Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Individualized Studies
I know I remember seeing Individualized Studies with COSC in someone's siggy, but I can't remember who!?

Ut-oh, I might be mixing up Mudball's son's TESU degree.... ok, still hopeful. Wink I'd love to ask someone some questions.
I am in the middle of getting an Individualized Studies degree from COSC. I might be able to answer some question.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ztkerls's post:
  • cookderosa
(01-17-2019, 01:32 PM)ztkerls Wrote: I am in the middle of getting an Individualized Studies degree from COSC. I might be able to answer some question.

Oooo! Awesome! So, my son is working the business degree. He's starting his Cornerstone in a few days and has all but 8 classes finished (capstone and business).

He originally applied and started in hospitality, but because it was going to be too expensive, we switched to COSC general business BUT I've found (I think) enough credits to do an Individualized Studies option in hospitality at COSC - that would be perfect.

If COSC follows ACE / NCCRS, I have 18 lower level hospitality courses and 15 upper level hospitality courses + the capstone for the 18 upper level requirement.

His advisor won't answer any questions right now- she told me (him) she's too busy with registration and to forward my (his) questions to the registrar. If they confirm levels, she'll do an eval (how nice of her) but I'm trying and trying to get this pulled together with as little help from her as possible- but there isn't much on their website.

How did you go about getting approval? Did you pick your 2 areas or did they suggest them based on your courses? Do you know of any reason they wouldn't allow me (him) to build a concentration this way or does it HAVE to be split between certain things- like the Capstone can be either business or management (I'm thinking management) but I guess I'm just trying to get a grip on how the process works and what kind of objections to expect so I can be ready.
(01-17-2019, 05:14 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 01:32 PM)ztkerls Wrote: I am in the middle of getting an Individualized Studies degree from COSC. I might be able to answer some question.

Oooo!  Awesome!  So, my son is working the business degree.  He's starting his Cornerstone in a few days and has all but 8 classes finished (capstone and business).

He originally applied and started in hospitality, but because it was going to be too expensive, we switched to COSC general business BUT I've found (I think) enough credits to do an Individualized Studies option in hospitality at COSC - that would be perfect.  

If COSC follows ACE / NCCRS, I have 18 lower level hospitality courses and 15 upper level hospitality courses + the capstone for the 18 upper level requirement.  

His advisor won't answer any questions right now- she told me (him) she's too busy with registration and to forward my (his) questions to the registrar.  If they confirm levels, she'll do an eval (how nice of her) but I'm trying and trying to get this pulled together with as little help from her as possible- but there isn't much on their website.

How did you go about getting approval?  Did you pick your 2 areas or did they suggest them based on your courses?  Do you know of any reason they wouldn't allow me (him) to build a concentration this way or does it HAVE to be split between certain things- like the Capstone can be either business or management (I'm thinking management) but I guess I'm just trying to get a grip on how the process works and what kind of objections to expect so I can be ready.

Based on my experience you are understanding everything correctly. The advisors have been so helpful to me, I am surprised that they said that to you, but I can answer some of the questions. 

First, from what I have seen, COSC at a minimum follows the ACE/NCCRS level recommendations. They will grant a course that has a lower level recommendation as upper-level credit if they offer the course as an upper-level course at COSC (That is why SL Business Ethics comes into COSC as UL). I have never seen them downgrade an upper-level class to a lower level so I think you are good there. 

As for getting the approval. It is not a situation where you or COSC picks the areas, you will do it together. The advisor will look at the credits that have been evaluated and give recommendations based on what they think the faculty would accept. At that point, you are free to discuss with the advisor on your ideas and together you all will come up with a plan. The advisor will write up the plan and you will have to fill out 3 questions justifying how the focus areas work together. You will also attach a professional resume. Once you finished the form you send it to your advisor and they send it to the faculty for approval. Results take about 2 weeks. 

The capstone is built completely around the concentration. My advisor and I agreed on two combinations, Business & Psychology or Psychology & Literature. If I did the Business & Psychology route, then my capstone would revolve around how psychology effects business. If I did the Psychology & Literature, then my capstone would revolve around psychology in literature. So basically, the capstone will be built around the mix you decide. 

What focus areas are you considering for your son? You will need at least 9 hours for each area. From the sounds of it, it seems like you only really need hospitality.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ztkerls's post:
  • cookderosa
(01-17-2019, 06:25 PM)ztkerls Wrote:

Oooo!  Awesome!  So, my son is working the business degree.  He's starting his Cornerstone in a few days and has all but 8 classes finished (capstone and business).

His advisor won't answer any questions right now- she told me (him) she's too busy with registration and to forward my (his) questions to the registrar.  If they confirm levels, she'll do an eval (how nice of her) but I'm trying and trying to get this pulled together with as little help from her as possible- but there isn't much on their website.

How did you go about getting approval?  Did you pick your 2 areas or did they suggest them based on your courses?  Do you know of any reason they wouldn't allow me (him) to build a concentration this way or does it HAVE to be split between certain things- like the Capstone can be either business or management (I'm thinking management) but I guess I'm just trying to get a grip on how the process works and what kind of objections to expect so I can be ready.

Based on my experience you are understanding everything correctly. The advisors have been so helpful to me, I am surprised that they said that to you, but I can answer some of the questions. 

First, from what I have seen, COSC at a minimum follows the ACE/NCCRS level recommendations. They will grant a course that has a lower level recommendation as upper-level credit if they offer the course as an upper-level course at COSC (That is why SL Business Ethics comes into COSC as UL). I have never seen them downgrade an upper-level class to a lower level so I think you are good there. 

As for getting the approval. It is not a situation where you or COSC picks the areas, you will do it together. The advisor will look at the credits that have been evaluated and give recommendations based on what they think the faculty would accept. At that point, you are free to discuss with the advisor on your ideas and together you all will come up with a plan. The advisor will write up the plan and you will have to fill out 3 questions justifying how the focus areas work together. You will also attach a professional resume. Once you finished the form you send it to your advisor and they send it to the faculty for approval. Results take about 2 weeks. 

The capstone is built completely around the concentration. My advisor and I agreed on two combinations, Business & Psychology or Psychology & Literature. If I did the Business & Psychology route, then my capstone would revolve around how psychology effects business. If I did the Psychology & Literature, then my capstone would revolve around psychology in literature. So basically, the capstone will be built around the mix you decide. 

What focus areas are you considering for your son? You will need at least 9 hours for each area. From the sounds of it, it seems like you only really need hospitality.

That helps SO MUCH thank you!!

I've found enough hospitality courses to fill 18 lower level and 18 upper level (Studycom - ACE, Coopersmith- NCCRS, capstone) and checked how they were evaluated, so assuming consistency, there are enough on his end to fill ALL the requirements. She suggested management in her first email, which would be fine - hospitality / hotel / restaurant management is a common bundle. It's really 6 of 1 or half dozen of the other what it's "called" but I think hospitality is the easier option since the prefixes and evaluations all share the word "hospitality" so it's not a hard case to make. Might take more arguing to demonstrate that hospitality is the same thing as hotel/restaurant - but anyone with either can do either.

So, I guess I'm only wondering then if the logistics are this: fill the gen eds (60) fill the indy study concentration (36) and fill every other slot with electives/overflow (24) does that sound right?

I think in my brain I connected the business degree requirements into this plan when I might not have had to - meaning he still hasn't finished the business requirements (accounting, etc.) so I wanted to make sure that wouldn't be part of it - but now I understand it wouldn't be. Do you mind confirming if your degree broke down that way too? (gen ed, concentration, electives) Honestly, if that's allowed, he'll be able to finish on time this year. I was SOOOOOOOO stressed because he's having trouble with some of the business classes, so we are going slowly - but if he can switch to just needing hospitality, I think we'll be back to making great time.

EDIT to add- I realize that he also needs his liberal studies and upper level institutional requirements met, I'm just asking about the concentration part. Thanks, I just wanted to add that in.
(01-18-2019, 09:36 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 06:25 PM)ztkerls Wrote:

That helps SO MUCH thank you!!

I've found enough hospitality courses to fill 18 lower level and 18 upper level (Studycom - ACE, Coopersmith- NCCRS, capstone) and checked how they were evaluated, so assuming consistency, there are enough on his end to fill ALL the requirements.  She suggested management in her first email, which would be fine - hospitality / hotel / restaurant management is a common bundle.  It's really 6 of 1 or half dozen of the other what it's "called" but I think hospitality is the easier option since the prefixes and evaluations all share the word "hospitality" so it's not a hard case to make.  Might take more arguing to demonstrate that hospitality is the same thing as hotel/restaurant - but anyone with either can do either.

So, I guess I'm only wondering then if the logistics are this:  fill the gen eds (60) fill the indy study concentration (36) and fill every other slot with electives/overflow (24) does that sound right?  

I think in my brain I connected the business degree requirements into this plan when I might not have had to - meaning he still hasn't finished the business requirements (accounting, etc.) so I wanted to make sure that wouldn't be part of it - but now I understand it wouldn't be.  Do you mind confirming if your degree broke down that way too?  (gen ed, concentration, electives) Honestly, if that's allowed, he'll be able to finish on time this year. I was SOOOOOOOO stressed because he's having trouble with some of the business classes, so we are going slowly - but if he can switch to just needing hospitality, I think we'll be back to making great time.

EDIT to add- I realize that he also needs his liberal studies and upper level institutional requirements met, I'm just asking about the concentration part. Thanks, I just wanted to add that in.

If I am understanding this correct, I don't see why he would need to struggle through the business courses if he isn't going to have a business concentration. Particularly since Business classes won't help cover the Liberal Arts requirements.

You are generally seeing it correctly but your gen ed numbers are a bit off. I will break down with how they show it once you are registered since I think that will make it more clear. I know you understand most of what I am going to write, but I want to be thorough for others who see this while considering COSC. Here are the requirements:
  • Cornerstone Seminar - From what you have mentioned, your son is registered for this class to start this semester.  

• General Education Req - There is actually a max of 37 credit hours required for General Education. And that is only the case if you take a separate class for each of the requirements. For example, my comparative government class filled the spot for both Social/Bahvorial Science and Global understanding, so I actually only had 34 credits in General Education. If you are still working on these I do recommend Straighterline Business ethics as it fulfills the ethics requirement and comes in as upper level.

• Indiv/Liberal Studi CPS39 - This is the 36 credit hours that have to be in the field of the concentration. 18 hours have to be at least upper level. From our discussion, it sounds like you have these classes picked out and covered.

• Electives - 120 minus the sum of the above three requirements is the amount you need here. For example, I have 3 cornerstone credits, 34 gen ed credits, and 36 Concentration credits. 3+34+36=73. 120-73= 47. So I need 47 elective credits. Others results may vary depending on how many gen ed credits they have.

• Liberal Arts Req - If you are going for a BA, you will need to make sure that 90 of your son's credits are considered Liberal Arts classes. If you are going for a BS, you will only need 60 credits. I am not sure, but I don't think hospitality would be considered as a Liberal Art so you will probably need some in your electives. Gen eds count toward this.  

• Upper Div Req Bachelor - 30 credits need to be upper level. 18 of the 30 comes from your concentration. So just 12 more. You know better than most where to find these classes, but if you decide to Straighterline Business Ethics for the Gen Ed ethics requirement, throw in Organizational Behavior since it comes into COSC as upper level as well. 
  • 120 Minimum Credits Req - You need at least 120 credits to graduate. If everything above is covered, then this one should be covered as well. 
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!
[-] The following 3 users Like ztkerls's post:
  • cookderosa, Murdockb, rvm
(01-18-2019, 12:31 PM)ztkerls Wrote: You are generally seeing it correctly but your gen ed numbers are a bit off. I will break down with how they show it once you are registered since I think that will make it more clear. I know you understand most of what I am going to write, but I want to be thorough for others who see this while considering COSC. Here are the requirements:
  • Cornerstone Seminar - From what you have mentioned, your son is registered for this class to start this semester.  

• General Education Req - There is actually a max of 37 credit hours required for General Education. And that is only the case if you take a separate class for each of the requirements. For example, my comparative government class filled the spot for both Social/Bahvorial Science and Global understanding, so I actually only had 34 credits in General Education. If you are still working on these I do recommend Straighterline Business ethics as it fulfills the ethics requirement and comes in as upper level.

• Indiv/Liberal Studi CPS39 - This is the 36 credit hours that have to be in the field of the concentration. 18 hours have to be at least upper level. From our discussion, it sounds like you have these classes picked out and covered.

• Electives - 120 minus the sum of the above three requirements is the amount you need here. For example, I have 3 cornerstone credits, 34 gen ed credits, and 36 Concentration credits. 3+34+36=73. 120-73= 47. So I need 47 elective credits. Others results may vary depending on how many gen ed credits they have.

• Liberal Arts Req - If you are going for a BA, you will need to make sure that 90 of your son's credits are considered Liberal Arts classes. If you are going for a BS, you will only need 60 credits. I am not sure, but I don't think hospitality would be considered as a Liberal Art so you will probably need some in your electives. Gen eds count toward this.  

• Upper Div Req Bachelor - 30 credits need to be upper level. 18 of the 30 comes from your concentration. So just 12 more. You know better than most where to find these classes, but if you decide to Straighterline Business Ethics for the Gen Ed ethics requirement, throw in Organizational Behavior since it comes into COSC as upper level as well. 
  • 120 Minimum Credits Req - You need at least 120 credits to graduate. If everything above is covered, then this one should be covered as well. 
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

This is a GREAT breakdown of how COSC works, thank you for spelling that out!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Z - excellent! Thank you for spelling that out. For some reason, COSC's allowance of meeting multiple requirements with 1 class throws in a variable that makes me crazy. Not sure why, I don't remember being this confused working my plan for TESU Wink For some reason, I'm having a hard time degree planning for him- I haven't had this issue with my other sons.

Also, totally escaped me that BA/BS had different liberal arts requirements. I knew that for the associate's - missed it for the bachelors.

I'm going to go ahead and request a new evaluation. I may just omit the "wait for registrar" part and have her plug it in.

Thanks a million!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,681 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,165 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,620 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso