Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Advice, Please! US HIST I
Well, I need some last minute advice:

Tomorrow morning, I will be taking the U.S. History I CLEP. I've used a mix of IC, Wikipedia, Peterson's, and Barron's 101 study guide. After reviewing feedback from others that have taken this exam, and after taking the Peterson's practice tests, I have a question:

Are the actual exam questions as complicated as those in Peterson's, in your experience? I am a self-admitted history buff on the period of the American Revolution - the War Between the States, yet with some of these questions its like - "Where did that come from?" Sometimes, two answer choices could actually answer the same question.

I'm not worried about a pass on the exam, but my university requires a 64--that what I'm worried about. I've been only getting 50-55% on Peterson's.

Any imput is greatly appreciated!
Southron Boy

CLEP: English Comp w/ essay, English Comp w/o essay, American Gov't, U.S. History I, A & I Lit, Humanities, Intro Sociology, Intro to Psyc, Human Growth & Development, Intro to Ed Psyc, Prin of Management, Prin of Marketing, Business Law

DSST: Technical Writing
Southron Boy Wrote:Are the actual exam questions as complicated as those in Peterson's, in your experience? I am a self-admitted history buff on the period of the American Revolution - the War Between the States, yet with some of these questions its like - "Where did that come from?" Sometimes, two answer choices could actually answer the same question.

Hi Southron Boy,

It seems to me that EVERYONE who has ever taken a Peterson's practice exam for ANY of these exams feels that the Peterson's questions were much tougher than the real thing. Even though I have not personally taken US History I, I would have to believe that the same principle applies here to this exam.

It also seems to be the general consensus that IC is enough for this exam, so if you feel that you have learned the IC information well, along with your additional studying, then I would say you have nothing to worry about! So if I were you, I wouldn't panic about the Peterson's results....just my two cents' worth! :p

Good luck, and let us know how it goes, okay?

Take care,
JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
I second what that Kiwi person saidSmile When I was studying for my exams, I dreaded taking the Peterson's tests because they were sure to make me feel like a 5 year old at a master’s chess tournament. I recommend you still take them, but just keep them in the right perspective. I've always wondered if they've ever taken/seen the tests for which these are supposed to be preparing you for......

Good luck!! Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
I third the opinion that Petersons was harder for the U.S. History I exam; However, I was scoring somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 on the Petersons and only scored a 57. Best of luck to you! I hope you blow it away!

~Rich
Better be wise by the misfortunes of others than by your own.
~Aesop

Pursuing B.S. Nuclear Technologies, Excelsior College

Tests Remaining: 0 (0SH)

Tests Taken: 11 (36SH)

CLEP
U.S. Hist I(57), U.S. Hist II(58), Intro Soc(67), A&I Lit(78), American Gov.(61)
DSST
Intro to IS(73), MIS(65), Ethics In America(68), Intro World Rel.(71), General Anthropology(65), Astronomy(69)
Chopping Block
None and DONE!
I'll echo everybody else's opinion on this one. While I did not use Peterson's for the US History exams, I have used Peterson's for others. That being said, the Peterson's are definitely more difficult than the actual exam.
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
Thank y'all! I'll be leaving to take it at 8:00 this morning. Will report soon!
Southron Boy

CLEP: English Comp w/ essay, English Comp w/o essay, American Gov't, U.S. History I, A & I Lit, Humanities, Intro Sociology, Intro to Psyc, Human Growth & Development, Intro to Ed Psyc, Prin of Management, Prin of Marketing, Business Law

DSST: Technical Writing
Southron Boy Wrote:Thank y'all! I'll be leaving to take it at 8:00 this morning. Will report soon!

You're in my prayers on this one. Smile
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College

How did it go?:confused: :confused: :confused:
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Yeah......how'd it go? Can ya' tell we're a wee bit antsy?? That's what we do here...we stress.Big Grin
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College

Ditto everybody else's question ... How'd it go?

I signed up for the US History 1 exam this Friday afternoon. Right after I scheduled the test date 2 weeks ago, my computer got zapped by lightning. :eek: There went my IC study! (Except on rare occasions -like today- that I get off work early enough to go to the library. Very rural area, library closes at 4:30 pm.)

I've been reading through a Barron's College outline book of History 1, and will have some time at the library Friday morning to go over the IC flashcards a couple of times.

Am anxious to hear how the test was, in your opinion!

Becky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 683 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,651 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,241 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,059 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,034 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 719 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 981 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,796 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,222 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,284 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007