Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com - Are 2 course completions a week achievable?
Exclamation 
Hello Everyone, 

I'm new here ( well I've been following for months  -  I just decided to make a account finally  Smile ) . I'm going to re-enroll back in to WGU after taking some time off. I was previously under the BSBM program but now I'm going to re-enroll back under BS - IT Management degree. My start date is not until July 1st so I have time to complete some courses and transfer them in.

I was looking to complete the following courses through Study.com ( CLEP and DSST can be an option if it's faster to complete but if I can use one source I will) at 2 per week and I anted to know if this achievable to do?
  • Introduction to Communication
  • College Algebra
  • Introduction to Probability and Statistics
  • Survey of United States History
  • Introduction to Psychology
  • Business Communication
  • Marketing Fundamentals
  • Information Systems Management
  • Microeconomics
  • Macroeconomics
  • Global Business
  • Principles of Finance
  • Managerial Accounting
  • Introduction to Human Resource Management
  • Workforce Planning: Recruitment and Selection
  • Project Management
  • Business of IT - Applications
  • Data Management - Foundations
  • Network and Security - Foundations
I think it's very doable. People here have done more, but be careful not to burn yourself out.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

I personally think it is very aggressive - especially if you're working. Of course depending on your existing knowledge, the amount of time you can work on getting things done, and the platform (Study.com or otherwise) it could be done.  I had a few courses in subjects I had some (or a lot of) knowledge about and completed one a week (working full-time), most of the time I averaged about 2 a month (Study.com picked that 2 a month for good reason).  I would suggest that you knock out he subjects you know the most about, and then attack those that have some common subject area(s) or overlap (i.e Micro and Macro back to back, Introduction to Communication/Business Communication).  And finally, it might be wise to choose the subjects you least want to do through WGU - get those out of the way.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I have heard WGU will not let you transfer classes in after you are enrolled. You might want to check their policy on transferring in credits if you are "re-enrolling". I don't know their policy on that but you should make sure they will accept the classes before you put all that work in.

2 of those classes a week at study.com is aggressive even if you are not working. You would have to be super motivated, but it is possible.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
(01-25-2019, 04:58 PM)mudball Wrote: I have heard WGU will not let you transfer classes in after you are enrolled. You might want to check their policy on transferring in credits if you are "re-enrolling". I don't know their policy on that but you should make sure they will accept the classes before you put all that work in.

2 of those classes a week at study.com is aggressive even if you are not working. You would have to be super motivated, but it is possible.

I'm not enrolled. I said I will be re-enrolling. You don't enrolled until you have actually completed that process which is usually or 2 month before your start date (to complete evaluation, finaid, etc). I know the rules since I've been there before and the classes I listed are the classes I already discussed that I would be transferring in May ( with a start date of July 1st) with my counselor.
(01-25-2019, 12:31 PM)lalacabore Wrote: Hello Everyone, 

I'm new here ( well I've been following for months  -  I just decided to make a account finally  Smile ) . I'm going to re-enroll back in to WGU after taking some time off. I was previously under the BSBM program but now I'm going to re-enroll back under BS - IT Management degree. My start date is not until July 1st so I have time to complete some courses and transfer them in.

I was looking to complete the following courses through Study.com ( CLEP and DSST can be an option if it's faster to complete but if I can use one source I will) at 2 per week and I anted to know if this achievable to do?
  • College Algebra
  • Business Communication
  • Marketing Fundamentals
  • Microeconomics
  • Macroeconomics
  • Global Business
  • Principles of Finance
  • Managerial Accounting
  • Project Management

The answer is yes, but it is highly dependent on the individual. If these are subject areas you're already familiar with or you have a lot of free time, then sure. In my experience, most SDC courses take between 20-80 hours to complete if you're coming in with no prior knowledge. I took 20 courses at SDC and averaged 3-4 per month, with 6 completed courses in my last month. Two per week would be 8-10 courses per month, which is incredibly aggressive. It is doable if you can dedicate nearly every waking moment to studying.

That said, people burn through WGU courses as fast, or faster, than people can get through SDC/SL courses or CLEP/DSST exams. I'm curious why you're looking to use ACE courses to accelerate your WGU progress instead of just accelerating your courses via WGU. There are a number of examples of people completing their entire bachelor's degree at WGU in a single term, so it is just as doable there and doesn't require paying SDC $619 for 8 courses each month.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
To answer your question, it really depends on the class more than anything.  And how much time you have to devote to it, in a day.

Examples:

I finished Ethics of Sociology in a day.  No sweat.  No assignments.  Just quizzes and a final.  I never even looked at the class before, and the first thing that I did was take the Practice final exam, and got an 80 on it.  I knew it would be a breeze.

The Holocaust Upper Level took me a week.  I hated the writing assignments.  I write very well, but it took me forever to compose the content of the essay.

Many of the classes that you listed, I took the Straighterline equivalent and flew through them.  I prefer SL, but Study has more Upper Level options.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

Possibly depending on how many hours a week you can devote to study, how fast you learn, and if you care about actually learning the material. It also depends upon the course. Some courses have assignments than can be rather time consuming. Don't tell yourself that you can't until you've attempted it. But at the same time don't get discouraged by setting unattainable goals.
TESU BSBA Accounting 2019 (In progress)
(01-25-2019, 06:46 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 12:31 PM)lalacabore Wrote: Hello Everyone, 

• College Algebra
  • Business Communication
  • Marketing Fundamentals
  • Microeconomics
  • Macroeconomics
  • Global Business
  • Principles of Finance
  • Managerial Accounting
  • Project Management

The answer is yes, but it is highly dependent on the individual. If these are subject areas you're already familiar with or you have a lot of free time, then sure. In my experience, most SDC courses take between 20-80 hours to complete if you're coming in with no prior knowledge. I took 20 courses at SDC and averaged 3-4 per month, with 6 completed courses in my last month. Two per week would be 8-10 courses per month, which is incredibly aggressive. It is doable if you can dedicate nearly every waking moment to studying.

That said, people burn through WGU courses as fast, or faster, than people can get through SDC/SL courses or CLEP/DSST exams. I'm curious why you're looking to use ACE courses to accelerate your WGU progress instead of just accelerating your courses via WGU. There are a number of examples of people completing their entire bachelor's degree at WGU in a single term, so it is just as doable there and doesn't require paying SDC $619 for 8 courses each month.

Cost. I'm paying out of pocket. I haven't seen anyone ( so far ) complete this particular degree in one term. Paying 619 a month is cheaper than paying 3400 up front. Even if you go on a payment plan with WGU it's over 900 a month because you have to pay it off in 4 months ( not 6 like term length)
(01-25-2019, 08:24 PM)lalacabore Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 06:46 PM)Merlin Wrote: That said, people burn through WGU courses as fast, or faster, than people can get through SDC/SL courses or CLEP/DSST exams. I'm curious why you're looking to use ACE courses to accelerate your WGU progress instead of just accelerating your courses via WGU. There are a number of examples of people completing their entire bachelor's degree at WGU in a single term, so it is just as doable there and doesn't require paying SDC $619 for 8 courses each month.

Cost. I'm paying out of pocket. I haven't seen anyone ( so far ) complete this particular degree in one term. Paying 619 a month is cheaper than paying 3400 up front. Even if you go on a payment plan with WGU it's over 900 a month because you have to pay it off in 4 months ( not 6 like term length)

I get that, except that you'll still need to pay the $3400 after taking these courses, so you're effectively paying twice. Unless you know for sure it'll take two terms to finish, or you want to hedge your bets to be safe, and complete one of those terms before enrolling at WGU.

To finish a bachelor's degree at WGU in one term (from 0 credits) requires completing 6-7 courses (20 credits) per month. You need even less if you're transferring in credits as well. So if you're capable of completing 8-10 courses per month using ACE, you could do the same via WGU and finish under 6 months.

Either way will get you there. I'm just looking at the financial differences.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • natshar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,280 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,471 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,610 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 277 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue