Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE?
Do you guys happen to know if Excelsior accepts *any* ACE credits as upper-level?  I've searched high and low for information, and I've surmised that Excelsior is pretty stingy about awarding upper-level credits for ACE courses.  If you guys know of any good options, I'd sure appreciate the specific courses & providers.  

Thanks a ton for the help!
LOL, this question should be asked to Excelsior but don't expect an answer until you start with them and get an evaluation. For the most part, many of the ACE credits are recommendations for either LL or UL, it's up to the school themselves to decide to follow the recommendation for LL, UL or even grant credit.

Sadly, not many people have shared their "equivalencies" with other members of this board as most, if not all of them had to go through an evaluation and those courses were "case by case basis". They should also accept CBE's such as CSU Global CBE's and TECEPS. Excelsior has their own exams named "Uexcels", many are UL, check them out.

Start here: https://www.excelsior.edu/start-with-more-credit
Then this: https://www.excelsior.edu/transfer-more-credits
Uexcels list: https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/uexcel-home
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you! As always, you're a wealth of information. Smile And, you're right. Excelsior doesn't make it easy, do they? God bless TESU & their super helpful equivalency charts (and the folks on this board, of course)!
I think EC and COSC both accept ACE recommendations for UL. There is not a particular provider that has only UL exams or courses, so your best bet is to ask here about the particular courses/exams you are looking for, depending on your degree. A lot of us here know UL stuff, but to try to list it all would be too big of a job.

I can tell you that CLEP has no UL exams, and DSST has 7. SL doesn't have any either.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So, I looked through all the ACE-recommended courses offered by the usual suspects (Straighterline, Study.com, Shmoop), and there are only three courses that ACE recommends for general education upper-level credit:

Study.com -
History 306: The American Civil War Era
History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War
English 305: Advanced Techincal Writing

I just thought I'd share my "find" in case it helps anyone else. And, if you guys know of any other courses (general education) that ACE recommends for upper-level credit, please send them my way! Smile

(09-09-2017, 11:46 AM)dfrecore Wrote: There is not a particular provider that has only UL exams or courses, so your best bet is to ask here about the particular courses/exams you are looking for, depending on your degree.  A lot of us here know UL stuff, but to try to list it all would be too big of a job.

I'm just looking for general education stuff.  Excelsior wants 30 upper-level credits, so I'm on the hunt for as many cheap/easy ones that I can find.  Smile
Actually, Excelsior is easier when it comes to determining UL or LL. Most of the time (probably 99%), Excelsior follows ACE recommendations or the original school's evaluation if you are transferring from an accredited school. I haven't heard anyone confirm whether or not Excelsior will accept CSU Global CBEs. DSST should have several UL exams. Excelsior students usually fulfill their UL requirements with DSSTs, Uexcels, and TECEPs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Actually, Study.com has a lot of UL courses, if you count NCCRS (although I don't know what EC considers Gen Ed):

ACC 303: Cost Accounting (ACE & NCCRS)
BUS 209: Mentoring & Leadership Development in the Workplace (NCCRS)
BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior (ACE & NCCRS)
BUS 308: Globalization and International Management (ACE & NCCRS)
BUS 312: Advanced Operations Management (ACE & NCCRS)
BUS 314: Employment Law (NCCRS)
BUS 315: Logistics and Supply Chain Management (ACE)
HOSP 301: Hospitality Marketing (ACE)
ENGL 305: Advanced Technical Writing (ACE & NCCRS)
SCI 102: Principles of Physical Science (NCCRS)
EDU 103: Classroom Management (NCCRS)
EDU 104: Differentiated Instruction (NCCRS)
EDU 105: Special Education History & Law (NCCRS)
HIS 306: The American Civil War Era (ACE & NCCRS)
HIS 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War
NURS 301: Nursing Informatics (NCCRS)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • scout2family
ACE Guide: Emergency Management Academy (EMI)
NEMI-0190 E101 Foundations of Emergency Management (E-101)
Emergency Management or Public Administration
ACE - 6 Hours College Credit (Upper Division)

Excelsior Granted = Foundations of Emergency Management P 6 UL
TESU Granted = EMD-108 Principles of Emer Management CR 6 ACE

TESU downgraded a lot of my ACE credits. Excelsior did not.

All three of the Big 3 have different rules. I like them all. Just find the right fit for you.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • cookderosa
(09-09-2017, 10:16 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: ACE Guide: Emergency Management Academy (EMI)

TESU downgraded a lot of my ACE credits. Excelsior did not.

All three of the Big 3 have different rules. I like them all. Just find the right fit for you.

I doubt this person is in a position to take butt-in-seat FEMA courses, and most don't count as gen ed.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-09-2017, 10:35 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 10:16 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: ACE Guide: Emergency Management Academy (EMI)

TESU downgraded a lot of my ACE credits.  Excelsior did not.

All three of the Big 3 have different rules.  I like them all.  Just find the right fit for you.

I doubt this person is in a position to take butt-in-seat FEMA courses, and most don't count as gen ed.

Both good points.  These are ACE in a career field and not GEN ED.

Excelsior College counted these two DSST as UL in my last review (3/2017) as UL Gen Ed:

DSST Soviet Union (not sure this is still given as an exam)
DSST Civil War
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,106 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,265 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,088 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,837 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,821 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
  Need one more BALS Upper Level badooble 12 3,080 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Last Post: quigongene
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,158 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,908 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,602 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM