Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Classes and NYPD Academy Transcript
Hey all,
I am moving along with my degree at Empire State College.  I had a few questions.  

1. Does anyone happen to know what classes on Sophia fall under the Liberal Arts category and which would most likely fall into a gen ed category?

2. Do police science and or criminal justice classes fall under the liberal arts category?  or no?

3. Does Physical Education classes fall under liberal arts?

I am working on building my degree plan and trying to see what fits where.

Thanks all as always,
Mike
Hi Mike, I can help you with some of your questions.

Gen Eds are classes in areas such as English, Math, Natural Sciences, Humanities, and Social Science.  Sophia has quite a few, starting with the basics like English Comp and College Algebra, which are requirements for almost everyone.  Depending upon your degree requirements, you probably need other Gen Eds that you can pick up from Sophia.

"Liberal Arts" has more than one meaning in secondary education.  Liberal Arts courses generally include Science, Arts, and Humanities, and Sophia has a decent selection of them.  But there are also Liberal Arts colleges and Liberal Arts degree programs.

If you're looking for help with degree planning, you've come to the right place.  But it would be helpful if we knew more about what kind of degree program you're in now.  We may have some members here with experience at SUNY Empire who can help you out with course equivalencies.  If not, we can try to point you in the right direction once we have a better idea of your degree requirements.
How many credits have you already completed? ESC has transfer credit limits. What degree are you working on? Have you already applied to ESC?

https://www.esc.edu/admissions/transfer-students/

Physical education is not a liberal art.

https://www.esc.edu/suny-transfer-studen...ate-areas/
(09-19-2020, 08:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote: How many credits have you already completed? ESC has transfer credit limits. What degree are you working on? Have you already applied to ESC?

I already have 26 credits taken at Empire State College.  I have taken random classes as a non matriculated student.  I am currently going for a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies (Public Affairs - Criminal Justice). I have a mentor but will not be working with him until spring.  I need to manually put in my credits into my degree plan for now and they will be reviewed in Spring.  Just trying to get a rough estimate of where I stand.  I am registering for the fall term in October and was trying to see what I can take without overlapping and also trying to see what classes for Sophia I have taken already meet the Liberal Arts.  I have over 140 credits but many will be left over because they do not fit into my plan... I assume.  From what I can see, I already have met the GE requirements.  Just hoping most of my NYPD Police Academy Upper Level Credits meet the concentration requirements.

Thanks,
Mike
(09-19-2020, 11:34 PM)mdel210201 Wrote:
(09-19-2020, 08:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote: How many credits have you already completed? ESC has transfer credit limits. What degree are you working on? Have you already applied to ESC?

I already have 26 credits taken at Empire State College.  I have taken random classes as a non matriculated student.  I am currently going for a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies (Public Affairs - Criminal Justice). I have a mentor but will not be working with him until spring.  I need to manually put in my credits into my degree plan for now and they will be reviewed in Spring.  Just trying to get a rough estimate of where I stand.  I am registering for the fall term in October and was trying to see what I can take without overlapping and also trying to see what classes for Sophia I have taken already meet the Liberal Arts.  I have over 140 credits but many will be left over because they do not fit into my plan... I assume.  From what I can see, I already have met the GE requirements.  Just hoping most of my NYPD Police Academy Upper Level Credits meet the concentration requirements.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike, It would be helpful if you can list out the credits you have already taken through Empire, Sophia, etc that way we can help match them to equivalency requirements for your degree. Once we can assist with what fits where we can help match up what your next possible options could be. However there is no way for us to assist with what could be Sophia Liberal Arts equivalent without knowing what courses you have already completed.

(09-20-2020, 12:42 PM)BBryant165 Wrote:
(09-19-2020, 11:34 PM)mdel210201 Wrote:

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike, It would be helpful if you can list out the credits you have already taken through Empire, Sophia, etc that way we can help match them to equivalency requirements for your degree. Once we can assist with what fits where we can help match up what your next possible options could be. However there is no way for us to assist with what could be Sophia Liberal Arts equivalent without knowing what courses you have already completed.

I appreciate it.  I have attached my ESC transcript.  My mentor had already plugged in all my other credits but I manually added my ACE and Police transcripts.  You will notice + and * marks next to classes to signify if they are upper level and or liberal arts classes.  I added those marks to the transcripts I manually added so I am not sure if I added the + or * are added or not put in the right spots.  The upper levels I picked from NYPD, I know those are upper levels.  I just don't know what would be considered liberal arts.  I am hoping I am just short the one mandatory degree planning class and some upper level credits.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Attached Files
.pdf   ESC Degree Plan non official.pdf (Size: 163.09 KB / Downloads: 13)
Just a quick note: liberal arts generally is the same as general ed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-22-2020, 03:05 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just a quick note: liberal arts generally is the same as general ed.

This is a good mention, thanks. Yes Liberal Arts courses are generally held as the same as Gen Ed as opposed to those which may fall under applied professional. 

Quote:I appreciate it.  I have attached my ESC transcript.  My mentor had already plugged in all my other credits but I manually added my ACE and Police transcripts.  You will notice + and * marks next to classes to signify if they are upper level and or liberal arts classes.  I added those marks to the transcripts I manually added so I am not sure if I added the + or * are added or not put in the right spots.  The upper levels I picked from NYPD, I know those are upper levels.  I just don't know what would be considered liberal arts.  I am hoping I am just short the one mandatory degree planning class and some upper level credits.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Okay, so Mike, When I'm looking at your Sophia credits it appears that everything you marked for Liberal Arts is correct. Your BUS, ACCT, and PM courses are all generally applied professional credits. The only two I am unsure of (hopefully someone else can chime in) is your ethics course from The Institutes and the Stats course, some schools consider stats a math, some a business requirement. 

However, this is where I get a little more confused. Your ESC US History 1 and World of Art are what schools generally would consider Liberal Arts yet they are not marked as such. Secondly, Procedural Law / Substantive Law / Terrorism Response / Bioterrorism are not something that would generally be considered Liberal Arts (Art/Literature/Philosophy/Natural Sciences/Social Sciences/) etc but more along the lines of an applied professional requirement for a degree program. You said these were marked or added by yourself or is this an official evaluation you got from the ESC mentor? 

On a separate and unrelated note, are your Frederick Community College credits FEMA courses through independent study?

(09-22-2020, 03:54 PM)BBryant165 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 03:05 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just a quick note: liberal arts generally is the same as general ed.

This is a good mention, thanks. Yes Liberal Arts courses are generally held as the same as Gen Ed as opposed to those which may fall under applied professional. 

Quote:I appreciate it.  I have attached my ESC transcript.  My mentor had already plugged in all my other credits but I manually added my ACE and Police transcripts.  You will notice + and * marks next to classes to signify if they are upper level and or liberal arts classes.  I added those marks to the transcripts I manually added so I am not sure if I added the + or * are added or not put in the right spots.  The upper levels I picked from NYPD, I know those are upper levels.  I just don't know what would be considered liberal arts.  I am hoping I am just short the one mandatory degree planning class and some upper level credits.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Okay, so Mike, When I'm looking at your Sophia credits it appears that everything you marked for Liberal Arts is correct. Your BUS, ACCT, and PM courses are all generally applied professional credits. The only two I am unsure of (hopefully someone else can chime in) is your ethics course from The Institutes and the Stats course, some schools consider stats a math, some a business requirement. 

However, this is where I get a little more confused. Your ESC US History 1 and World of Art are what schools generally would consider Liberal Arts yet they are not marked as such. Secondly, Procedural Law / Substantive Law / Terrorism Response / Bioterrorism are not something that would generally be considered Liberal Arts (Art/Literature/Philosophy/Natural Sciences/Social Sciences/) etc but more along the lines of an applied professional requirement for a degree program. You said these were marked or added by yourself or is this an official evaluation you got from the ESC mentor? 

On a separate and unrelated note, are your Frederick Community College credits FEMA courses through independent study?

Just realized the attachment says non-official, my bad. Let me know your thoughts but the Sophia credits look spot on.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Just realized the attachment says non-official, my bad. Let me know your thoughts but the Sophia credits look spot on.

Thanks for the insight.  The FEMA classes were transferred into Frederick Community College a million years ago from FEMAs independent study section.  All the classes on my transcript besides the NYPD and ACE Evaluation were evaluated and placed on my transcript by my mentor at ESC.  The NYPD and ACE portion was placed on my transcript by me.  I am hoping all I need is Upper Level courses.  All my upper level classes via the police department are considered criminal justice classes.  I just do not know yet if any fall into the required classes I need to take in my concentration area.  So my company pays for 6 credits a term so I plan on just taking classes I think would fit until I find out from my mentor next term what falls where.

Thanks again,
Mike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 385 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Tired of being bad at math and looking to enroll in online math classes for credit xor 9 575 02-26-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BABA - M&L Remaining Classes jrock87 4 298 02-17-2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Remaining Classes Advice - UMPI BABA M&L diablo 2 357 01-26-2024, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Indieblue
  TESU BSBA Accounting - Need to plan remaining classes Dosada 6 597 11-14-2023, 02:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BACS or BSCIS transcript after graduation KMcLean 4 383 10-23-2023, 11:49 AM
  UMPI transcript evaluation advice dadof3 2 489 08-17-2023, 07:13 AM
  Trying to figure out what other classes I would need. sach2380 6 681 06-11-2023, 09:54 PM
Last Post: sach2380
  Need advice on remaining classes for BLS fromthedepths 9 824 03-03-2023, 08:20 PM
  my unofficial transcript - your profound wisdom Max007 75 8,801 03-03-2023, 05:21 AM