, but not about Finite Math (although I guessed since I took it as a regular course at CC and that's what it came in as).
(09-05-2017, 11:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 09:42 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: Had my daugher ask about a few more courses and here was the response:

We knew about Geometry, but not about Finite Math (although I guessed since I took it as a regular course at CC and that's what it came in as).

So none of these will cover Math Electives for TESU BA in Math. I thought the College Geometry will.
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019
(11-17-2017, 12:03 AM)docmarvin Wrote: [quote pid='241699' dateline='1504672427']

So none of these will cover Math Electives for TESU BA in Math. I thought the College Geometry will.

[/quote]

I don't think RANSOMSOUL's daughter is a math major (?) so I don't think she would be able to find that out.  A math major would have to ask for the course(s) to be planned into their degree to find out.

One thing it does say on the BA in Math degree though - that Geometry only counts if it has Calculus as a prereq.  So they are expected to be a certain level to fit into the AOS electives - I'm guessing that College Algebra won't fit in there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,324 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 891 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,510 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,843 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,041 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 575 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 328 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 701 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat