Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Course Questions (Accounting and Into to Comm/English II)
Likiro Wrote:I just completed Intro to Communications. I completed it in a week. I thought it was pretty easy. There are 3 speeches that you have to record and upload to youtube. I didn't spend a lot of time prepping for them and I got 97-100 on all three. The rest of the grade is open book quizzes and final.

I am curious to hear about English Comp II. I need that class and I'm trying to decide between SL and TECEP.

I took the English Comp II TECEP, I thought it was pretty easy - I went in cold, and did no studying for it.

You are allowed to use a writers handbook during the exam, I spent a few minutes looking up the specific things listed on the Study Guide, and put post-it's on the pages that addressed those areas. I got the Hodges Harbrace Handbook at my local library.

I'm really glad I took this exam instead of writing papers and doing all of the work on SL - took me about 2 hours. And it was cheaper (for me anyway, since I wasn't a member of SL at the time).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you for the feedback! Maybe I will give that a try. I took English Comp I 20 years ago :p so I'm a little intimidated by the writing, but the time savings is definitely appealing!
I have to admit I overlooked the TECEP option. You say you went in cold but how well versed in English Comp where you going in. I don't consider myself a pro by any means. I would say my English Comp skills is somewhere around the middle of the road. Is this test available completely online? I'd rather not have to hand write again like I did for my College Comp Modular CLEP. I think that's the reason I will find out I failed the essay portion for HVCC.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
dfrecore Wrote:Why would you think that the Financial Accounting course you're currently taking wouldn't transfer to TESU? Most of them do, especially if it's from a CC. There shouldn't be a problem at all.

Well I am hoping that the Financial Accounting I am taking with transfer into TESU as the Core Financial Accounting course and not Intermediate Accounting. Meaning I am assuming TESU will take my ACTG - 110 (Financial Accounting) as ACC-101 and when I take ACTG-111 (Managerial Accounting) it will come in as ACC-102.

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
Synicaal Wrote:I have to admit I overlooked the TECEP option. You say you went in cold but how well versed in English Comp where you going in. I don't consider myself a pro by any means. I would say my English Comp skills is somewhere around the middle of the road. Is this test available completely online? I'd rather not have to hand write again like I did for my College Comp Modular CLEP. I think that's the reason I will find out I failed the essay portion for HVCC.

I last took English Comp I in 1997, so it's not like it was fresh for me. I'm a decent writer, but nothing special. And it's all online, so no writing.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Synicaal Wrote:Well I am hoping that the Financial Accounting I am taking with transfer into TESU as the Core Financial Accounting course and not Intermediate Accounting. Meaning I am assuming TESU will take my ACTG - 110 (Financial Accounting) as ACC-101 and when I take ACTG-111 (Managerial Accounting) it will come in as ACC-102.

Yes, that should be how TESU brings them in. I'm not sure why you would think that they would bring them in as Intermediate - they clearly aren't at that school. If they consider them the first 2 courses of accounting, then TESU will as well.
dfrecore Wrote:Yes, that should be how TESU brings them in. I'm not sure why you would think that they would bring them in as Intermediate - they clearly aren't at that school. If they consider them the first 2 courses of accounting, then TESU will as well.

Because if I learned anything about how colleges operate they like to do crazy stuff like that. At least that has been my experience at HVCC anyways. If I find that I passed English Comp I at HVCC then I am just going to take Comp II at HVCC. Makes sense its basically free with my PELL Grant and TAP. And it would benefit me more then take Principles of QuickBooks or Advanced Bookkeeping Applications.

Synicaal Wrote:Hello All,

I was wondering if someone knows of a post on here with an overview and review of the following three courses.

Financial Accounting (Xfers to TESU as Intermediate Accounting I)
Managerial Accounting (Xfers to TESU as Cost Accounting)
Intro To Communications
English II

Easiest/quickest courses for me at SL were Cultural Anthropology, Religion and Intro to Communications.
Intro to Communciations needs 3 very basic presentations uploading to Youtube, they don't need a huge amount of work to get a good score.

English II is straightforward, but you need to write about 20 pages in total, so it depends on how quickly you can write. You also need to read Frankenstein or at a minimum cliffnotes/summaries of the book.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
One more question about SL courses. If the break down is like this :

TOPIC ASSESSMENT POINTS AVAILABLE
4 Graded Exam 125
7 Graded Exam 125
7 Midterm Exam 200
11 Graded Exam 125
14 Graded Exam 125
15 Final Graded Exam 300
Total 1000

Is just the Final Graded Exam Proctored?? also according to the points system if I can somehow manage a 100 on everything before the final I wouldn't need anything right on the final in order to hit 700/1000 points?? Just trying to decide if I want to try and take on 2 SL courses and 5 CC courses all at the same time.

Yes, that's correct! My son just took 8 SL courses this past month and for most of them he had to score either nothing, or a 15 or 20, to pass the course. It was fantastic compared to his Saylor experience where the entire thing was dependent on the one final exam. Also, many of the courses on SL have open book finals. Micro/Macroeconomics and most of the sciences are closed book.

Synicaal Wrote:One more question about SL courses. If the break down is like this :

TOPIC ASSESSMENT POINTS AVAILABLE
4 Graded Exam 125
7 Graded Exam 125
7 Midterm Exam 200
11 Graded Exam 125
14 Graded Exam 125
15 Final Graded Exam 300
Total 1000

Is just the Final Graded Exam Proctored?? also according to the points system if I can somehow manage a 100 on everything before the final I wouldn't need anything right on the final in order to hit 700/1000 points?? Just trying to decide if I want to try and take on 2 SL courses and 5 CC courses all at the same time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Offer for StraighterLine Course hsufeng 0 83 04-23-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,001 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 534 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 188 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,363 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 4,376 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 346 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 346 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,693 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Managerial Accounting Sophia faptaincrunch 2 433 02-03-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch