Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org & Study.com Question
Hello Everyone. I have a question about using services like Sophia.org and Study.com. I was told that if I use this service for credits and apply them to WGU’s bachelor degree chances are that I will not be able to get into a masters program other than a few university’s. The reason being that most university’s don’t accept ACE credits. Is this true?
(10-27-2022, 07:57 PM)T.Easy Wrote: Hello Everyone. I have a question about using services like Sofia.com and Study.com. I was told that if I use this service for credits and apply them to WGU’s bachelor degree chances are that I will not be able to get into a masters program other than a few university’s. The reason being that most university’s don’t accept ACE credits. Is this true?

ACE credit used towards your bachelor's degree have nothing to do with a master's program - you already have the bachelor's at that point, and that's what the master's program will look at.

Now, the fact that you may not have enough graded credit for a particular program may be an issue.  But that's a separate one.

My advice is always "begin with the end in mind." Meaning, figure out what master's programs you're looking at want, and then make sure that you give them that.  If they want 60 graded credits (or 30 or 120), then that's what you need to get. If they want a bachelor's degree in something specific, get that.  If they want you to jump up and down 43 times while juggling 3 balls, do that.  Point is, you need to figure out what they're looking for, and then do your best to give them that.

You may instead opt for a school that doesn't require any of that, and will take a degree from anywhere - there are plenty of those schools around too.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The ACE credits don't matter, they only care if you went to a RA school.

You can get a degree from our recommended colleges, such as UMPI, PUG, SNHU, and TESU, and get into some of the top university graduate programs, such as Georgia Tech, UCLA, USC, UC San Diego, and the University of Washington.

The issue with WGU is that they don't issue grades, so some schools may not accept that. However, we had people get into Georgia Tech with a WGU degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
@T. Easy, where did you get that rumor? So, you're the one starting that rumor, eh?!  Anyways, it's not true.  Many schools accept foreign credits, internal challenge exams, PLA, and alternative ACE/NCCRS for undergrad.  When going to a grad program, the main thing you need to make sure of is to hit most if not all the requirements, such as prerequisite courses.  For the "more competitive" institutions, they may require a GPA and will look at the last 30 to 60, so many students starting off now dual enroll for graded credits, along with ACE/CLEP/AP/IB, and volunteer, the whole nine yards...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-28-2022, 01:44 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @T. Easy, where did you get that rumor? So, you're the one starting that rumor, eh?!  Anyways, it's not true.  Many schools accept foreign credits, internal challenge exams, PLA, and alternative ACE/NCCRS for undergrad.  When going to a grad program, the main thing you need to make sure of is to hit most if not all the requirements, such as prerequisite courses.  For the "more competitive" institutions, they may require a GPA and will look at the last 30 to 60, so many students starting off now dual enroll for graded credits, along with ACE/CLEP/AP/IB, and volunteer, the whole nine yards...

I purchase a program from this guy that said his program would help me graduate college within a year and he mentioned this to me. Maybe heard incorrectly but I’m pretty sure this is what was said because I was a bit disappointed I couldn’t use Sophia.com. This is why I asked this question so someone could confirm whether or not this was accurate. I would have hated that I took ACE courses and couldn’t get into a grad school I wanted. Just wanted advice from people who have experience with ACE credits.

(10-27-2022, 09:01 PM)LevelUP Wrote: The ACE credits don't matter, they only care if you went to a RA school.

You can get a degree from our recommended colleges, such as UMPI, PUG, SNHU, and TESU, and get into some of the top university graduate programs, such as Georgia Tech, UCLA, USC, UC San Diego, and the University of Washington.

The issue with WGU is that they don't issue grades, so some schools may not accept that. However, we had people get into Georgia Tech with a WGU degree.
Thanks for clearing this up for me! Just wanted to make sure it was okay to use Sophia.org
(10-30-2022, 07:12 PM)T.Easy Wrote:
(10-28-2022, 01:44 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @T. Easy, where did you get that rumor? So, you're the one starting that rumor, eh?!  Anyways, it's not true.  Many schools accept foreign credits, internal challenge exams, PLA, and alternative ACE/NCCRS for undergrad.  When going to a grad program, the main thing you need to make sure of is to hit most if not all the requirements, such as prerequisite courses.  For the "more competitive" institutions, they may require a GPA and will look at the last 30 to 60, so many students starting off now dual enroll for graded credits, along with ACE/CLEP/AP/IB, and volunteer, the whole nine yards...

I purchase a program from this guy that said his program would help me graduate college within a year and he mentioned this to me. Maybe heard incorrectly but I’m pretty sure this is what was said because I was a bit disappointed I couldn’t use Sophia.com. This is why I asked this question so someone could confirm whether or not this was accurate. I would have hated that I took ACE courses and couldn’t get into a grad school I wanted. Just wanted advice from people who have experience with ACE credits.

Sophia credits are accepted by many schools. No need to purchase any programs. Folks on here can help with degree plans for free. I have seen a few social media influencers selling tips on how to get through college quickly and all of the one's I've seen have a great deal of incorrect information. Some info is outdated. Some of it was never true. Seems like they don't do a great deal of real research and just want to make a few bucks.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question on Ohio University accepting Sophia credits EducationSeeker 5 236 04-25-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 491 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 418 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,441 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  European seeking advice for a tech degree to study a master's in Europe unfinesredondo 5 732 01-04-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  TESU Computer science question emmaya 3 506 11-10-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: emmaya
  International student, complex study history, looking at TESU BA Psych vaticidalprophet 7 784 06-11-2023, 12:18 PM
  Meeting Pierpont requirements with Sophia? Insert Name 2 673 02-18-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Question about continuing education after graduating. Mccderm 5 448 01-20-2023, 09:45 AM
  Transferring credits to study an MBA in the US IA_288 17 1,760 08-01-2022, 12:29 PM