Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should living in New Jersey affect my decision between COSC and TESU?
Hi,

So, sorry if I could figure this out but I'm brand new to this so it's a bit difficult to locate a couple of hypotheses. 

I'm interested in either COSC or TESU. My sister has a COSC degree for undergraduate, though degree by examination was unknown back then, she was a working professional with disparate credits, et cetera. So I'm interested in COSC, being legacy and all. Ha. But I know using an in-state college has certain advantages but I don't know which. I'm in New Jersey though not near Trenton. Would I save money on the capstone credit hours and graduation fees and such as a New Jersey resident? If so I feel like that makes my decision right away, but I don't exactly know how to research that question.
You might save. NJ residents pay $396 per credit and others pay $499 per credit. However, most of us have been paying $366 because of the Study.com affiliation. The discount for Study.com is expected to be lower starting July 1st. We aren't sure, but we are guessing it will be something like $449 per credit. However, what you will save is relatively little since grad fee will be the same. I wouldn't decide on price.

I think that TESU is the better choice but not because you are there. Because they are a "university" and not a "college" is one bigger reason. However, one of the best reasons to go for COSC is that communication with the school is generally great, and TESU's is confusing.

You have to run the numbers and see which one is cheaper for you. In-state tuition is $366 per credit vs $499 per credit. The residency waiver is $300 cheaper. The more courses you are taking, the more that in state tuition will make a difference. With the typical plan here that has a student doing only the capstone at TESU and paying the residency waiver, we're talking a savings of $700 for being in-state. With the current Study.com affiliate pricing, there's virtually no difference at all, but that will change at the end of June.

Unless you're in the nursing program, being resident in Trenton matters not at all.

The second consideration is that in NJ, employers will likely know who TESU is. Unfortunately, I can't say whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/Per-Credit.cfm
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/Fees.cfm
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-09-2018, 04:52 PM)SAmendola Wrote: Hi,

So, sorry if I could figure this out but I'm brand new to this so it's a bit difficult to locate a couple of hypotheses. 

I'm interested in either COSC or TESU. My sister has a COSC degree for undergraduate, though degree by examination was unknown back then, she was a working professional with disparate credits, et cetera. So I'm interested in COSC, being legacy and all. Ha. But I know using an in-state college has certain advantages but I don't know which. I'm in New Jersey though not near Trenton. Would I save money on the capstone credit hours and graduation fees and such as a New Jersey resident? If so I feel like that makes my decision right away, but I don't exactly know how to research that question.

Not sure for you, but the state of my grad school was a factor for me. If I lived in NJ and were choosing between the two, yes, I would choose TESU for that reason. I wasn't thinking about numbers, I was thinking about optics, but it's really a personal preference. As for numbers, that I can't say, but from a personal perspective, but it kinda takes away the obvious "distance learning" component.
You need to consider too what transfers in to each school, if you are transferring credits at all. If not, this is a non-issue because you can just design your plan around the school. But if you are transferring credits in and find out TESU will give you more credits than say COSC will, then it's obviously going to cost more to go to COSC, even with alternative credit sources because you'll need to take more of those.

COSC requires more UL courses so you need to map out where you can get those credits. Your major makes a huge difference - at either school.

Cost aside, personal factors for me would be that if it's in-state it might look better on a resume and if it's in-state I would have a better option of attending graduation. Those aren't deal breakers but my preference would always be to go in-state.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,980 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,661 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,107 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,645 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,734 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,346 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,594 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,325 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,377 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore