Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org Civic Engagement category
Which courses on sophia would satisfy the civic engagement category?
I'd like to have suggestions other than American Government, thanks
(04-09-2020, 10:38 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Which courses on sophia would satisfy the civic engagement category?

Sorry Lacedonia, but Sophia does not have any courses that fulfill the TESU civic engagement category. This is one of the categories where you are going to have to take some form of a political sci class. I personally met the requirement by taking American Government through InstantCert Credit. It was very reasonably priced and TESU took it without issue since its ACE recommended. Another option would be through SDC, but dollar for dollar would be more expensive. I know you said you don' want to take an American Government course, but thats probably your best option here.
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
(04-09-2020, 10:38 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Which courses on sophia would satisfy the civic engagement category?
If you must have other than American Government, saylor.org has Introduction to Western Political Thought and Introduction to Comparative Politics that supposedly both work. 

https://www.saylor.org/credit/#expired The page link lists what's still available, and what's expired. 

I haven't taken any of the Saylor courses yet, I was angling to take courses needed for ordination studies and other certifications first. 

In terms of recommending InstantCert Credit American Government, I am finished everything but the final exam and going to take that soon.
TESU BA.LSSS 121/121, BA.PSYCH 121/121, BA in Liberal Studies-Social Sciences and Psychology: March 2021 Graduation

Since 12/5/19:
CLEP: Intro Sociology - 62, Diversity, DSST: 1/6/20 Ethics in America - 440, 1/8/20 Intro World Religions - 470
Sophia: Intro to Statistics - 95%, & many credits...
Study.com: Ethics Social Sciences 90, Into Crim Justice 91, Criminal Law 90, Forensic Science 88, Social Psychology 94
InstantCert Credit: American Government, 91 4/14/2020
Coopersmith: Drugs and Society, Jewish Rabbinic Counseling, Hist and Sys of Psych, Modern Jewish American History, Physio Psych, Sociology of Jewish Food, JST-225 Laws of Blessings 9/16/22, BIB-376 Trees and Plants of the Bible 12/21/22
UExcel Social Psych: A, 1/26/21
TESU: SOS-110-OL 3 cr. A-99, APS-100-OL 1 cr A-97, PSY-331-EP 3 cr 87, PSY322 Research Exp Psych - A 95 3 cr, SOC291 Criminology A98 3 cr, PSY-300EP Thanatology 3 cr 80, HIS210GS Am Civil Rights Movement History 3 cr A, LIB-495OL Hansen A 3cr
TECEPs: PSY-270 2/3/20,  SOC-210 2/10/20, PSY-350 2/17/20, ETH-210
(04-10-2020, 08:28 AM)Library2HospitalChaplain Wrote:
If you must have other than American Government, saylor.org has Introduction to Western Political Thought and Introduction to Comparative Politics that supposedly both work. 

https://www.saylor.org/credit/#expired The page link lists what's still available, and what's expired. 

I haven't taken any of the Saylor courses yet, I was angling to take courses needed for ordination studies and other certifications first. 

In terms of recommending InstantCert Credit American Government, I am finished everything but the final exam and going to take that soon.
Ok thanks, then I'll continue with American Gov on SL where I have already purchased the course. 

I was curious if there was any substitute on sophia as this month my SL membership was not active.
I'm not American and I quite liked the Straighterline Am.Gov. course. Before taking it I wondered how much exceptionalism I'd have rammed down my throat, but I didn't need a puke bucket it was (other than a couple small places) grounded in reality and very interesting.
(04-10-2020, 01:37 PM)ARhead Wrote: I'm not American and I quite liked the Straighterline Am.Gov. course. Before taking it I wondered how much exceptionalism I'd have rammed down my throat, but I didn't need a puke bucket it was (other than a couple small places) grounded in reality and very interesting.
I started it and I do like it, just that right now I am focusing on 3 courses on sophia, so my course on SL is on pause, but wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked any course fulfilling same category on sophia.org as that would have been spending zero rather that $99.
(04-10-2020, 11:07 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 01:37 PM)ARhead Wrote: I'm not American and I quite liked the Straighterline Am.Gov. course. Before taking it I wondered how much exceptionalism I'd have rammed down my throat, but I didn't need a puke bucket it was (other than a couple small places) grounded in reality and very interesting.
I started it and I do like it, just that right now I am focusing on 3 courses on sophia, so my course on SL is on pause, but wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked any course fulfilling same category on sophia.org as that would have been spending zero rather that $99.

I'm also gonna need to satisfy that at some point but I'm busy taking the free Sophia courses. Did you look into Study.com's American Gov?
(04-10-2020, 03:17 AM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote:

Sorry Lacedonia, but Sophia does not have any courses that fulfill the TESU civic engagement category. This is one of the categories where you are going to have to take some form of a political sci class. I personally met the requirement by taking American Government through InstantCert Credit. It was very reasonably priced and TESU took it without issue since its ACE recommended. Another option would be through SDC, but dollar for dollar would be more expensive. I know you said you don' want to take an American Government course, but thats probably your best option here.

Could you tell me how it was on ICC? I tried it on SL, but was quickly bored to death. Will I die another painful death on ICC? I already purchased the class, just haven't summoned up the courage to start it yet. Was looking for some feedback. I also purchased the Free Clep Prep mp3 package to start absorbing the information casually while driving to work so the info will start to sink it. How long did it take you?

(04-10-2020, 08:28 AM)Library2HospitalChaplain Wrote:

Please any feedback on ICC American Government is much appreciated!
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
Hello cwendy111,

in regards to American Government at ICC, please have a look at the following exchange of posts that I had with Not_a_robot_101 some time ago:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid300988
In progress:  TESU BACS [110/122]
  Completed: ASU Certificate in Applied Business Data Analytics
    Credits: ASU [72] | ALEKS [6] | CSMLearn [3] | InstantCert [3] | Sophia [57] | The Institutes [3] | SDC [30]
[-] The following 1 user Likes doom's post:
  • cwendy111
Thanks. Great content! No like button on mobile. I shut the Mac down for the night
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 862 5 hours ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 61,796 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 101 Yesterday, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 483 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,417 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 379 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 730 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 990 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 254 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 974 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab