Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Real Answers Re: BSHS and FEMA Credits
OK can someone please tell me how many FEMA credits I can apply towards a BS.HS at TESC (specializing either in Disaster Management OR Homeland Security)?
I have read conflicting posts on this subject and would like to clear it up. I have 42 FEMA credits and would like to use as much of them as possible. I was considering a BA in Liberal Studies via TESC to try to get the easiest, fastest degree possible. But, after doing about 30 FEMA courses in one weekend, and reading some posts about how more than 27 FEMA credits can be used towards a BS.HS degree at TESC... I have decided to look into this degree option instead.

ANybody?
GringoInTijuana Wrote:OK can someone please tell me how many FEMA credits I can apply towards a BS.HS at TESC (specializing either in Disaster Management OR Homeland Security)?
I have read conflicting posts on this subject and would like to clear it up. I have 42 FEMA credits and would like to use as much of them as possible. I was considering a BA in Liberal Studies via TESC to try to get the easiest, fastest degree possible. But, after doing about 30 FEMA courses in one weekend, and reading some posts about how more than 27 FEMA credits can be used towards a BS.HS degree at TESC... I have decided to look into this degree option instead.

ANybody?

TESC did my eval and only gave me i think 27 fema's the rest were on my education and tests I had taken. Im having problems with the whole enrollment process but I did get the eval and thought I would let you know.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
gregjohnson Wrote:I asked the Admissions office about this subject for THESE TWO: Emergency Disaster Mgmt and the new Homeland Security degree that my wife is interested in. Here are the replies- **** I would say this still needs some clarification, ask your adviser*****

"Greg,
After checking with the assistant dean on this degree,there is NO limit on ACE or TESC evaluated FEMA courses in the BS.HSEP degree[/COLOR]; they can be used as free electives. I hope this information helps and please let me know if you need any additional assistance in moving forward with this degree. Thank you.
Best regards,Caroline"

"Greg,
... For the EMS area of study, she would need to apply and submit a completed Practicum Review form. Please visit https://ssl.tesc.edu/practicum.php to submit this form online. The Practicum Review form, official job description and current resume are required of students applying to Human Services degree programs. The practicum work experience must be approved for students to pursue a Human Services degree program...... (ASPSS) and the Bachelor of Science in Human Services (BSHS) degrees were designed for students who have at least one year of current work experience (paid or volunteer) in the selected area of study at the time they apply to the College. Appropriate work experiences are required in order to complete the practicum requirements and the degree.The College will accept up to 25 FEMA credits and up to 90 credits of CLEP, DANTES or other tests.

I hope this information helps and please do not hesitate to contact me regarding additional information or assistance. Thank you.
Best regards,Caroline"

This is the post that has me all worked up!
I have asked many different ways, but no exact #. My wife has been accepted at TESC, but not enrolled yet. I get the "feeling" that they may allow 15 more FEMA credits in your major for a total of 42 toward BSHLS degree- just make sure you take the right ones. I will post more when I see the credits on her academic evaluation.

I hope this helps. Greg

*****VERIFY WITH YOUR ADVISER*****

I think the post below spells out the real story on TESC FEMA credits- why TESC can't just say it is beyond my comprehension......

annegirl Wrote:TESC will take a maximum of 25 FEMA credits for a bachelor's degree. If your friend was interested in Emergency Management he could use 15 of those credits towards his major. I would not recommend going this route if your friend has no interest as it is a more focused area of study. You might look into the BS in Homeland Security. Others on this forum have indicated that TESC might take more FEMAs for that degree (I wouldn't believe it until I see it, but it has been said)

For most degrees TESC will accept the FEMA courses as free electives. They accept the credit "raw" meaning that you simply request a transcript from FEMA be sent to TESC. You don't have to credit bank or use another college in the process.

This would mean that you could use 15 FEMA credits for your major, which would eliminate 5 actual classes one would have usually have to take for BSHLS degree. You could use CLEP and DSST as usual for balance of free electives.

* at minimum, you can get up to 27 credits for FEMAs toward BSHLS degree:

III. Electives (select 15 credits from below or other courses in Homeland Security) 15

* Counter-terrorism
* Disaster & Fire Defense Planning
* Domestic Terrorism
* Electronic Intelligence Analysis
* Emergency Planning
* Intelligence and Homeland Security
* Interagency Communication
* Managerial Issues with Hazardous Materials
* Managing Homeland Security
* Natural Disaster Management
* Port Security
* Psychology of Disaster
* Psychology of Terrorism
* Security Planning and Assessment
* Social Impact of Disasters on the Community
* Stress Management Theory & Practice
* Strategic Planning and Risk Reduction
* Approved FEMA courses
* Constitutional Issues
* Leadership Communication
* Theories of Leadership

IV. Free Electives 27

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,114 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,285 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,697 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,850 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,610 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,377 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,802 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,429 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 10,729 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family
Wink 6 Credits to Go! Rqst Help (Tesu BSBA) FinishTHEM 3 1,525 05-11-2018, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Yenisei