Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Classes - Light at the end of the tunnel
I can almost see the light set at the end of the tunnel. I started my Sophia journey 3 weeks ago. Goal is to finish 11 classes. I now have 3 left. College Algebra (which is killing me), Public Speaking and Project Management.

It was recommended that I don’t save my touchstone classes to the very end. That was very good advice because it does take some time before they get around to grading it. I was lucky that  Communication at Work only had one touchstone and that was the last item. I finished it then reached out to customer service. They enrolled me in another class so I could get started and wasn’t stuck waiting for the grade. They only did it because I was done with the class, just waiting on grading.  

I worked countless hours, staying up until midnight trying to crank out as much as I can. I focused on the classes I had prior knowledge in - basically using Sophia as my method of testing out. My head is going to explode with Algebra!!! It takes me soooo long to get the concepts straight. I have another week to go before I get charged for another month. I am trying to finish before the next billing.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has provided guidance, thus far.
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2023
University of Maine at Presque Isle  (UMPI)- BLS, Minor in Management  Summer 23
[-] The following 10 users Like HBCIRCA14's post:
  • carebear_007, cerich67, ctcarl, Dorothy44, Holmes, ISKBizz15, luyshuz, rachel83az, ss20ts, StoicJ
Congrats! 11 classes in a month is amazing! You can do it. Smile
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ctcarl, HBCIRCA14
(02-18-2021, 11:26 AM)HBCIRCA14 Wrote: I can almost see the light set at the end of the tunnel. I started my Sophia journey 3 weeks ago. Goal is to finish 11 classes. I now have 3 left. College Algebra (which is killing me), Public Speaking and Project Management.

Here's a tip for College Algebra: Mathway

Some folks use Mathway as a quick and simple way to verify that you're on the right track.  If you use the Sophia-provided formula and arrive at the same answer Mathway provides, chances are you've mastered that task and can move on.

But in my case, it was most helpful for the sort of things we're missing by taking an Algebra class online.  Sometimes I just need to see the formula written out in real time, but online I can't just raise my hand and ask.  With Mathway, I was able to learn the correct formatting for various equations by trial and error.  To me, it was like having unlimited access to an algebra tutor, who wouldn't just give me the answer, but would prompt me to select the correct function to arrive at that answer.  Give it a try.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ctcarl's post:
  • seven9781
Congrats!

By the way, it always fascinates me how people are different with regards to Math. I remember that I have finished College Algebra within two days or so! (and it could have been less than that, I work full time). At the same time, I'm still struggling with English Composition I, and after 44 days I still have two touchstones to finish!
HBCIRCA14 this is great!! I am thinking of signing up today!  I have a question will your transcripts say SOPIA.org or the Institute you took the classes with ?
(02-22-2021, 01:18 PM)Msteller89 Wrote: HBCIRCA14 this is great!! I am thinking of signing up today!  I have a question will your transcripts say SOPIA.org or the Institute you took the classes with ?

The transcripts say Sophia. That's where you're taking the classes from. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Msteller89
thank you for this, it totally answers a question I had.
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)
Ph.D in Criminal Justice (Intelligence) - UNG
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

(02-18-2021, 11:26 AM)HBCIRCA14 Wrote: I can almost see the light set at the end of the tunnel. I started my Sophia journey 3 weeks ago. Goal is to finish 11 classes. I now have 3 left. College Algebra (which is killing me), Public Speaking and Project Management.

It was recommended that I don’t save my touchstone classes to the very end. That was very good advice because it does take some time before they get around to grading it. I was lucky that  Communication at Work only had one touchstone and that was the last item. I finished it then reached out to customer service. They enrolled me in another class so I could get started and wasn’t stuck waiting for the grade. They only did it because I was done with the class, just waiting on grading.  

I worked countless hours, staying up until midnight trying to crank out as much as I can. I focused on the classes I had prior knowledge in - basically using Sophia as my method of testing out. My head is going to explode with Algebra!!! It takes me soooo long to get the concepts straight. I have another week to go before I get charged for another month. I am trying to finish before the next billing.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has provided guidance, thus far.

I TOTALLY feel you on this!
When Sophia had their courses for free. I think I found out 2 months or a little more before the end date and I was powering through. Sophia was seriously a god send for me! I did Ancient Greek Philosophers as my first class it took me less than 24 hours. It really was a good starting point for me and helped me power through, Sociology (3 days) Psychology (1 wk) Biology (3 days), Intro to Ethics (2 days) and Art history (1 wk). My English Comp I touchstones were all graded the same day (even on a Sunday once! or the next day. The multiple choice parts took a few days but I took the max time with extension bc I procrastinated a bit toward the last 2 touchstones. I told EVERYONE about Sophia and thought every single person was nuts for not jumping on the opportunity. I didn’t understand how people didn’t see what a great opportunity it was. I signed up before they started the 2 courses active at a time ao fortunately I still had almost every course in my progress and was able to work on any at any rate. When the free course promo ended they offered a yearly plan and I missed the deadline and was really bummed. I was very thankful to have another opportunity at purchasing the year plan recently since I was not able to buy it around the time they first offered it—right after the free courses ended July 31. I dropped college algebra so I feel you but I am going to have at it again this month. I actually never attempted a test. Just was powering through the units.. I highly recommend Pre-algebra demystified for the basics. It took me two weeks to go through many few years back and gave me such confidence in math to the point I really wanted to continue self studying up to calculus. After prealgebra demystified I got practical algebra: a self teaching guide. Check out Amazon reviews. I highly highly recommend this duo to take on math for those of us math illiterate). In your state if these seem take too long to go through now how about khan academy or ALEKS? There also is a college algebra demystified that I never got to but expected it to be as great as the Prealgebra book. Good luck on the rest of your Sophia courses!!!

I just restarted Eng comp II and have Public speaking as well. Also plan to do Found Stats, Stats & College Algebra again

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,241 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 375 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,790 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 300 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,864 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 603 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 562 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP