Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Info Tech vs CLEP Info Systems - same?
1. Sophia Intro to Information technology

2. CLEP Information Systems

Same thing?

And by the way, I've had a few of these questions lately. Is there somewhere that I can just look up this stuff? Or am I simply relying on the accrued experience of others before me?

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
Yes, there is somewhere you can look these things up. And yes, you're also going to have resort to others that may know more... it's hard to determine at times what courses will come in as what equivalent at the school. There are many course numbers and names, it's the course content that distinguishes them between each, and the schools may look at the equivalency differently.

Depending on the school you want to attend, you need to look at two places. The provider site usually would have an equivalency table, and the school will sometimes show an equivalency table as well for some course providers. I explained this very briefly in the Beginners guide sticky, but it's very hard to grasp these concepts of transfer especially when so many schools and providers exist. The best/only way, is to look at the school and their equivalency charts.

So, if you're going to TESU for example. These two courses do not duplicate.
TESU Sophia Link: https://tesu.sophia.org/#courses
TSEU CLEP link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SCYankee
(02-25-2020, 01:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, there is somewhere you can look these things up.  And yes, you're also going to have resort to others that may know more... it's hard to determine at times what courses will come in as what equivalent at the school.  There are many course numbers and names, it's the course content that distinguishes them between each, and the schools may look at the equivalency differently.

Depending on the school you want to attend, you need to look at two places.  The provider site usually would have an equivalency table, and the school will sometimes show an equivalency table as well for some course providers.  I explained this very briefly in the Beginners guide sticky, but it's very hard to grasp these concepts of transfer especially when so many schools and providers exist.  The best/only way, is to look at the school and their equivalency charts.

So, if you're going to TESU for example.  These two courses do not duplicate.

Thanks.

Okay so the CLEP is Intro to Computers and Sophia is Computer Science.

It is confusing, because on top of everything else, even though they transfer in as different courses, it's possible that either could fulfill the computer requirement. Even if that isn't possible in this case. And I'd prefer to take courses in my AOS (and area/s of interest, really) than a bunch of similar computer courses, or whatever other unnecessary subjects.

EDIT:

Additional question... How do I find what Sophia transfers in to other schools? They don't have a menu or anything. How did you find that TESU transfer page?
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
(02-25-2020, 01:58 PM)SCYankee Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 01:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, there is somewhere you can look these things up.  And yes, you're also going to have resort to others that may know more... it's hard to determine at times what courses will come in as what equivalent at the school.  There are many course numbers and names, it's the course content that distinguishes them between each, and the schools may look at the equivalency differently.

Depending on the school you want to attend, you need to look at two places.  The provider site usually would have an equivalency table, and the school will sometimes show an equivalency table as well for some course providers.  I explained this very briefly in the Beginners guide sticky, but it's very hard to grasp these concepts of transfer especially when so many schools and providers exist.  The best/only way, is to look at the school and their equivalency charts.

So, if you're going to TESU for example.  These two courses do not duplicate.

Thanks.

Okay so the CLEP is Intro to Computers and Sophia is Computer Science.

It is confusing, because on top of everything else, even though they transfer in as different courses, it's possible that either could fulfill the computer requirement. Even if that isn't possible in this case. And I'd prefer to take courses in my AOS (and area/s of interest, really) than a bunch of similar computer courses, or whatever other unnecessary subjects.

EDIT:

Additional question... How do I find what Sophia transfers in to other schools? They don't have a menu or anything. How did you find that TESU transfer page?

You can look up SOME of the info; but some you just have to ask here, and rely on our combined knowledge.

If you're getting a BSBA, then either of those courses would fulfill the Computer requirement, and then the other would go into GE Electives or Natural Sciences.

The nice thing about studying one course, and then being able to take multiple course/exams for credit is that you're killing 2 (or more) birds with 1 stone; you are getting extra credit for knowing something.  It's like if you know US history well, and take 6 course/exams - you study a little and get lots of usable credit.  It's not "unnecessary" at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To answer your additional question and also provide you some discount - If you're looking to get a discount on Sophia.org and they if don't have coupons/discount codes at the moment, what I've been telling people to do is the following: Logon to http://www.sophia.org and select U of Phoenix, to choose the school to view the list of transferable courses.

Select 1, 2, 3, or however many courses you need to take and apply the coupon code of PHOENIXHALF to get a 50% discount on the courses. Once done, send it to ACE and it'll go to whichever school you need it to at a later time. Another option is to wait for the HALFOFF coupon for "other" schools, but I would rather just get onto the "online chat" and switch to that instantly.

The only other discounts available randomly, is the $297/3 courses, that comes every now and then. The half off will be available for 1, 2, or more courses, so pick your poison and what your wallet can handle. (Sophia - if you're reading, send us more $297/3 coupons!)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks.

I hear what you're saying about gaining many credits through various similar exams. It can be a good strategy in certain cases. All of the ethics courses and exams (especially DSST) fit into that category. It's a lot of the same info; I guess it just varies in how, or in what situation, it's applied.

On the other hand, I'm pursuing this degree for personal fulfillment. The plan I've made and followed thus far includes a bunch of extra courses/exams that I don't need for the degree anyway. But I'll enjoy learning that material, and reviewing some of it in similar/advanced courses. So in my case it's unnecessary to take multiple basic computer courses for the extra credits.

That said, I still might take it anyway. Not sure why... Maybe I just like studying and passing exams for 3 credits in one shot. I'm not in a rush, and it feels good ; )

(02-25-2020, 02:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: To answer your additional question and also provide you some discount - If you're looking to get a discount on Sophia.org and they if don't have coupons/discount codes at the moment, what I've been telling people to do is the following:  Logon to http://www.sophia.org and select U of Phoenix, to choose the school to view the list of transferable courses.  

Select 1, 2, 3, or however many courses you need to take and apply the coupon code of PHOENIXHALF to get a 50% discount on the courses.  Once done, send it to ACE and it'll go to whichever school you need it to at a later time.  Another option is to wait for the HALFOFF coupon for "other" schools, but I would rather just get onto the "online chat" and switch to that instantly.

The only other discounts available randomly, is the $297/3 courses, that comes every now and then.  The half off will be available for 1, 2, or more courses, so pick your poison and what your wallet can handle.  (Sophia - if you're reading, send us more $297/3 coupons!)

We reposted at the same time, so I didn't see this. All of my Sophia courses have been purchased under the $297/3 discount. That's definitely the way to go. The last three courses that would interest me are: Macro, Micro, and College Comp II (because I took the old College Comp CLEP w/o essay). Except, Sophia College Comp II is not yet(?) accepted at TESU, and perhaps other places as well. 

Your "Plan B" to use the U of Phoenix code is a good one too.
Working towards:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SOPHIA----Opinions on courses??? midnite123 19 1,638 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,767 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  What's the fasted online college for someone who has 18 Sophia credits? StubbedMyToeWhileSleeping 6 853 08-20-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: allvia
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 474 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 998 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 740 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Applying for internships / jobs while doing Sophia courses Schlafen 2 818 03-31-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 13 2,360 03-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Ypsiterroir
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,025 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Sophia review Pre-WGU gams007 0 590 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gams007