Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com - New quiz grading policy
I thought it might be helpful to make a post about study.com's new quiz grading policy. I noticed some people on here didn't know about it and that could really mess you up! On my account I only got a little notification on the bell thing at the top telling me about it.
Anyway here is the new policy from the site
"Quizzes are worth one third of the total grade for every credit-recommended course (either 50 points out of 150 total points or 100 points out of 300 total points depending on the course).

You will have three opportunities to take each quiz for a score, and only the highest score will count toward your grade. When you’ve completed the course, we’ll calculate the quiz portion of your final grade by averaging your highest scores on the quizzes. You may continue to take each quiz as many times as you’d like, but only the highest of your first three quiz attempts counts toward your final grade.

For instance, if you take a lesson quiz three times and receive scores of 40%, 80%, and 60%, only the 80% score will factor into your final course grade.

You must complete all the required quizzes with a score of 80% or higher on each one to complete the course and access the proctored final exam."

And they said elsewhere on the FAQs that quizzes taken BEFORE they made the change (I believe Jan 9th?) are not affected by the new policy.

I also read on degreeforum that ACE is apparently forcing them into this change.

Anyway if anyone has any comments about this change or suggestions on new strategies/study tips to get high scores in your first three attempts then share them here!
gremlinbrawler Wrote:I also read on degreeforum that ACE is apparently forcing them into this change.

Study.com is fudging this one. This is not how ACE works; Once an institution's course is approved for a certain timeframe, then there is no changes they can require until you're up for renewal again.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:Study.com is fudging this one. This is not how ACE works; Once an institution's course is approved for a certain timeframe, then there is no changes they can require until you're up for renewal again.

I Had this same thought. Don't know how they can say you need to change something in the middle of there courses. However, they are working on getting additional courses approved and ACE may be requiring the change for those. So why would study.com just implement this overall. From a cost point of view its much cheaper to implement it all at once rather then have courses A-V the old style and just W-Z the new way. From a customer point of view we would like to see it the more expensive way. I have 2 courses left that I need to finish by Jan 31st and then I am done with Study.com, just in time too. They started getting way better after I started then they started back downhill recently. I am still waiting on a course from about a week ago, longest I have ever waited for an approval so far.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Your theory makes sense, but it's still a bit of fudging on their part. That might be the requirement for the newer courses they're having reviewed, but they're not being forced to make the changes on the old courses. That's simply a business decision.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

So I am took a boat load of quizzes yesterday, there was at least 1 where I misread the formula and def failed it at least 3 times, but of course I then went on the figure out my mistake and get 100. I under stand that the failing grade for the quiz will be the one averaged in. What does that mean that I now will fail the course since I didn't initially pass it with an 80% or above?
I just want to jump in and apologize for bungling the communication process on the grading policy changes. We should have notified the forum and our users ahead of time and been clearer in our communication. Thank you for your feedback and we will make sure to communicate more clearly and proactively in the future.

I know that the change is a bit confusing, so here is some more information. The policy only affects how your final course grade is calculated. The quiz portion of your grade is now calculated based on your highest score from the first three quiz attempts. This means if you recieve a 60% on a quiz in the first 3 attempts you will get 6/10 of the points that quiz earns you towards you final grade. In addition to this, you still need to score 80% or higher on each quiz to unlock the final exam.

To clarify on the policy for current course takers: any quiz taken on or before January 9 counts as 100% towards your grade. Quizzes taken on January 10 and moving forward are scored under the new grading policy.

Kgaul, your quiz attempts yesterday are counted under the old grading policy so you will get full credit for the quizzes and can also progress.

I apologize again for any confusion caused by this change.
Study.com can you please provide a link to the location on your website which outlines this new policy?
Goal: TESU BSBA - GEN. MGMT.

Straighterline
Intro to Religion 98%
Business Ethics 89%
Business Law 82%
Cultural Anthropology 96%
Environmental Science 92%
Intro to Nutrition 90%

DSST

Business Ethics and Society - 460
Technical writing - 441
Criminal Justice - 458

Coursework: UAA Anchorage GPA 3.66
ENG 109
ENG 111
PSY 150
msllaneous Wrote:Study.com can you please provide a link to the location on your website which outlines this new policy?

It's in the new syllabi (syllabuses?)

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Study.com Wrote:I just want to jump in and apologize for bungling the communication process on the grading policy changes. We should have notified the forum and our users ahead of time and been clearer in our communication. Thank you for your feedback and we will make sure to communicate more clearly and proactively in the future.

I know that the change is a bit confusing, so here is some more information. The policy only affects how your final course grade is calculated. The quiz portion of your grade is now calculated based on your highest score from the first three quiz attempts. This means if you recieve a 60% on a quiz in the first 3 attempts you will get 6/10 of the points that quiz earns you towards you final grade. In addition to this, you still need to score 80% or higher on each quiz to unlock the final exam.

To clarify on the policy for current course takers: any quiz taken on or before January 9 counts as 100% towards your grade. Quizzes taken on January 10 and moving forward are scored under the new grading policy.

Kgaul, your quiz attempts yesterday are counted under the old grading policy so you will get full credit for the quizzes and can also progress.

I apologize again for any confusion caused by this change.

It does list it in the syllabuses. Also is Study.com working on a way to display the overall QUIZ grade prior to taking the final. Before it was very easy to know what was needed on the final to pass the course, now its going to be a guessing game unless we track every single quiz if we don't manage a 100 in the first 3 attempts. So far under the new policy I only missed the full 100 on about 2 or 3 of the 30 or so lessons I did today.

Side question: I received a passing grade for my most recent exam and it shows in my dashboard as pass but no ACE approval yet, is there a delay right now because of the changes?? First time its been this long so a little worried. Waiting on this courses to be added so I can send this transcript into my current school to see if they will take Macroeconomics via ACE credits. Doesn't really matter but I'm curious for future reference. I may end up getting an Associates in something still from that school down the road after completing my TESU degree.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Good thing I like to lurk around the forum. Because I am using the Ipad app for my studying and it didn't have any notification about the unwelcome change.
CLEP - Introduction to Psychology, Introduction Sociology, Human Growth and Development, College Mathematics, Educational Psychology, Humanities
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Introduction to Statistic, TEEX: Cybersecurity for Everyone
Study.com - Intro to World Religion, Western Civilization 1, Western Civilization 2, Abnormal Psychology, Info Sys and Comp Apps, American Gov't, Social Psychology, Personal Finance,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,325 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,483 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,688 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 603 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,814 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 682 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM