Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I enroll or wait? Excelsior degree plan help.
Hello to all thank you in advance.  I've been in process of sending my transcripts to Excelsior and TESU.  Excelsior has awarded me more credits than TESU so it seems more logical that I use them.  Can anyone help me map out the rest of the classes I need to take or should I just bite the bullet and enroll.  As many here money is tight so I am trying to finish this without spending more than I need to.

Attached Files
.pdf   degree bsla.pdf (Size: 181.93 KB / Downloads: 55)
(03-02-2019, 04:39 AM)ddillenberger Wrote: Hello to all thank you in advance.  I've been in process of sending my transcripts to Excelsior and TESU.  Excelsior has awarded me more credits than TESU so it seems more logical that I use them.  Can anyone help me map out the rest of the classes I need to take or should I just bite the bullet and enroll.  As many here money is tight so I am trying to finish this without spending more than I need to.
It depends on why you're getting the degree. For example, if you're using the degree as a credential to work abroad, you would want to make sure your school is on the approved list for your intended country. Some people have run into this with 'online' degrees regardless of accreditation.

I don't think there's anything urgent about enrolling considering their $1000+ enrollment fee. It looks like you haven't taken the English requirement yet? Why don't you start with that and check whether they require a written essay, etc?

Also, it would help to tell us whether you're close to CLEP and DSST testing locations.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • suzycupcake
I am about 5 miles away from a clep testing center. I am enrolled in straighterline English Comp class.
The main reason I am pursuing degree is to get a raise at work. My employer offers a bonus if I have a bachelor degree. Thanks for response.
(03-02-2019, 06:42 AM)ddillenberger Wrote: I am about 5 miles away from a clep testing center.    I am enrolled in straighterline English Comp class.  
The main reason I am pursuing degree is to get a raise at work.   My employer offers a bonus if I have a bachelor degree.   Thanks for response.
Oh, okay. I would start working on the upper level credits. We can't pick the two concentrations for you, but you need to choose subjects where many upper level credits are available. Business, psychology, and sociology are easier to find 300-400 level classes. TESU, Exelsior, and DSST have quite a few exams for upper level credits. I don't know if Exelsior accepts Davar credits, but they might be an option. Study.com has more upper level classes now, too.

I'm not as familiar with Exelsior, but I think that should help.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(03-02-2019, 04:39 AM)ddillenberger Wrote: Hello to all thank you in advance.  I've been in process of sending my transcripts to Excelsior and TESU.  Excelsior has awarded me more credits than TESU so it seems more logical that I use them.  Can anyone help me map out the rest of the classes I need to take or should I just bite the bullet and enroll.  As many here money is tight so I am trying to finish this without spending more than I need to.

If you're trying to save money I would hold off on enrolling.  Excelsior charges a fee for every year you're enrolled.  So it's better to wait until you're sure you're within a year of completion to enroll.

Excelsior accepts any credits that fit into your degree plan that are recommended for credit by either ACE or NCCRS.  So there is are a wide range of education providers to choose from - Clep/DSST/Straighterline/SDC/Davar/Coopersmith/Sophia/OnlineDegree.com plus others.  

OnlineDegree.com has a few free courses that fit into your gen ed requirements:
Natural Science:
https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-course...cosystems/
https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-course...yrosphere/
Social Science:
https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-course...sychology/

For me Excelsior accepted the principles of statistics DSST to satisfy the math requirement.  Otherwise they'll require college algebra or above.  They also recommended the Information Literacy course from Davar as an affordable option.  I took it and was able to complete it in a weekend.  

Good luck on your journey!
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kima's post:
  • suzycupcake
(03-02-2019, 07:08 AM)udi Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 06:42 AM)ddillenberger Wrote: I am about 5 miles away from a clep testing center.    I am enrolled in straighterline English Comp class.  
The main reason I am pursuing degree is to get a raise at work.   My employer offers a bonus if I have a bachelor degree.   Thanks for response.
Oh, okay. I would start working on the upper level credits. We can't pick the two concentrations for you, but you need to choose subjects where many upper level credits are available. Business, psychology, and sociology are easier to find 300-400 level classes. TESU, Exelsior, and DSST have quite a few exams for upper level credits. I don't know if Exelsior accepts Davar credits, but they might be an option. Study.com has more upper level classes now, too.

I'm not as familiar with Exelsior, but I think that should help.
thanks for the advice

(03-02-2019, 01:34 PM)Kima Wrote:

If you're trying to save money I would hold off on enrolling.  Excelsior charges a fee for every year you're enrolled.  So it's better to wait until you're sure you're within a year of completion to enroll.

Excelsior accepts any credits that fit into your degree plan that are recommended for credit by either ACE or NCCRS.  So there is are a wide range of education providers to choose from - Clep/DSST/Straighterline/SDC/Davar/Coopersmith/Sophia/OnlineDegree.com plus others.  

OnlineDegree.com has a few free courses that fit into your gen ed requirements:
Natural Science:
https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-course...cosystems/
https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-course...yrosphere/
Social Science:
https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-course...sychology/

For me Excelsior accepted the principles of statistics DSST to satisfy the math requirement.  Otherwise they'll require college algebra or above.  They also recommended the Information Literacy course from Davar as an affordable option.  I took it and was able to complete it in a weekend.  

Good luck on your journey!

thanks!
You only posted your EC eval, so it's hard to compare.

For a BSBA, TESU requires College Algebra and Stats, while EC requires Precalc and Stats.

EC requires 30cr of UL throughout the degree, while TESU only requires 12cr of UL in the AOS, and it's very easy for us to tell you what will/won't be accepted there. So I guess it's that TESU is the easiest of the Big 3 to plan a degree for. Their business program is also ACBSP-accredited.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-03-2019, 01:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You only posted your EC eval, so it's hard to compare.

For a BSBA, TESU requires College Algebra and Stats, while EC requires Precalc and Stats.

EC requires 30cr of UL throughout the degree, while TESU only requires 12cr of UL in the AOS, and it's very easy for us to tell you what will/won't be accepted there.  So I guess it's that TESU is the easiest of the Big 3 to plan a degree for.  Their business program is also ACBSP-accredited.

Here is the TESU eval I received.  I do think the format they use is much easier to understand!

Attached Files
.pdf   tesu.pdf (Size: 392.02 KB / Downloads: 24)
(03-03-2019, 08:33 AM)ddillenberger Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 01:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You only posted your EC eval, so it's hard to compare.

EC requires 30cr of UL throughout the degree, while TESU only requires 12cr of UL in the AOS, and it's very easy for us to tell you what will/won't be accepted there.  So I guess it's that TESU is the easiest of the Big 3 to plan a degree for.  Their business program is also ACBSP-accredited.

Here is the TESU eval I received.  I do think the format they use is much easier to understand!

Yes, the one thing that TESU does better than the other 2 is the eval - but I think that somewhat has to do with not allowing double-dipping.

With all of the credits you have, yes, TESU isn't going to let you use them.  I'm going to suggest that you apply to COSC, as they may allow you to actually use those Fire/EMT credits as a concentration in your major.  You'd have to come up with a 2nd group of credits that are UL (maybe Healthcare Management, Leadership, Psych, Human Services, or CJ/Homeland Security); and then you'd have an interesting customized degree (and choose a BS not a BA, so that more credits like these can be used).

Also, don't forget to look forward and not backward.  Looking backward is looking at what a school gave you credit that you already earned.  Looking forward is looking at what it takes to complete your degree.  Starting with fewer credits does NOT mean that you end up worse off in all cases.

But honestly, COSC may be your best bet of the 3.  And, if not, you can do EC.  TESU would be the 3rd choice here, as they're going to be the most expensive of the 3 schools.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the reply. I did not apply with COSC but I will and when they have completed the academic evaluation I will post it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 118 45 minutes ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 616 1 hour ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 37 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 317 6 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 136 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,478 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,854 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 178 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 343 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 954 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM