Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline -- and vs. Study.com?
(09-07-2017, 06:32 PM)a2jc4life Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 06:23 PM)BingCherry Wrote: my opinion only...
I feel like Study.com would be better if you don't know the materials. Straighterline would be for stuff you already have some knowledge/experience in. That's just me.
Study is straightforward and bite sized and steady paced. Much easier digested and tested on an unknown topic.
Straighterline has two textbooks, and one is just an E book version of the big college course textbooks you'd buy for a brick and mortar classroom. Way too much stuff to cover to make it worthwhile to take if time and cost are important to you! (I really can't explain it well, but I'm trying!)

I think I get what you're saying.  Study.com's content is more streamlined?

Straighterline's MO is pretty much "here's some stuff, take the tests."

Study.com does a much better job of "drilling" the material and you retain it a bit better. They cut everything into small chunks, then you practice with a 5 question quiz for that "chunk."

With Straighterline, I have typically done worse than I expected on finals, even with subjects I know fairly well. With Study.com I have done better than anticipated on the finals, even with material I didn't think I knew that well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aviator guy's post:
  • a2jc4life
Sounds like it probably depends on lot on whether I want to really learn the material or only care about being able to pass the class.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
[-] The following 1 user Likes a2jc4life's post:
  • suzycupcake
(09-13-2017, 09:19 AM)a2jc4life Wrote: Sounds like it probably depends on lot on whether I want to really learn the material or only care about being able to pass the class.

It also depends on what your learning style is.  Each has it's pros and cons, but a lot depends on the person.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • a2jc4life
IMHO, it depends on your learning style, AND your own personal interest in learning the material for yourself vs. just passing the exams. I've learned a TON from SL classes; they're what gave me a strong foundation in business concepts. I used to take my time; go over the lessons, read the textbook, take notes, etc. Now I just take the exams and look up answers in the book as I go. Same types of courses; different approaches. One takes more time, one takes less, both get you the pass.

For SC, I feel like I get the same out of the course regardless of if I'm "trying" or not, BUT I've only been doing them in my "speed" mindset so I can't say for sure if I would get more out of it slowing down. Maybe if I took the practice chapter exams more? I dunno.

But, like most things in life, you get what you *want* out of courses. If you want to learn, you'll learn. If you don't care as much, then you're probably not going to gain as much.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gymfan15's post:
  • a2jc4life
(09-13-2017, 09:19 AM)a2jc4life Wrote: Sounds like it probably depends on lot on whether I want to really learn the material or only care about being able to pass the class.

It mostly depends on the learning style. I'm an independent learner and do not want to be spoon fed info through cheap, elementary school videos. I didn't learn anything from Study.com because I couldn't even get through the course.

I agree with the post above. It also depends on how much you want to learn. If you take the time to read the book, then you'll learn while completing an SL course. There are a couple of people here who have found a way to speed through Study.com courses without watching the videos or reading the transcripts in most cases.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • a2jc4life
I'm not sure if anyone can answer this for me, but it seems like everyone talks about how easy straighterline is because of the open book tests but I'm curious if it's only "easier" because people are looking up the answers on google. My daughter tried taking US History both with study and straighterline and she had a really hard time finding answers in the e-textbook. She didn't feel like the questions on the mid-term or final matched the lecture/slides or questions in the lectures. Thanks!

Q: What materials can I use during an exam?
A: It depends on the exam. For exams except the final exam, unauthorized materials or aids are not permitted though you may use the following reference materials:

• The book(s) or other assigned reading materials listed in the course syllabus

• One (1) sheet of 8 ½ X 11 paper (front and back) of prepared notes

• Blank scratch paper

• A pen or pencil

• A calculator (for math and science courses requiring calculations only, please note what type of calculator [graphing vs. scientific] is permitted for your specific exam)
Use of the following resources, services, and aids during exams is strictly prohibited by the StraighterLine Student Handbook:

• Additional texts or reference materials not listed within the course syllabus

• Search engines (Google.com, Ask.com, Yahoo Answers, etc.)

• Question and answer sites

• Study sites

• Tutoring

• Forums

• Chat applications

• Landline or cellular phones
By submitting your answers for a graded exam, you confirm that the work is your own and that you're taking the exam in accordance with the StraighterLine Academic Honesty Policy.
Study.com WARNING.

Hello Community,

Since the majority of the community is taking study.com (SDC) courses, I thought I would share my own story. I have just experienced a new SDC policy change, which is directly affecting credits/exams.

I created a new thread with the details. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...icy-change
Study.com's app is reason enough to take everything through Study.com, imo

You will get so much more done when you can study anywhere vs only at your desk or whatever.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • eriehiker, Muldoon
Study.com has too many quizzes compared with StraighterLine. Definitely, SDC will take more time to complete.
------------------

Does Excelsior College have a deal with Study.com to where I can complete a Study.com course and gain credit instead of taking a Uexcel for example? I'm studying for my fifth Uexcel (World Conflicts since 1900), and using Study.com as one of my sources to take the Uexcel. It's my last test before I graduate! (Except for Capstone).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 79 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,284 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,473 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,613 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly