Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia: challenge/tochstone/milestones/final milestones?
From what I have been reading here, Sophia courses with touchstones often take an extended time to grade.

I was trying to figure out which courses do and do not have touchstones, to try and avoid where possible. But on the syllabi for the half-dozen courses I checked each syllabi refers only to formative, summative, and in one case, a summative written case-study. 

Is
formative = challenge
summative =milestone
summative written = touchstone?

Or is it something else entirely?

Oherwise, how does one know?  (And for that matter, if they're using these non-standard terms, you'd think the least they can do is put them on the syllabi, no?
Check https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List to see which ones have Touchstones. Greek Philosophers is still recommended before Ethics, even though Greek Philosophers has a Touchstone, because Ethics is much easier after that course.

Business Law's single Touchstone is pretty quick and easy, so it's worth taking if you need the credit. Same with Communication at Work. I personally highly recommend that any Americans take "Taking Charge of Your Economic Future" as well. The Touchstones are budget spreadsheets that take about 30 minutes each to complete and get graded in just a couple of days.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • cwendy111
UPDATED:
Hi! I completed the following courses. None of the courses listed had written assignments (As of 9/9/21). 

Environmental Science

Human Biology

IT Career Exploration

Introduction to Ethics

Introduction to Sociology

Introduction to Web Development

U.S. History II

Visual Communications

I really enjoyed taking all of these classes! No complaints at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Completed: COSC - AA - General Studies 
Certs: Google IT Support Certification
In-progress/Upcoming:
South College - EDD - Higher Education
Southern Utah University - MM - Music Technology

Certs: ComptiaA+, SAS Data Scientist

Completed:
WGU - MS - Curriculum and Instruction, 2024
Thomas Edison State University - BA - Liberal Studies, 2023
Charter Oak State College - AA - General Studies, 2021

Certs: Google IT Support
(09-09-2021, 02:30 PM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote: Hi! I completed the following courses. None of the courses listed have written assignments. 

Ancient Greek Philosophers

Approaches to Studying Religions

Environmental Science

Human Biology

IT Career Exploration

Introduction to Ethics

Introduction to Sociology

Introduction to Web Development

U.S. History II

Visual Communications

I really enjoyed taking all of these classes! No complaints at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Completed: COSC - AA - General Studies 
Certs: Google IT Support Certification

Ancient Greek Philosophers now has a Touchstone. They've been updating older courses and adding them in.
Ancient Greek Philosophers now has a Touchstone. They've been updating older courses and adding them in.

-------------------------------------------------------
Oh wow! I didn't know that. I updated the list. I really enjoyed not having to do the written assignments Sad.
In-progress/Upcoming:
South College - EDD - Higher Education
Southern Utah University - MM - Music Technology

Certs: ComptiaA+, SAS Data Scientist

Completed:
WGU - MS - Curriculum and Instruction, 2024
Thomas Edison State University - BA - Liberal Studies, 2023
Charter Oak State College - AA - General Studies, 2021

Certs: Google IT Support
(09-09-2021, 03:01 PM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote: Ancient Greek Philosophers now has a Touchstone. They've been updating older courses and adding them in.

Oh wow! I didn't know that. I updated the list. I really enjoyed not having to do the written assignments Sad.

They've been making changes. I'm so glad I completed my Sophia classes when I did. No Touchstones for me either.
(09-09-2021, 07:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 03:01 PM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote: Ancient Greek Philosophers now has a Touchstone. They've been updating older courses and adding them in.

They've been making changes. I'm so glad I completed my Sophia classes when I did. No Touchstones for me either.

English 1 and 2 I do not see any milestone they removed from the course requirement, only essays you need to do.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(09-09-2021, 09:34 PM)gams007 Wrote: English 1 and 2 I do not see any milestone they removed from the course requirement, only essays you need to do.

I think English has only ever had challenges and touchstones, no milestones.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Touchstone or no touchstone, I would first knock out some easy courses to build momentum and get used to the Sophia learning platform.  Then do your English Comp, math.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, NC Coach
(09-10-2021, 02:40 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Touchstone or no touchstone, I would first knock out some easy courses to build momentum and get used to the Sophia learning platform.  Then do your English Comp, math.

I wouldn't take Eng Comp at Sophia. I started Eng Comp 2 and the grading is brutal. It doesn't agree with the instructions at all. It also takes forever to be graded - it took about 2 weeks per paper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 327 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 767 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,312 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,306 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 311 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 647 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 911 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 214 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 886 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 357 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle