Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Calculus!
(07-14-2022, 02:55 PM)gams007 Wrote: WAW Super great news, I was preparing my self to take calculus from study.com I will take it from Sofia and I will take the 20 dollar off discount I will renew my subscription.
Big Grin  Smile

If you want to get a jump on studying:
https://app.sophia.org/subjects/calculus-1
(07-16-2022, 11:01 AM)DirectEpic Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 02:55 PM)gams007 Wrote: WAW Super great news, I was preparing my self to take calculus from study.com I will take it from Sofia and I will take the 20 dollar off discount I will renew my subscription.
Big Grin  Smile

If you want to get a jump on studying:
https://app.sophia.org/subjects/calculus-1

Going to be easy if everything is True/false. lol
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(07-14-2022, 03:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OMG, I am math phobic, I have a hard time with math or something! Calculus is one of my final courses I need to take for the TESU BA Computer Science!  I had a hard time with Statistics from ALEKS as it's Calculus based.  I took Intro to Stats at StraighterLine and also ran into trouble as that was Calculus based too!  Finally passed Stats with Business Statistics also at StraighterLine as it was Algebra based instead... If I don't get past this Sophia.org option, I'll go the Study.com route... Let's hope I pass on the first try! <crossing fingers>
I did everything but the final on study.com. I would recommend Straighterline , professor burger is much easier to understand. 
IMO You will  learn more with Straighterline than with study.com.
I wish I would’ve went with Straighterline to begin with and saved all the time I wasted with sdc , and asu.
It sounds like you have a good understanding of algebra, which is critical for calc, so you should be fine. Like the adage you take calculus to finally fail algebra.
(07-16-2022, 01:53 PM)Pats20 Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 03:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OMG, I am math phobic, I have a hard time with math or something! Calculus is one of my final courses I need to take for the TESU BA Computer Science!  I had a hard time with Statistics from ALEKS as it's Calculus based.  I took Intro to Stats at StraighterLine and also ran into trouble as that was Calculus based too!  Finally passed Stats with Business Statistics also at StraighterLine as it was Algebra based instead... If I don't get past this Sophia.org option, I'll go the Study.com route... Let's hope I pass on the first try! <crossing fingers>
I did everything but the final on study.com. I would recommend Straighterline , professor burger is much easier to understand. 
I wish I would’ve went with Straighterline to begin with and saved all the time I wasted with sdc , and asu.
It sounds like you have a good understanding of algebra, which is critical for calc, so you should be fine. Like the adage you take calculus to finally fail algebra.

You need to be a calculator ninja to get through Calculus. That's the key. lol 

Study.com doesn't let you use a calculator that can do advanced calculus stuff, so you end up getting stuck.

I used this online calculator for the Straightline no grade practice questions, which has almost all the same functions as the ti-nspire cx cas calculator
https://www.symbolab.com/solver/calculus-calculator

That calculator breaks down the steps for you so you can understand what is going on.

If you have a question asking if a problem is equal to another, then you need to punch in both problems separately and see if the answers match.

Some people want to learn calculus, and some people just want to get through it. I personally just wanted to get through it, so I would be the wrong person to ask for advice on how to learn calculus thoroughly.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu
(07-16-2022, 02:15 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Study.com doesn't let you use a calculator that can do advanced calculus stuff, so you end up getting stuck.

I used this online calculator for the Straightline no grade practice questions, which has almost all the same functions as the ti-nspire cx cas calculator

That calculator breaks down the steps for you so you can understand what is going on.

If you have a question asking if a problem is equal to another, then you need to punch in both problems separately and see if the answers match.

Some people want to learn calculus, and some people just want to get through it. I personally just wanted to get through it, so I would be the wrong person to ask for advice on how to learn calculus thoroughly.
Sure, but you still need to know some algebra.  I don’t think I could’ve passed without a fairly decent understanding of both algebra and calc. Even with a calculator.
(07-16-2022, 04:01 PM)Pats20 Wrote:
(07-16-2022, 02:15 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Sure, but you still need to know some algebra.  I don’t think I could’ve passed without a fairly decent understanding of both algebra and calc. Even with a calculator.

With Straighterline, you can get around 1/2 of the answers with a calculator using a plug and chug method.

The other 1/2 you had to learn was the hard part that takes people between 2 weeks to 2 months to get through.

Sophia looks like it would be similar based on the test questions, which I could solve in 5 seconds using a calculator.

I loved Discrete Math and Stats but didn't care much about Calculus.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu
It wasn’t a whiz for me by any means. It took me 3 1/2 months with a 10 day break in there (so basically 3 months ) @ approx 15 hrs per week To get thru it. I’d say 200+ hours.  But I’m sure I’m not the most efficient. I watched all the videos at least once, some more. I Read some of the transcripts and examples and also referred to other resources for some of it.
(07-16-2022, 05:00 PM)Pats20 Wrote: It wasn’t a whiz for me by any means. It took me 3 1/2 months with a 10 day break in there (so basically 3 months ) @ approx 15 hrs per week To get thru it. I’d say 200+ hours.  But I’m sure I’m not the most efficient. I watched all the videos at least once, some more. I Read some of the transcripts and examples and also referred to other resources for some of it.

It's a brutal course. It's like taking 3+ courses at once.

What helped me was taking detailed notes for every single rule and formula.

Every single practice problem I did, I kept track of and put detailed notes on why I got it wrong.

I don't know how to describe it, but it's like every single cell in your body has to be focused on passing this course. Nothing else matters.
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
This course is now active on Sophia!

21 Challenges and 6 Milestones
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • LevelUP, MNomadic, rachel83az
I did the 1st unit, and it was pretty straightforward.

After reviewing the pdf's and doing other practice problems, I would say this would be by far easier than even Straighterline.

I like that it breaks everything down into bite-size chunks, and when it asks you a question, the formula is right there for reference.

My Advice
1. Use the right calculator. Use the right calculator. Use the right calculator. 
2. Write down every formula. Write down every formula. Write down every formula. 
3. Do every problem. Do every problem. Do every problem.

Of course, do all the practice milestones before attempting the final milestone.

You need to get good at being a calculator ninja. Some of these problems are so simple you can almost do them by hand just as quickly as a calculator, but I would keep practicing on that.

You will learn that there is a long way to doing a problem and a short way to do it.
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 417 6 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 879 Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 61,971 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 111 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 499 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,430 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 738 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 993 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 256 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 988 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab