Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider)
Hmm, interesting!  Study.com is growing faster than I was thinking and in order to accelerate even more, they're buying up companies instead of creating their own divisions and then expanding them.  I guess  that's one way of doing things...

Link: Study.com Acquires College Prep Tutoring Company, Enhanced Prep (prnewswire.com)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-01-2023, 07:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, interesting!  Study.com is growing faster than I was thinking and in order to accelerate even more, they're buying up companies instead of creating their own divisions and then expanding them.  I guess  that's one way of doing things...

Link: Study.com Acquires College Prep Tutoring Company, Enhanced Prep (prnewswire.com)

Study.com has added basically no new courses since 2020. In fact, they let a few courses expire.

Five more courses, including one course that is needed for the SNHU CS degree is set to expire by the end of April
https://support.study.com/support/soluti...ng-courses

They may be growing revenue but losing courses.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • jch
It's great that they are adding things but I think this is why they've lost so many classes in the past year. I think they divide their time on a lot of projects and they're not focusing on college credit. Sophia is focusing on college credit so they keep coming out with new classes. I know someone that applied to Excelsior in October and they denied 5 classes from Study as duplicates. It was ridiculous! Seems safer to take the classes on Sophia now.
Teacher-22 years, College Coach-6 years
Excelsior BSLA-daughter at 16
TESU BALS-son at 20

Study- SAVE 30% code: SMARTER
LawShelf- SAVE $30 BOGO code: SB1D
Coopersmith- Planning & Advising

[-] The following 1 user Likes smarterby1degree's post:
  • LevelUP
Unfortunately, things happen when the focus is divided with several areas, from test prep, to college credit, to K-12, they're trying their hand in too many projects... I didn't think they would let courses go and expire, most likely enrollment of those courses weren't enough to keep them in the roster... At least they keep us updated that they're adding/changing lessons within courses and informing us which will expire, or trying to be more transparent, some companies leave you in the dark and one day, poof they're gone!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle, smarterby1degree
For SDC: if you look at the courses they've dropped, it's ones that were not useful to a degree at the top schools here (TESU & Excelsior). If schools don't accept courses, there's no reason to pay the big bucks to keep them ACE-approved; and if students aren't taking them, same.

Developing courses costs a lot, so I'm not surprised they did a ton of developing, and then are now letting things shake out to see what's working and what isn't. ACE approval is expensive and time-consuming.

As for Sophia, they are adding, but they've also dropped courses; and they changed names to something silly or vice versa. So it SOUNDS like they've been adding like crazy, but I think they've netted out to fewer than you might think. Some of the course names make it difficult to transfer in, because schools don't know what to do with them:
Taking Charge of Your Economic Future (stupid) >> Personal Finance
Accounting >> Financial Accounting (clarified, should have been this all along)
Discover the Writer in You >> Workplace Writing I (still no idea what this is)
The Power of Persuasion >> Workplace Writing II (still no idea what this is)
Communication at Work >> Workplace Communication
Intro to Sociology >> Intro to Sociology: Embracing Diversity & Collaboration (ridiculous)
Intro to Psychology >> Intro to Psychology: Smarter Decisions Through Psychology (ridiculous, fewer schools take this as Psych I now, and it's a very popular requirement for many degrees)
Topics in US History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future (stupid - and already have US History I & II, which are as much as is needed in most cases)

They've also added written assignments to almost all new courses, and to older ones as well.

And STILL no American Government!!! Why?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
"Intro to Sociology >> Intro to Sociology: Embracing Diversity & Collaboration
Intro to Psychology >> Intro to Psychology: Smarter Decisions Through Psychology"

These kind of titles are those that we would use for a seminar or workshop of a few days. We could use a title like that in order to tell people what´s our event about, trying to look more interesting. However, there´s no point in trying to make a gen ed course "appealing", since people have to take them anyway, and what matters is transferability.
[-] The following 2 users Like MrPanda's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 887 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,318 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,586 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,329 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 730 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,085 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,646 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 358 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,030 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,900 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly