Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com a serious disappointment
strawberryxfuzz Wrote:Also, I got through the ID-ing and area scan with the Proctor software just fine, and I had no indication at all that there was an issue with my webcam (which apparently was facing the wrong direction suddenly?) I've used ProctorU for many, many courses through Saylor and never had an issue. The problem with Study.com's software is (at least for me), it doesn't give you any indication or give you a webcam view so you can ensure it's working. I brought this up to them.

I use a Mac computer and the software does give you the option to have a window open with the webcams view during the test. Not sure how to do it on windows but with the software running you click on the top bar and go to options or whatever its called I will have to look next time I do a test, and it give you the option to open a screen with what the webcam is seeing.

Note : I should add, that I never actually turned the option on so it very well could not work. I will turn it on for my next one should be in the next day or two.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
glad it worked out. Their customer support is pretty solid. They fixed an issue I had and refunded me the difference and it only took one email.
I'm glad this was resolved, although I can't believe it took them this long, as well as not communicating with you when it all happened. Doesn't make them look good.

And I'm glad you posted with the results, it makes them look a little better, but now people know some of the issues to look for when dealing with Study.com.

It's like knowing in advance that TESU is going to be a pain to deal with - at least you know going in that customer service may be a problem.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
congratulations on getting this resolved. Smile
strawberryxfuzz Wrote:Update:

So a rep at Study.com got back to me. They admitted they made a mistake, and apparently they approved my ACE request before reviewing my proctored video. According to the rep, there were issues with my webcam that I was not aware of, which is why they revoked my credits and reset my exams to Retake "at no additional cost to me."

However, that was over a week ago I had gotten the "Retake" status update and I was never notified about there being an issue with my proctored exam, no e-mail, nothing to explain the status on my dashboard which I argued. Also, I got through the ID-ing and area scan with the Proctor software just fine, and I had no indication at all that there was an issue with my webcam (which apparently was facing the wrong direction suddenly?) I've used ProctorU for many, many courses through Saylor and never had an issue. The problem with Study.com's software is (at least for me), it doesn't give you any indication or give you a webcam view so you can ensure it's working. I brought this up to them.

On Study.com's part for this issue, they were very accommodating. The rep spoke with her supervisor regarding my situation - and the lack of communication throughout it beforehand - and she had said that given my situation was indeed bizarre they changed my exams to 'Pass" and granted me back my ACE approval credits for the 3 courses. Super relieved, and super lucky. I'm very happy they were willing to grant them back to me.

Given it happened for all 3, I'm worried going into my next exams with this webcam issue. It's connected to my laptop but again, never had this issue with ProctorU. Guess I'll have to contact the support team next time I open the program to make sure about it.

That's kind of unnerving. Seems worth complaining to ProctorU about. If they can't alert someone to a technical issue, that's a pretty serious flaw with their system (and Study.com is far from the only institution using their services).
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Study.com uses RPNow for proctoring, not ProctorU. The tech support department at RPNow is useless the one time I had to use them. The software crashed mid test and I couldn't relaunch it. Their chat support guy took remote control and repeatedly told me to "navigate to the exam" which of course is not available. No matter how I tried to explain that this was not possible he kept telling me all I had to do was launch the exam. After 35 minutes of that I gave up. ProctorU has their flaws too but both are better than a testing center

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 8 332 04-26-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: louise
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,599 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,667 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 470,396 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 780 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 381 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,066 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,953 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 608 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 324 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue