Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Stick with current college or go TESC?
Greetings. I am in more or less of a dilemma. I am currently enrolled in Campbell University going for my Bachelor's of Social Science History Concentration. I joined IC because I need to knock out a couple basic courses so that I don't have to take them online. The problem with Campbell University is that certain courses required for my degree are only offered once every other 8 weeks if not once every YEAR. I've looked at TESC mainly because of the awesome opportunities to take all classes pertaining to a degree online whenever you feel you are ready. I want to stay with Campbell Univ for the simple fact that I am afraid TESC won't take over the credits I already do have. What input can I get from you guys? I just don't want to come to a standstill so close to my Bachelor's.
-------------------------------------

Going for:
Bachelor of Arts Liberal Studies (TESC), 3/8/09
???/120 complete

Next:
CLEP - American Gov't TBD
FEMA - max

Taken:
CLEP - US Hist I 54

Previous Credits: Cool
Associates of Arts - NMSU-A 2002
Some credits - Campbell Univ 2008
Military Experience

My website Work in progress
TESC took every one of my credits from my RA schools. Not even one of them was denied. If your school is RA I really do not see any problem with them transferring. I made the choice of TESC because it just cut my time down by about 3/4 and it was very ultra convenient. It all depends what your needs are and how much time you want to spend getting your degree done. I need to wrap mine up pretty quick so thats why I made this choice.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Thanks for the info. Campbell Univ is RA. If I contact a TESC Advisor, will they be able to tell me what will and will not transfer? Or do I have to sign up with them first?

Going for:
???/120 complete

Next:
FEMA - max

Taken:
CLEP - US Hist I 54

Military Experience

You need to have a transcript eval done by just sending your reg form in, all your sealed transcripts and 75.00. It takes approx 6 weeks or so to have it done. Some people say it only took 4 weeks while others say closer to 8 weeks before they receive their results. Its really worth the 75.00 to see were your credits fit especially if you considering a move to that school.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
morfritz Wrote:Thanks for the info. Campbell Univ is RA. If I contact a TESC Advisor, will they be able to tell me what will and will not transfer? Or do I have to sign up with them first?
>>

Advisors won't be "that" helpful on the phone, however, if you apply ($75) and send your transcripts- then you will get a full evaluation of all credits. At that point you have 6 months to enroll. (you can always enroll, but it would be a new evaluation and another $75)

The only reasons credit would be denied, is if it didn't fit into the degree plan or was not ACE evaluated/regionally accredited. That doesnt seem to be the case here with your credit. Are you going for social science? If so, I'd be happy to do an unofficial evaluation for you, that was my concentration. BA Social Science allows 27 free electives and 18 Gen ed electives- there is a HIGH possibility that you would have 100% transfer.
List your existing classes (ENG101, English Comp 1, 3 cr...), include the classes you are in now and any other CLEP/credits not on your transcript.
Awesome, thanks for the help. Here we go:

Here are courses I took "recently" plus my military experience as it appears on my Campbell Univ Transcript. I am a Mental Health Tech in the Army.

ENGL-203 N1B AMERICAN LITERATURE I 3cr
ENGL-204 N1B AMERICAN LITERATURE II 3cr
RELG-224 AB1 CHRISTIAN ETHICS 3cr
RELG-125 AB1 INTRO TO CHRISTIANITY 3cr
MSCI-1ELE MILITARY SCIENCE ELECTIVE 9cr
PE-185 LIFETIME WELLNESS 2cr
PE-111 ELECTIVE ACTIVITY COURSES 2cr
PSYC-1ELE PSYCHOLOGY ELECTIVE 16cr
MSCI-1ELE MILITARY SCIENCE ELECTIVE 5cr

Here is what my transcript from New Mexico State looks like, I graduated with an AA in 2002.

ENG111G RHETORIC/COMPOSITION 4CR
ENGL211G WRITING HMNTS/SOC SCIENCE 3CR
ENGL218G TCHNCL & SCTFC CMNCTN 3CR

HIST101G ROOTS-MODERN EUROPE 3CR
HIST102G MODERN EUROPE 3CR

PSY201G INTRDN-PSYCHOLOGY 3CR
SOC101G INTRDY SOCIOLOGY 3CR
ECON251G PRNCPLS OF MACROECONS 3CR
MUS101G AN INTRDN TO MUSIC 3CR
PHIL101G THE ART OF WONDERING 3CR

MATH180 TRIGONOMETRY 3CR
MATH185 COLLEGE ALGEBRA 3CR
MATH191 CALCLS/ANLYTC GEOM I 3CR
MATH192 CALCLS/ALLYTC GEOM II 3CR

CS110G COMPUTER LITERACY 3CR

SPAN111 ELEMENTARY SPAN I 4CR
SPAN112 ELEMENTARY SPAN II 4CR
SPAN211 INTRMED SPANISH I 3CR
SPAN212 INTRMED SPANISH II 3CR

PHYS110G GREAT IDEAS PHYSICS 4CR
PHYS211 GENERAL PHYSICS I 3CR
PHYS212 GENERAL PHYSICS II 3CR
PHYS212L GENERAL PHYS II LAB 1 CR

PE102 BEG WGHT TRAINING 1CR

ACCT251 MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING 3CR
ACCT252 FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING 3CR

I also CLEP'd GERMAN 6CR (80) in Oct-01.

...and that's it. I tried to sort these as best I could.

I plan on CLEPing MicroEcon, US Hist I/II, and American Govt for sure, just so I have those Gen Ed off my back.

Thanks again for you looking at this.
-Paul

Going for:
???/120 complete

Next:
FEMA - max

Taken:
CLEP - US Hist I 54

Military Experience

Ok, so let me see if I can do this myself. I had to WIKI Humanities and Social Science. ;-)

I copied the Degree Reqs directly from TESC so I apologize for the formatting difficulties.

Will this work:

Required courses Credits
I. General Education Requirements 60
A. English Composition

(7 credits) 6
B. Humanities

(12 credits) 12
Must include at least two subject areas
C. Social Sciences

(15 credits) 12
D. Natural Sciences and Mathematics

MATH180 TRIGONOMETRY 3CR

(13 credits) 12

One college-level mathematics course required (3)
One computer science course recommended (3)
Other natural sciences/mathematics (6)

E. General Education Electives

(19 credits) 18

II. Area of Study: Social Sciences 33
A. REQUIREMENTS
1. Students complete 33 credits in the social sciences concentration.
2. At least three different subjects must be included which provide for breadth of knowledge in the social sciences. Also, students must earn at least 12 credits in one subject area. A maximum of 18 credits can be earned in any one subject area in order to have a balanced interdisciplinary concentration.
3.Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State College are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A maximum of two college- level courses equating to the 100 level can be applied toward the area of concentration. A deeper knowledge of subjects is provided by requiring the remaining area of concentration college-level courses equate to levels 200, 300 or 400.

Psychology

Economics
MICROECONOMICS (WILL CLEP) 3CR

History
US HIST I (WILL CLEP) 3CR
US HIST II (WILL CLEP) 3CR
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (WILL CLEP) 3CR
VIETNAM WAR (WILL CLEP) 3CR

(34 credits)
III. Free Electives

(27 credits) 27

Total 120

Note 1: Any of the following areas are considered social sciences and may be used as a subject area in the concentration: anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, labor studies, political science, psychology, sociology.
Note 2: The following subject areas are interdisciplinary: African-American studies; American studies; Asian studies; environmental studies; urban studies; women's studies. Courses from any of these interdisciplinary subject areas may be applied toward an appropriate subject area in the concentration only if the content is related to social sciences.

Any ideas? Not sure if the 100 levels will count in the free electives. Plus, I don't know how much of my military experience will count here. As posted before, I am using courses as they appear on my transcript. Any input would be great. I am really excited at the idea of actually completing my degree by just CLEP/DSST'ing.

Going for:
???/120 complete

Next:
FEMA - max

Taken:
CLEP - US Hist I 54

Military Experience

morfritz Wrote:Ok, so let me see if I can do this myself. I had to WIKI Humanities and Social Science. ;-)

I copied the Degree Reqs directly from TESC so I apologize for the formatting difficulties.

Will this work:

Required courses Credits
I. General Education Requirements 60
A. English Composition

(7 credits) 6
B. Humanities

(12 credits) 12
C. Social Sciences

(15 credits) 12
D. Natural Sciences and Mathematics

MATH180 TRIGONOMETRY 3CR

(13 credits) 12

One college-level mathematics course required (3)
One computer science course recommended (3)
Other natural sciences/mathematics (6)

E. General Education Electives

(19 credits) 18

II. Area of Study: Social Sciences 33
A. REQUIREMENTS
1. Students complete 33 credits in the social sciences concentration.
2. At least three different subjects must be included which provide for breadth of knowledge in the social sciences. Also, students must earn at least 12 credits in one subject area. A maximum of 18 credits can be earned in any one subject area in order to have a balanced interdisciplinary concentration.
3.Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State College are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A maximum of two college- level courses equating to the 100 level can be applied toward the area of concentration. A deeper knowledge of subjects is provided by requiring the remaining area of concentration college-level courses equate to levels 200, 300 or 400.

Psychology

Economics
MICROECONOMICS (WILL CLEP) 3CR

History
US HIST I (WILL CLEP) 3CR
US HIST II (WILL CLEP) 3CR
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (WILL CLEP) 3CR
VIETNAM WAR (WILL CLEP) 3CR

(34 credits)
III. Free Electives

(27 credits) 27

Total 120

Note 1: Any of the following areas are considered social sciences and may be used as a subject area in the concentration: anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, labor studies, political science, psychology, sociology.
Note 2: The following subject areas are interdisciplinary: African-American studies; American studies; Asian studies; environmental studies; urban studies; women's studies. Courses from any of these interdisciplinary subject areas may be applied toward an appropriate subject area in the concentration only if the content is related to social sciences.

Any ideas? Not sure if the 100 levels will count in the free electives. Plus, I don't know how much of my military experience will count here. As posted before, I am using courses as they appear on my transcript. Any input would be great. I am really excited at the idea of actually completing my degree by just CLEP/DSST'ing.
>>

You are off to an excellent start with your plan. From what I can see, all of your credits are arts and science, which would mean 100% transfer. There "might" be a PE credit cap- I think there is but I don't know it, and since you only have 4 I highly doubt any excess credit there- but otherwise I see nothing that could be restricted in any way.
Ok- philosophy will be placed under humanities, and the engish comp needs to be 6 credits- I know you have 4, but you'll need ENG102 (or the CLEP) and the other English course will get bumped into humanities- there is a page in the TESC catalog that will help you shift a bit of your classes around. It's toward the back and it is the exam credit equivalencies. For example, you would need to know that the US History 1 CLEP is a 100 level "class", etc.

You will have to play with this a bit before you take any more CLEP/DSSTs. Without looking, I'm pretty sure the economics course -micro- is 100 level- so you will instead need 200 level or higher inside your major- but that's a small tweak TESC shifts numbers too, they will change you Intro Psych down to a 100 level.... but with so many credits earned, you are really close and need to plan carefully as to not duplicate credit.

Since you did a great job- I think you can pull off the rest of your degree plan in no time- look for the equivalency table and you'll be off and running!!! Good Job!Big Grin
Let me add one more quick thing- with a 16 credit psychology credit, there is no way to "really" know how TESC will use that. It's possible that you can still take Educational Psych and Growth and Development- both 200 level CLEPs, and you probably already have good knowledge- on the other hand- that's a question for a TESC advisor because the will actually evaluate that credit specifically. In other words, it's a bit more complicated, but it might work out really well- especially if that means you don't have to "learn" some of the upper level history credits and use what you already know.
Wow, thanks for the help. I'll check out the catalog and do some rearranging.

Going for:
???/120 complete

Next:
FEMA - max

Taken:
CLEP - US Hist I 54

Military Experience

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,664 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 26,573 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,942 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Anyone do the Naval War College MA in Security Studies? johnw 0 2,320 01-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Last Post: johnw
  65,000 military students have graduated with Excelsior College Life Long Learning 0 2,676 09-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Picking college for IT after finishing CCAF riderofdirt 5 4,792 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Champlain College now offering 70% tuition discount to Mil and their families deuce2w 2 2,278 12-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Last Post: deuce2w
  Advanced Enlistment with College Credits jmeitrem 15 7,231 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: C5259
  Thomas Edison State College Military Scholarships jmeitrem 9 3,058 12-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Last Post: jmeitrem
  Army Staff and Management College heinleineken 1 1,743 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Prloko