Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Study.com Essays and Assignments
I've been working hard and I have a bunch of study.com courses all completed but I just haven't done the projects. I just need some guidance as far as stating:

1) The assignment directions just sound vague and not clear.

2) I've never written anything in APA format ever. I've used MLA but never APA. I'm not sure where to start especially for citing sources. I know I'll have to learn this as I'm told the capstone is a ton of APA.

3) I don't know how tough the grading is and what they are looking for. The standards, the level of thought, work, etc

I don't think the assignments themselves, sound too difficult, I know academically I'd be able to do them. I'm just not sure where to begin. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, could anybody PM me a study.com UL essay they got a good grade on (preferably from a business or leadership course) just so I can get a better idea of what they are looking for and what a good essay looks like.

I hope this thread makes sense as it is difficult to convey into words for some reason. Thanks in advance.
(02-11-2019, 02:38 AM)natshar Wrote: 2) I've never written anything in APA format ever. I've used MLA but never APA. I'm not sure where to start especially for citing sources. I know I'll have to learn this as I'm told the capstone is a ton of APA.

This is a good link: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_...ction.html

Here's another: https://www.apastyle.org/manual/related/...aper-1.pdf

(02-11-2019, 02:38 AM)natshar Wrote: 3) I don't know how tough the grading is and what they are looking for. The standards, the level of thought, work, etc

The rubric should have specifics. I just did the level that I did for other online and B&M college courses. I find that as I write, it becomes clear if I have to add detail or if I'm meeting the word count already.

[-] The following 4 users Like Ideas's post:
  • jch, MrPanda, Pikachu, runningtherace2
My best advice would be to write for the rubric, that’s where the points are.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
1) I’m guessing they’re intended to be that way so they get at least a little variety in the papers. Just pick a direction and go with it.

2) So for SDC papers, the only thing I really used APA for was the citations. And I just used the basic auto format from Word. I really didn’t follow APA in any other way, at least not intentionally. They will however want your paper to be divided into sections with headings to make it more readable. I got dinged on that once and always included headings thereafter.

3) I found that grading to be pretty fair. Maybe on the more lenient side? Just have the rubric next to you while you write and try to fulfill is as best you can.

The other thing for me is that while I did give the essays a good shot, I didn’t try my best on them. I always did my essays after the final, so I knew I only needed a pretty low score to actually pass the class. I did still try to do well, but didn’t necessarily try my best like with the Capstone. That said, I don’t think I ever got below an 80% on my papers. Also, ironically enough, in general for the UL papers, the ones I spent the most time and thought on tended to score less than the ones I threw together more quickly and didn’t care about as much. I don’t know what that says about my writing or editing - ha! But I would say, just don’t sweat it too much!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
Thanks, everyone. Yeah I know it's nothing to stress about, but getting started on assignments is nothing new it's something I've struggled with since I was a kid. And while I know I could find ways to get all UL credit I need without writing essays (through Davar and Coopersmith) I realized this would be good practice for the capstone course. If I didn't do these papers, I would so lost when I take the capstone.

Also, just wondering how long does it take to write a paper or do a project for study.com from start to finish for you?
(02-11-2019, 09:53 AM)natshar Wrote: Thanks, everyone. Yeah I know it's nothing to stress about, but getting started on assignments is nothing new it's something I've struggled with since I was a kid. And while I know I could find ways to get all UL credit I need without writing essays (through Davar and Coopersmith) I realized this would be good practice for the capstone course. If I didn't do these papers, I would so lost when I take the capstone.

Also, just wondering how long does it take to write a paper or do a project for study.com from start to finish for you?

I'm not a big essay writer but I did throw together my last essay for a class in just a few hours and got a decent grade despite being well under the desired word count(I already had passed the quizzes, test and first 2 assignments with high grades so didn't worry about the last one.)

I'm a slow writer so my papers that were of higher quality took me a day or 2 I think.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-11-2019, 09:53 AM)natshar Wrote: Thanks, everyone. Yeah I know it's nothing to stress about, but getting started on assignments is nothing new it's something I've struggled with since I was a kid. And while I know I could find ways to get all UL credit I need without writing essays (through Davar and Coopersmith) I realized this would be good practice for the capstone course. If I didn't do these papers, I would so lost when I take the capstone.

Getting started is always the hardest!

There were a couple shorter ones I could do in a day if I worked hard and stayed semi-focused.  I think most of mine I did over 2-3 days.  Finding the research can be pretty time-consuming.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
(02-11-2019, 07:02 PM)TexasTink Wrote:

There were a couple shorter ones I could do in a day if I worked hard and stayed semi-focused.  I think most of mine I did over 2-3 days.  Finding the research can be pretty time-consuming.

Yeah I figured. any recommendation of a site to find sources?
(02-11-2019, 07:30 PM)natshar Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 07:02 PM)TexasTink Wrote:

Yeah I figured. any recommendation of a site to find sources?

I used the scholarly/academic research databases available free through my local library. All the articles were peer reviewed, credible articles and had an option to copy/paste citation info in MLA or APA.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Pikachu
What MNomadic has suggested would be the best option. Alternatively, you could search on Google Scholar as well.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,278 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,469 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,604 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 966 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 277 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 680 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM