Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StraighterLine monthly membership is billed automatically—cancel before
Just a heads up to mark on your calendar when to cancel your SL membership before the next month—billing is automatic and there aren't any refunds:

Quote:StraighterLine Memberships
Monthly Membership fees are non-refundable and are charged automatically on each renewal date (i.e. monthly) until you cancel. You may cancel at any time during the month. Upon cancelation, your Membership will expire 30 days from the last payment. Any amounts paid prior to your cancellation are not refundable. To cancel your Membership, sign into your MyLine account on the site and go to Billing Preferences. Our Student Advisors are also available to assist. Please contact our Student Advisors at (877) 787-8375 , Live Chat or create a Support Request. Student Support Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-8:00pm, Saturday - Sunday, 9:30am - 5:00pm EST.
Source: https://www.straighterline.com/refunds/
[-] The following 1 user Likes pws's post:
  • davewill
Same thing for SDC, Aleks, etc.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 2 users Like zzzz24's post:
  • davewill, pws
@pws I'm not sure how someone could miss that. They do state its a subscription.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(04-04-2019, 11:02 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @pws I'm not sure how someone could miss that. They do state its a subscription.

Yeah, but it's an automatic renewal. If you forget, they bill you automatically, and they don't refund anything.
@pws thats what subscription means.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(04-04-2019, 11:16 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @pws thats what subscription means.

For subscriptions like Amazon Prime or a magazine, you're expecting it to renew every month. If you only need 1 or 2 SL courses—and especially if they don't explicitly say that the renewal is automatic and that there aren't any refunds, even one day after the renewal—then you could easily lose $100 by forgetting about it (which I'm sure some have). That's what I mean.

But anyway...
Thanks for trying to help people who may not be familiar with SL with the heads up
[-] The following 1 user Likes acamp's post:
  • pws
(04-04-2019, 08:53 AM)pws Wrote: Just a heads up to mark on your calendar when to cancel your SL membership before the next month—billing is automatic and there aren't any refunds:

Quote:StraighterLine Memberships
Monthly Membership fees are non-refundable and are charged automatically on each renewal date (i.e. monthly) until you cancel. You may cancel at any time during the month. Upon cancelation, your Membership will expire 30 days from the last payment. Any amounts paid prior to your cancellation are not refundable. To cancel your Membership, sign into your MyLine account on the site and go to Billing Preferences. Our Student Advisors are also available to assist. Please contact our Student Advisors at (877) 787-8375 , Live Chat or create a Support Request. Student Support Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-8:00pm, Saturday - Sunday, 9:30am - 5:00pm EST.
Source: https://www.straighterline.com/refunds/

Yep, SL has always been that way. If you're super annoying you can sometimes get them to refund a subscription if you miss the cutoff by a day or two, but 99% of the time it will not work since they have a no refunds policy.

This is why we always recommend that people cancel their SL subscription immediately after they sign up if they don't intend to use it for more than one month. If you cancel immediately all it does is cancel autorenewal... you can still use the subscription through the duration you paid for.

This is also important if you are planning to use a subscription discount coupon; your current subscription must end before you can sign up for a new one with the coupon.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • hsfamfun, pws
(04-04-2019, 12:58 PM)pws Wrote: For subscriptions like Amazon Prime [...] you're expecting it to renew every month. 

FYI, Amazon Prime renews automatically annually.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Merlin
(04-04-2019, 12:58 PM)pws Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 11:16 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @pws thats what subscription means.

For subscriptions like Amazon Prime or a magazine, you're expecting it to renew every month. If you only need 1 or 2 SL courses—and especially if they don't explicitly say that the renewal is automatic and that there aren't any refunds, even one day after the renewal—then you could easily lose $100 by forgetting about it (which I'm sure some have). That's what I mean.

But anyway...

If Straighterline didn't have a membership fee, then they would just charge $150+ per course. Since they have a subscription model, the price customers pay per course stays low. The more courses you take, the more money you save. I guess the closest examples would be Costco and Sam's. In short, you're paying a monthly fee to have access to Straighterline, and you pay a price for each course you want to take. Ed4Credit, in comparison, charges by the course, and each course costs $195. 

I can't remember what's shown to the student when he or she makes a purchase, but the terms and conditions tell customers that there is automatic renewal. Automatic renewal is also mentioned on the billing and refund webpages.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,345 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,479 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 333 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 324 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  SDC Cancel before grade finalized Milky_Way 2 398 12-10-2023, 11:55 AM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 638 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM