Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Software Development Degree?
Hi guys! Been a long time lurker, first time poster. I'm planning on acquiring a degree in Software Development at WGU, though I'm starting without any college credits or certifications. I'd like to garner as many credits as I can before enrolling, that way I can finish in one term. What is the best way to go about this? I have the transfer guidelines and more than likely will complete my Gen. Eds through Straighterline. Any help I can get would be awesome!
You won't be able to do a ton on SL, as they just don't offer some of the courses, even the GE's. The following GE's aren't available:
- Critical Thinking
- Technical Comm
- Ethics in Tech

You might want to give WGU Academy a try if you can do those in 1-2 months, to see what it's like, and to get some of those credits done beforehand. I don't think they let you do all of the GE's that way, but they do let you do the A+ Certification (and pay for it), which is one of the more expensive ones (because it's 2 exams). I'd also try to take the other IT courses WGU-A offers, even if you don't do the cert but do that within the degree if it's included.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • akr680
They provide certification exam voucher for only one certification and for only one attempt.Therefore we can't get much credits before enrolled.

Only for BS ITM, we can transfer 90+ credits.

That's why I choose to do TESU BS IT.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
------------------

I thought about doing that, too. Keep in mind you can only transfer in 75% of credits. They don't accept NCCRS. Definitely knock out non-technical courses before enrolling. I don't think anyone has that degree yet on this forum, so it will be interesting to follow your journey. Pick up some cheap ACE credits at Saylor if they'll transfer.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(06-24-2019, 10:20 PM)Makr680 Wrote: They provide certification exam voucher for only one certification and for only one attempt.Therefore we can't get much credits before enrolled.

Only for BS ITM, we can transfer 90+ credits.

That's why I choose to do TESU BS IT.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
So of the IT degrees, the only one related to IT that you can fully test out of is BS IT management? Which isn’t an IT degree(it’s business). I was kind of hoping to test out of most of the degree and become a developer. So basically what you guys are saying is, I’m going to have to complete most of this through WGU?

Are there other options, would an IT degree suffice?
I would think TESU bachelor's in computer science makes the most sense now.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • akr680
(06-25-2019, 07:58 AM)udi Wrote: I would think TESU bachelor's in computer science makes the most sense now.
Good point. TESU is north of $8000 now though, isn’t it? Idk maybe I’ll look into WGU’s IT degrees and pick up some programming knowledge on my own time
(06-25-2019, 07:58 AM)udi Wrote: I would think TESU bachelor's in computer science makes the most sense now.

why ? 

WGU also has a bachelors in computer science 

http://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/com...ience.html

its $3520 per 6 month term 

these are the straighterline courses that will transfer        
https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

you can also transfer clep and dsst
https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Admission/Transfer...ns/ta-p/28  

and although it doesn't say specifically which exams, you can figure it out 
computer science degree -- https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSCS.aspx 

software development degree -- https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSITSW.aspx 

you can talk to enrollment counselor for free and see how many you're allowed to transfer in
If you want that degree from WGU, you can get a lot of credits ahead of time - just not all through SL like you said you wanted to do. There are plenty of other ways to get credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
WGU is a better deal, the TESU degee is more expensive.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 573 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 258 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 593 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,679 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 564 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 279 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 838 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,224 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,807 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74