Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Business Statistics Tips
Question 
Hello there!

I am currently taking Straighterline's Business Statistics course and boy am I have great trouble. I seem to be doing progressively worse on each exam and my average grade is now 73%! And I am only on my 3rd exam.

For those wondering, I read all of the pages of the book I am assigned, I even take notes on each objective on Word (not in the ebook). However, I am at a great loss as the course seems to be getting trickier and is not lightening up. 

The worse part is, the practice quizzes provide me little to no help when it comes to the actual exams themselves. This is because the practice tests are literally true/false questions, which seems a little unfair judging by the actual exams are multiple choice questions.

This is my last Straighterline course and I would really not like to burn out of doing schoolwork before I transfer for it to the college I intend to go to (WGU). 

Therefore, students who have taken Straighterline's Business Statistics courses, are there any tips or tricks that you used to pass the exams. Taking certain notes, using certain outside resources, or anything?

I've heard that this is supposed to be the "easiest" statistics course out of ALEKS or Saylor, so it really feels awful for doing so poorly in it (as I LOVE math!).

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!  Smile
(07-11-2019, 08:35 PM)Bunii Wrote: Hello there!

I am currently taking Straighterline's Business Statistics course and boy am I have great trouble. I seem to be doing progressively worse on each exam and my average grade is now 73%! And I am only on my 3rd exam.

For those wondering, I read all of the pages of the book I am assigned, I even take notes on each objective on Word (not in the ebook). However, I am at a great loss as the course seems to be getting trickier and is not lightening up. 

The worse part is, the practice quizzes provide me little to no help when it comes to the actual exams themselves. This is because the practice tests are literally true/false questions, which seems a little unfair judging by the actual exams are multiple choice questions.

This is my last Straighterline course and I would really not like to burn out of doing schoolwork before I transfer for it to the college I intend to go to (WGU). 

Therefore, students who have taken Straighterline's Business Statistics courses, are there any tips or tricks that you used to pass the exams. Taking certain notes, using certain outside resources, or anything?

I've heard that this is supposed to be the "easiest" statistics course out of ALEKS or Saylor, so it really feels awful for doing so poorly in it (as I LOVE math!).

Straighterline's MAT150 (Business Statistics) is apparently easier than their MAT202 (Into to Statistics) course, and it may be easier than ALEKS or Saylor (I found Saylor courses to be terrible in general, but others love them), but the MAT150 is NOT the easiest overall.

I ended up taking my stats course via ALEKS (which I don't recommend, btw), but it is my understanding that the Study.com statistics course is more concept-based and has less of a focus on math. I know that there are folks who have posted here who had problems with ALEKS and Straighterline and found that the Study.com version was more reasonable. The Study.com course is probably the best option, but the easiest Statistics course is the intro to statistics course offered by Statistics.com. Supposedly that one is almost impossible to fail if you put in the time and effort. It is not a self-paced course though, and it is more expensive. But from what I gather, it is the easiest stats course overall.

Assuming you're sticking with the Straighterline course, remember that MAT150 course is open book, so you are allowed to refer to that during the quizzes and final exam if you need to.

I recommend that you supplement what you learn from SL with Khan Academy. Use KA to go over topics you're struggling with on your quizzes or look up stuff you're learning along the way. I used Khan Academy to learn stats when I took the course via ALEKS, and it worked pretty well. I think I passed the knowledge check with a 92% score and I only needed a 70% to earn credit.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Bunii, for supplemental material, this Udemy math teacher is great. I bought this course for $10 bucks last week (they have sales nearly every weekend). https://www.udemy.com/statistics-probability/

I am currently taking the Sophia.org Intro to Stats, which transfers in as STA-210. But the coupon code deal is over ($100 per course) so the course is now full-price (but you'd have to buy 3 to get the code anyway). But that could be an option for you. The course also includes 4 hours of free tutoring.

If you were going to consider the Statistics.com course, there is a coupon code, "welcome193", that is good until July 31st, so the Intro to Stats course would be $400 with the discount. But the dates may be too far out for you since you are anxious to transfer to WGU.

Next dates: 
August 02, 2019 to September 27, 2019
August 30, 2019 to October 25, 2019
October 04, 2019 to November 29, 2019
November 01, 2019 to December 27, 2019
November 29, 2019 to January 31, 2020

There also appears to be a free, 1-week "Preview" course of it as well. https://www.statistics.com/intro-stats-preview/ August 23, 2019 to August 30, 2019

HTH,

Danielle
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(07-12-2019, 02:52 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 08:35 PM)Bunii Wrote: Hello there!

Straighterline's MAT150 (Business Statistics) is apparently easier than their MAT202 (Into to Statistics) course, and it may be easier than ALEKS or Saylor (I found Saylor courses to be terrible in general, but others love them), but the MAT150 is NOT the easiest overall.

I ended up taking my stats course via ALEKS (which I don't recommend, btw), but it is my understanding that the Study.com statistics course is more concept-based and has less of a focus on math. I know that there are folks who have posted here who had problems with ALEKS and Straighterline and found that the Study.com version was more reasonable. The Study.com course is probably the best option, but the easiest Statistics course is the intro to statistics course offered by Statistics.com. Supposedly that one is almost impossible to fail if you put in the time and effort. It is not a self-paced course though, and it is more expensive. But from what I gather, it is the easiest stats course overall.

Assuming you're sticking with the Straighterline course, remember that MAT150 course is open book, so you are allowed to refer to that during the quizzes and final exam if you need to.

I recommend that you supplement what you learn from SL with Khan Academy. Use KA to go over topics you're struggling with on your quizzes or look up stuff you're learning along the way. I used Khan Academy to learn stats when I took the course via ALEKS, and it worked pretty well. I think I passed the knowledge check with a 92% score and I only needed a 70% to earn credit.

Thank you Merlin for the advice! I'll definitely try Khan Academy. The problem with Straighterline is there's a certain 'way' to pass their courses. Having the course "open book" does allow a little room for air, but it is still much more limiting than one can image (i.e: only allowed to have one sheet of notes). Although, I do suppose it's better than nothing. And because there's little student advice about Business Statistics (Unlike SL's Calculus course), going in completely blind is quite difficult. Especially when experimenting with different study methods. 
I've heard of Khan Academy before, so I'll look into it some more later today and see how it can help. Thank you very much once again!

(07-12-2019, 06:01 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Bunii, for supplemental material, this Udemy math teacher is great. I bought this course for $10 bucks last week (they have sales nearly every weekend). https://www.udemy.com/statistics-probability/

I am currently taking the Sophia.org Intro to Stats, which transfers in as STA-210. But the coupon code deal is over ($100 per course) so the course is now full-price (but you'd have to buy 3 to get the code anyway). But that could be an option for you. The course also includes 4 hours of free tutoring.

If you were going to consider the Statistics.com course, there is a coupon code, "welcome193", that is good until July 31st, so the Intro to Stats course would be $400 with the discount. But the dates may be too far out for you since you are anxious to transfer to WGU.

Next dates: 
August 02, 2019 to September 27, 2019
August 30, 2019 to October 25, 2019
October 04, 2019 to November 29, 2019
November 01, 2019 to December 27, 2019
November 29, 2019 to January 31, 2020

There also appears to be a free, 1-week "Preview" course of it as well. https://www.statistics.com/intro-stats-preview/ August 23, 2019 to August 30, 2019

HTH,

Danielle

Hello there Danielle,

Thank you for the information about Udemy! It's looks pretty promising, so I'll take a look at it. Unfortunately, I'm more into the courses with a "self-paced" structure, so the Statistics.com course probably will not work for me at this time. Thank you for all the coupon deals too, really appreciate it! Helps me to save the little money I have.  Tongue

Hope you do well in your Statistics course too!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bunii's post:
  • CarpeDiem8

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 25,750 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 241 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 438 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University of Northern Alabama Competency Business Degree natshar 6 672 07-19-2023, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 809 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Tips on How to Get Straight A’s in College LevelUP 19 4,035 05-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 605 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 456 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 516 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Anyone Have Any Tips for Searching for College News? LevelUP 0 402 12-19-2022, 05:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP