Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Principles of Finance question
I've noticed a lot of people have been taking this course lately, likely due to the scholarship, so I'm hoping I can get a solid answer. I am currently going through the quizzes and I am having to do a lot of calculations with the formuals they are giving. The Personal Finance course was similar for the quizzes. My question is if there are a bunch of calculations on the exam? I'm only on Chapter 8 and I have come across a ton of formulas already. I don't know how I'm going to keep them straight if I need to know them all for the exam.
I took this last December. I think I picked up my calculator maybe 3 or 4 times...? It really wasn't "math heavy". However, I did some calculations in my head with the simple math questions. It seems like a majority of the test was the concepts on the course rather than math.

I'll be honest, I dreaded this test with a passion. And I don't consider myself a finance/math guy. But I still passed with a 75. I studied for a solid month, maybe 1 or 2 hours a day before I actually committed to taking the test. This is probably a bit aggressive for most, but I was determined to pass this test. One more tip: 1 hour before the exam, I crammed by reading all of the summaries at the end of each lesson. I'm convinced this helped me get at least 15 more points on the test.

I don't know the most recent rules at study.com...and this may still apply: if you go into the exam with 100s on your quizzes, you can make a 50 or 55 on the exam to pass. This was a huge benefit for me. Hopefully someone will clear this up in this post and correct me if I'm wrong. This is the main reason I took the exam on study.com rather than the DSST exam.

Stay motivated...and good luck!
2017...Finished Bachelor's General Management at TESU. 
I was worried about the final for exactly the same reasons as you. I was pleasantly surprised. While the course is very computation heavy the actual final was more theory related. If you can get through the course successfully you should be fine on the test
Good Luck!
Kgaul Wrote:I was worried about the final for exactly the same reasons as you. I was pleasantly surprised. While the course is very computation heavy the actual final was more theory related. If you can get through the course successfully you should be fine on the test
Good Luck!

This was my experience as well.
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

I had the same experience, in all honesty I don't think I had any of the formulas memorized and I still did pretty well. I may have just done well enough on all the non-math questions to compensate but it really wasn't too bad.
Wondering if TESU accepts Saylors Principle of Finance?
strawberryxfuzz Wrote:Wondering if TESU accepts Saylors Principle of Finance?

BUE-101 : Personal Finance (Free Elective only)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:BUE-101 : Personal Finance (Free Elective only)

Bummer. I failed Study.coms Principle of Finance by a couple points. First exam I've failed out of 6 total I've taken. Was hoping there's another option for it but looks like I'll be retaking it. Sad
Davar Academy has a Finance course. $20 (until March 3rd)

http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...e-now.html

strawberryxfuzz Wrote:Bummer. I failed Study.coms Principle of Finance by a couple points. First exam I've failed out of 6 total I've taken. Was hoping there's another option for it but looks like I'll be retaking it. Sad
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
Thanks everyone. That has eased my mind a bit. I should be taking the final tomorrow night.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,382 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,493 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,779 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 282 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 613 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 328 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Question Promo Codes, SL vs Sophia Breaachh 11 691 02-11-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Breaachh
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,815 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 553 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle