Only if I knew ahead of time
26.67%
16 26.67%
Total 60 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com contributing to TESU GPA??
(05-06-2018, 12:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have been a hiring manager, and if a degree is required (usually by someone other than the hiring manager), it's almost always as a check-the-box type of thing (and it's gotten to be more so over the last 10-15 years).  I only care that someone can DO THE JOB, not that they took History 101 while getting the degree.

It's a "check-the-box type of thing" BECAUSE they are able to assume that having a degree means you actually did earn it. If they didn't trust that to be so, then it would become a much more onerous process.

I don't mind people deciding to do "C" work, and accepting the C. I don't even mind pass/no pass grading. We all have to prioritize where we spend our study time. My criticism is with people skipping large parts of the course because they can Google their way through quizzes to get perfect scores on them. They even come on here and BRAG about how fast they can get through a course without really learning anything.

Anyway, I think that having real grades that count can only help.

(05-06-2018, 08:37 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: Anyone who gets a passing grade on the course DID do the work, adequately to be considered legitimate.  There are other things far more likely to "cheapen" a degree, like lax grading in actual classes that leads to average students/work getting A/B grades, and some of the ridiculously junk classes. ...

Sure, there's problems at B&M schools, too, but that seems irrelevant to the conversation.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Sapientes
(05-07-2018, 11:20 AM)davewill Wrote: I don't mind people deciding to do "C" work, and accepting the C. I don't even mind pass/no pass grading. We all have to prioritize where we spend our study time. My criticism is with people skipping large parts of the course because they can Google their way through quizzes to get perfect scores on them. They even come on here and BRAG about how fast they can get through a course without really learning anything.

I agree with that.  Doing "C" work and cheating are two different things and if someone's just Googling for answers, that violates the academic honesty agreements students made, IMO.  (There's a difference between that and effectively searching the actual course material, though.  You might be surprised how much can be learned by effectively searching a textbook for the answers to exam questions.)
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
[-] The following 1 user Likes a2jc4life's post:
  • fork
(05-07-2018, 11:20 AM)davewill Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 12:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have been a hiring manager, and if a degree is required (usually by someone other than the hiring manager), it's almost always as a check-the-box type of thing (and it's gotten to be more so over the last 10-15 years).  I only care that someone can DO THE JOB, not that they took History 101 while getting the degree.

It's a "check-the-box type of thing" BECAUSE they are able to assume that having a degree means you actually did earn it. If they didn't trust that to be so, then it would become a much more onerous process.
No, honestly, it's a check-the-box because it's a good way to weed out an overwhelming number of resumes.  Putting "4-yr degree" as a requirement is an easy way to get out of doing the real work of figuring out (for every single job) what the REAL requirements of the job are.  Many, many times, a 4-yr degree is irrelevant to the job.  I worked in the Silicon Valley in the heyday's of no degree required, and there wasn't a degree you could get that was relevant to many jobs, so they didn't have them.  What changed?  Not the job, and not the relevant work experience.  Just the random "4-yr degree required" that they added at some point along the way.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon
It looks like tesu.edu/studycom has updated to remove the section stating "How will Study.com courses affect my GPA? Coming soon."
[-] The following 1 user Likes etirflita's post:
  • fork

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,313 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,477 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,655 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 277 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 551 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 278 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue