Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Intro to IT vs. Microsoft courses
Two of my friends need to take a computer literacy course to complete their AAS at Pierpont. Nancy mentioned MS certs to them, but we are unclear as to which ones are acceptable and how to study for them. One of my friends is older and uses computers daily, but didn't grow up with them. How is the Sophia course? Which of these options would you recommend and what tips could you give us? Again, need as quick and easy to understand as possible.

Thanks for your help!
Julie S.
Sophia is my recommendation. It doesn't get super technical and is very achievable for people with little to no background. There are some MS certs that aren't too difficult, but without clarification on which ones count I can't recommend them.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Definitely Sophia. The MS certs might be good for later employment but they probably won't be as immediately attainable as Sophia's course is.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Thanks for your quick responses! Any tips from anyone who has taken the Sophia Intro to IT course?
If you know what a computer is, you're probably about halfway done with the course already.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • NC Coach
(05-05-2021, 12:14 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you know what a computer is, you're probably about halfway done with the course already.

Hahaha!
(05-05-2021, 12:08 PM)Julie S. Wrote: Thanks for your quick responses! Any tips from anyone who has taken the Sophia Intro to IT course?

My 17yo finished it in 1 day, and while he's a gamer, he's certainly not some sort of computer expert in any way shape or form.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you're going to purchase a membership from Sophia.org, you might as well do a few of their IT courses and not just this one course, ladder them up and try to finish a few during that month membership. If there are other courses that fancy your interests, take them as well, you're able to take up to two course a time. Invest in a second monitor for multi-tasking...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • JannikT
(05-05-2021, 12:17 PM)Julie S. Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 12:14 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you know what a computer is, you're probably about halfway done with the course already.

Hahaha!

This isn't a lie...I am a person who likes and appreciates techie stuff...but I have no formal tech training at all.   I finished the course very quickly and knew enough of the content that I didn't even read most of the class.   I just tested out to prove my knowledge of the subject matter.   

I have recommended the course to my wife, who is most-definitely not a tech-savvy person, and I would not do that if it was a difficult class.   Big Grin
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
Thanks for all your advice last month. One of my friends was so excited to finally get her AA degree and has now completed the two Sophia courses she needed for Pierpont! Intro to IT wasn't too difficult (she had her son as a resource!) and she felt she learned more info about the topic that will be of use in the future. She has applied for graduation and is waiting to hear from Nancy as to when that will be approved. Susan sends her thanks to all of you!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Julie S.'s post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 331 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 767 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,322 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,309 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 316 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 647 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 911 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 214 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 886 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM