Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com ACE credit recommendations? $200 for 6 credits
Does anyone know if any of these courses are accepted at EC for Upper Level credit? I was planning on using Study.com as an adjunct to IC for the DSSTs World Religions/Civil War - I don't see any references on their site as these being available for actual UL credit, but if it's possible - hey, sounds like an option worth considering...
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
SuZQ2 Wrote:Does anyone know if any of these courses are accepted at EC for Upper Level credit? I was planning on using Study.com as an adjunct to IC for the DSSTs World Religions/Civil War - I don't see any references on their site as these being available for actual UL credit, but if it's possible - hey, sounds like an option worth considering...

For the DSST in Civil War & Reconstruction, most people recommend reading the Sparknotes.com guide, Schmoop Guide, and watching a few hours of some documentary on Netflix. That and InstantCert + the 2 practice DSST exams should suffice imo.
I enjoyed their videos quite a bit to prepare for the Saylor Principles of marketing test. I appreciate having video resources to break up the massive amount of reading I do while studying. The question of if it's worth the price is certainly subjective. For me, it was worthwhile.

I had only the basic membership, I can't attest to the quality of the credit bearing programs, but I imagine the material is similar. I would consider using them again, if I had a need. $33 per credit hour is still extremely cheap, even if not the cheapest option available.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
SuzanneD Wrote:My only issue with the price is that not all the courses are ace approved, so you would still have to additionally pay about $100 for clep, dsst, or tecep test. Unless I am missing something.
Defscarlet and Tinhead, that is what I was thinking about doing too.

I think it is 19 of the courses are ACE approved. If you do 2 a month that is equal to $100 per 3 credits
SuzanneD Wrote:defscarlett, based on your quizzes for US history do you think this would be good prep for clep and dsst?

Yes. I just looked over the exam specifications from CLEP and it lines up well. In fact I found the quiz questions to be harder on study.com than US History CLEP practice tests. US History was set into 12 chapters with 6-12 lessons with 5 minute videos for each lesson. A transcript of the video is also provided if you can't listen to the video. It's broken down into 108 different quizzes (1 quiz per lesson, 10 questions each), and 12 practice exams (one exam per chapter, 30 questions each) and then the proctored final exam. You have the option to answer a question multiple times until it's correct before you move on to the next question in a quiz. The practice exam you have to answer all questions, then submit for grade and it will return with any questions answered incorrectly and the correct answer and then gives the option to retake exam.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
mednat Wrote:I enjoyed their videos quite a bit to prepare for the Saylor Principles of marketing test. I appreciate having video resources to break up the massive amount of reading I do while studying. The question of if it's worth the price is certainly subjective. For me, it was worthwhile.

I had only the basic membership, I can't attest to the quality of the credit bearing programs, but I imagine the material is similar. I would consider using them again, if I had a need. $33 per credit hour is still extremely cheap, even if not the cheapest option available.

The materials are the exact same regardless of membership.
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
Thanks defscarlett. That was very helpful.
The only question I still have about study.com is what the final exam would be like and if it's "open book." The practice exams were just a rehash of questions asked during the quizzes, I wonder if that will hold true for the final exam.

Completed:
defscarlett Wrote:The only question I still have about study.com is what the final exam would be like and if it's "open book." The practice exams were just a rehash of questions asked during the quizzes, I wonder if that will hold true for the final exam.

I plan on taking 2 next month. I will tell you what they are like
Does anyone know if TESC will accept any of these?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 8 242 04-27-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: 3ichael7ambert
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,612 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 447 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 275 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 765 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,993 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 272 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 730 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 760 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,284 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso