Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com New CS Courses
Haha I also used double pointers!! I used one function for pushing and popping from the stack. I cant remember did the course cover double pointers!?

I dint read the global thing though and I used 1 global, a pointer for the head of the list and I guess they wont count the struct for the list.

Oh congrats! I finished my Capstone already and was ready to move on to grad school. I dont know about the business capstone but the LA capstone was a pleasure since I designed something, it was fun to document. Got an A.

However I really want to work in the embeeded industry and hopefully migrate to the US thanks to advice I got @davewill since I cant afford to do an EE degree right now, an extra year to do CS is definately worth it as it can still get me into the industry.
I might even pay for the compregensive tuition plan and do a math BA and have the BALS removed if I can complete it by next september.

@merlin think you'll do the CS degree as a second!? Its fun!! I saw the computer architecture course you must design part of a CPU!! I designed my own CPU about 2 years ago! Most run project I ever did in my life! Programming it in binary was so cool!! It was in VHDL though...I dont think the SDC course covers VHDL.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • Ideas
(10-27-2018, 03:53 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Haha I also used double pointers!! I used one function for pushing and popping from the stack. I cant remember did the course cover double pointers!?

I dint read the global thing though and I used 1 global, a pointer for the head of the list and I guess they wont count the struct for the list.

I don't believe they did. I just looked back over the pointers chapter and they don't mention it there, but they do discuss pointers to arrays, which is effectively the same thing. The assignment can obviously be done with regular pointers but requires passing the head node around and returning it every time something is updated, and I didn't want to deal with the extra work. Hopefully whoever grades this actually knows C and understands what we're doing rather than relying on what is covered in the course or on a "how to grade this assignment" playbook. I suspect they're more interested in the output of the code rather than the semantics anyway.

As for the global, I was originally using a global pointer for the head of the list as well, before I noticed the restriction and re-coded it so the head pointer is defined only in main().

(10-27-2018, 03:53 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Oh congrats! I finished my Capstone already and was ready to move on to grad school. I dont know about the business capstone but the LA capstone was a pleasure since I designed something, it was fun to document. Got an A.

Unfortunately, the business capstone isn't as fun. It is 7 case studies, 5 discussion assignments, a midterm exam, and a ~20 page final paper on business strategy. I'd have rather designed something. That does sound like fun.

(10-27-2018, 03:53 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: However I really want to work in the embeeded industry and hopefully migrate to the US thanks to advice I got @davewill since I cant afford to do an EE degree right now, an extra year to do CS is definately worth it as it can still get me into the industry.
I might even pay for the compregensive tuition plan and do a math BA and have the BALS removed if I can complete it by next september.

I know TESU won't award a third bachelor's degree, but I've never heard of someone having a degree removed to replace it with another. I'm not sure why they would do that, or how.

(10-27-2018, 03:53 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @merlin think you'll do the CS degree as a second!? Its fun!! I saw the computer architecture course you must design part of a CPU!!  I designed my own CPU about 2 years ago! Most run project I ever did in my life! Programming it in binary was so cool!! It was in VHDL though...I dont think the SDC course covers VHDL.

I have considered adding the BACS (or more likely the BSCS or BSSE from WGU). However, it wouldn't really be helpful to me in my career given I'm an established expert in my field already with more than two decades of experience and a number of published works to my credit. I don't really do much hands-on coding these days anyway, other than for personal projects. The business degree is much more applicable to what I do now.

After I finish my MSML and/or MBA from WGU, which is my plan for next year, I'm considering applying to the Georgia Tech OMSCS program to see if I can get in there. Though I'd be doing that mainly for academic purposes since I have considered going into teaching at some point, and having a masters from Georgia Tech would be handy for that. I've also got my eye on a few Ph.D. business programs which would be more academic focused as well.

If I were you, given you already have the bachelor's, I'd be looking at something like the OMSCS instead of a BACS.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
So here's a question: between SL, SDC, Saylor and OD, we now have "intro" courses available in python, Java, c and c++, do we have any intermediate/advanced options in those languages that won't duplicate?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-27-2018, 04:25 PM)MNomadic Wrote: So here's a question: between SL, SDC, Saylor and OD, we now have "intro" courses available in python, Java, c and c++, do we have any intermediate/advanced options in those languages that won't duplicate?

Well, intermediate and advanced is relative. For example, the Study.com C course is a combination of intro and intermediate/advanced material. Had it been me developing that material, I'd have broken it up into two courses: one introductory course and a second more advanced course, and then spent more effort expanding on each (and require more assignments along the way).

I haven't looked at the Study.com C++ course, but the SL version was mostly introductory, and I'm pretty sure those would duplicate. I'd like to take the Java and Python courses, but my degree plan is full. Maybe after I get the degree I'll come back to look at those for a future BACS or BSCS/BSSE.

Either way, none of the courses that I've seen come in as upper division credit, and I suspect they are all targeted as "introductory" level programming courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
@merlin I hope they really are looking at just the input and output of the program. Well I think I can ask them to remove it since I was due for december graduation, but dint actually graduate yet. I only need 15 UL credits the BA in math once I do all the courses I have planned. So mmm...cant hurt to learn more math.

Yeah I was thinking of grad school in CS but I really really want a masters in EE. I LOVE it. Ihave been doing electronics everyday since I was 8! I will be self actualized with that masters in EE and CS or Math is usually listed as alternatives for those without an EE undergrad.

Wow!! That is amazing!! I only have one book published by Apress but I hope to be like you one day.

When I finish my BA in CS is your company hiring!? Lol

@mnomadic the languages as all semamtics. Do C and one OOP language C++, Java or Python. More advanced course in languages is a Data Structues course which we deparately need!
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I'm working on my BSBA CIS AOS and my BALS NSM with mainly CS/CIS courses as well. I have a question - With the new CS/CIS courses from Study & OD.com and the downgrade from SL/Saylor, which courses should I be taking and in what order from easiest to hardest, will there be any overlap so the courses would be easier?
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(10-27-2018, 04:35 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @merlin I hope they really are looking at just the input and output of the program. Well I think I can ask them to remove it since I was due for december graduation, but dint actually graduate yet. I only need 15 UL credits the BA in math once I do all the courses I have planned. So mmm...cant hurt to learn more math.

Yeah I was thinking of grad school in CS but I really really want a masters in EE. I LOVE it. Ihave been doing electronics everyday since I was 8! I will be self actualized with that masters in EE and CS or Math is usually listed as alternatives for those without an EE undergrad.

Wow!! That is amazing!! I only have one book published by Apress but I hope to be like you one day.

When I finish my BA in CS is your company hiring!? Lol

@mnomadic the languages as all semamtics. Do C and one OOP language C++, Java or Python. More advanced course in languages is a Data Structues course which we deparately need!

Heh, I'm a full-time student right now. I'm doing consulting on the side but I'm also a full-time stay-at-home dad for my 3-year-old daughter. Once I finish my academic goals I'll be looking for a regular job again and then, who knows. Smile

If you're interested in EE, there are a lot of great schools but I don't know of any that have distance learning programs. You might need to consider moving to the U.S. if you want to pursue that. If you're passionate about it, you should definitely push for that, IMO.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
I know three I am interested in!

Columbia University has one. I saw on linkedin a TESU CS grad got in to their EE masters.

I saw Purdue has a online mastere in EE, also Penn State and University of Colorado boulder, they also have a MOOC MSEE upcoming on edX.

But Columbia Masters in EE is my target!

At the bachelors ASU also has one thats ABET as well, but cant do the 4 year thing. A masters is 'preferred' now anyway!
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(10-27-2018, 04:40 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: I'm working on my BSBA CIS AOS and my BALS NSM with mainly CS/CIS courses as well.  I have a question - With the new CS/CIS courses from Study & OD.com and the downgrade from SL/Saylor, which courses should I be taking and in what order from easiest to hardest, will there be any overlap so the courses would be easier?

Well, there are only two required courses for the CIS AOS, which are a programming language (any of the programming courses will work for that) and Systems Analysis & Design (UL), which you can take from Study.com.

Beyond those, pretty much any CS/CIS related course that comes into TESU as CAP, CIS, COS, or CMP should work for the AOS electives. The lower-level courses should all be fairly easy to find, and as long as they don't come into TESU as the same course number (or within 1 of the same course number) they should not duplicate. But you only need 6 credits of LL, and 3 of them will be your programming course, so that doesn't leave much room.

The hard part is the 12 credits (4 courses) you need at the 300-400 level. Luckily, there are several choices now. Unfortunately, as far as I know, none of them overlap much, if at all with any other courses. I don't know what you have now, but as far as upper-level courses go, the Study.com courses you should look at are:
  • Systems Analysis & Design (CS 302) - required
  • Database Management (CS 303)
  • Computer Architecture (CS 306)
  • Digital Marketing & Advertising (BUS 309) - not CS but applies to CIS AOS.
Difficulty-wise, it will depend on your current level of knowledge.
  • Systems Analysis & Design isn't too tough but its riddled with content and mechanics errors which makes it hard to get through. The final exam suffers in the same way. The final project is also really confusing. Luckily, it is in review, so hopefully they will make improvements soon.
  • I found database management to be the easiest (but I have a lot of experience in that area). 
  • I haven't taken the Computer Architecture course, but I did look it over and it looks pretty challenging.
  • Digital Marketing & Advertising was okay, but the final project is a pain in the butt. If ACE upgrades the Operating Systems course to UL as expected, then you should take that instead of digital marketing. However, there is no guarantee that will happen.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
@ lewis.yim Merlin is right. Also look at CSU global CBEs.

@lewis.yim The easiest in order seem to be Management Information Systems (Study.com or Ed4Credit), Database Management and System Analysis and Design (Study.com), then look at CSU Global Cloud Computing and finally do Computer Architecture (Study.com) and thats your 15 UL.
That will be your 15 CR UL.

For LL you can do SDC java then Saylor Comouter Science I (major overlap) or Then Sophia IT course and SL IT course (major overlap). Those are all 100 level.

For 200 level look at Saylor Software Engineering after, C++ from Straighterline and finally Operating Sytems or Discrete Math from Study.com.

You have math in the NSM title so I think to resepct mathematics you can do SL Calc I and II. Or if you are bad at math SDC Precalculus (3), Calculus I (6 credits), Geometry (3) and Discrete math (3). And you have 15 UL in math.

That way if you ever have to show your transcripts the 'math' part is justified. Do your UL in CS/CIS courses and your LL in math.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,247 Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 875 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 689 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,337 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,593 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,418 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 735 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,653 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 359 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat