Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com testimonial
Can't say enough good things about Study.com so far.  I started an accelerator membership Friday the 17th.  I've already taken 3 tests.  The remaining courses have assignments so I will slow down a bit.  I will certainly get 4 courses in a month and possibly 5 to max it out (4 or 5 makes it an incredible value and timesaver).  I am starting my TESU capstone next month so I will probably take a month or two off to focus on that then reactivate the membership to finish 1-2 courses and be finished with my degree.
Study.com isn't quite as fast as Sophia since you need to take proctored exams but their proctoring is fantastic especially if you have used ProctorU.  When you are ready you load up the special browser, show your ID, sweep the room then start testing.  No scheduling, waiting, etc.  If you are above average at learning vocabulary or have some background in the subject; you can fly through the modules.  I rarely watch the videos; I skim the text then take the quiz.  If a question is confusing I go back and read more deeply.
I am really happy I found this forum, it saved me a tremendous amount of time and money.  Thank all of you for sharing knowledge.
[-] The following 3 users Like tallpilot's post:
  • CableGuy98, rachel83az, ss20ts
(07-22-2020, 09:27 PM)tallpilot Wrote: Can't say enough good things about Study.com so far.  I started an accelerator membership Friday the 17th.  I've already taken 3 tests.  The remaining courses have assignments so I will slow down a bit.  I will certainly get 4 courses in a month and possibly 5 to max it out (4 or 5 makes it an incredible value and timesaver).  I am starting my TESU capstone next month so I will probably take a month or two off to focus on that then reactivate the membership to finish 1-2 courses and be finished with my degree.
Study.com isn't quite as fast as Sophia since you need to take proctored exams but their proctoring is fantastic especially if you have used ProctorU.  When you are ready you load up the special browser, show your ID, sweep the room then start testing.  No scheduling, waiting, etc.  If you are above average at learning vocabulary or have some background in the subject; you can fly through the modules.  I rarely watch the videos; I skim the text then take the quiz.  If a question is confusing I go back and read more deeply.
I am really happy I found this forum, it saved me a tremendous amount of time and money.  Thank all of you for sharing knowledge.

Glad to hear that.. I've been on the fence about signing up with SDC, but they have so many classes that I need at TESU including a few upper level courses. I'm doing a free class with Sophia right now, but hope to transition to SDC by September.. while they cost more than SL, they just offer more classes!!!  +1 on your comment about this forum.. I just signed up a month ago, but its been a HUGE help to me in finding resources and sharing experiences with others..
The SDC format is amazing. It can be annoying, at times, to have the content broken down into 5 or 10 minute videos, but these smaller chunks also allow for more knowledge checks to ensure that you're actually grasping the material. Although things can hinge heavily on the final exam, it's nice to not have to spend huge chunks of time studying the materials.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • GizmoJack
(07-23-2020, 12:22 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The SDC format is amazing. It can be annoying, at times, to have the content broken down into 5 or 10 minute videos, but these smaller chunks also allow for more knowledge checks to ensure that you're actually grasping the material. Although things can hinge heavily on the final exam, it's nice to not have to spend huge chunks of time studying the materials.

I much prefer a 5-10 minute video though. I tried a class on onlinedegree.com, but the video was 45+ minutes long and boring as hell. The material in the video wasn't what was on the test either. If you're boring, I can handle you for 5-10 minutes. It's much easier to find 5-10-15 minutes to study in a day that 45 minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Muldoon, rachel83az
(07-23-2020, 12:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 12:22 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The SDC format is amazing. It can be annoying, at times, to have the content broken down into 5 or 10 minute videos, but these smaller chunks also allow for more knowledge checks to ensure that you're actually grasping the material. Although things can hinge heavily on the final exam, it's nice to not have to spend huge chunks of time studying the materials.

I much prefer a 5-10 minute video though. I tried a class on onlinedegree.com, but the video was 45+ minutes long and boring as hell. The material in the video wasn't what was on the test either. If you're boring, I can handle you for 5-10 minutes. It's much easier to find 5-10-15 minutes to study in a day that 45 minutes.

I agree the multiple 5-10 minute lessons are a much better fit for me than one long 45-minute read.
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

I like that you can fit a lesson in on-the-go; while waiting in line at the grocery store, at the DMV, waiting for your kid to get out of school or practice, whatever. You can'd do SL or OD on your phone (not well at least). If you have a spare 5-10 minutes available, you can't beat doing a quick lesson on Study.com!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon, ss20ts
I LOVED Study.com, especially because of the quick lessons! I was constantly fitting in quizzes while in line somewhere, or while on a break at work, it was super convenient.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
Anyone figure out an easy way to download the study lessons to practice for the final?

Or must you look through them one by one which when there are like 80+ lessons is a lot and hard to go from section to section quickly?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
You may be able to use a video downloader extension on Firefox to save the SDC videos to your computer and then you can use Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. to load them to whatever device you're wanting to use to review the videos with. FF has a wider array of these kinds of things than Chrome does because Google does not want you to be able to download videos from YouTube and so they restrict extensions that might enable that. There are some extensions that claim to be able to grab any video on a page. I have not tried this yet so I don't know which one(s) work specifically with SDC and which don't.

If you mean the video transcripts, FireShot will let you capture the entire page and save it as a PDF. If you upgrade to Pro, it'll even be a text-searchable PDF so you can easily find the concept(s) you're wanting to review. Pro is absolutely worth the $40 price tag for this purpose.

If you mean the practice exams, I don't currently have the $200 membership so I can't access those.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, ss20ts
(07-25-2020, 06:55 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Anyone figure out an easy way to download the study lessons to practice for the final?

Or must you look through them one by one which when there are like 80+ lessons is a lot and hard to go from section to section quickly?
Everyone studies differently but I would suggest that once you complete the quizzes, if you don't feel ready for the test then take a practice exam. Then you will get a list of lessons based on the questions you missed. Targeted studying should be faster than trying to rewatch the entire course.

I just finished project management. I took the pretest on Thursday (not all courses have one unfortunately) and that cleared about 30% of the quizzes. I had about 20% already cleared from other courses. (That is an unsung benefit of SDC, not only do the exams get cheaper on a unit cost basis if you take over 2 per month, the fact that lessons are recycled in different courses is an 'accelerator' as well.)

So Friday morning I needed to do about 50% of the quizzes and throw together a PowerPoint presentation. I started midmorning and with a few breaks had the quizzes and the presentation done before sunset.

I took the final and did well enough to only need 25 points on the assignment. I did the minimum work following the rubric that I thought would result in a 50. I received over 75, so I found the grading more than fair.

2 days and $70 for an upper division class. That efficiency is unbeatable and I didn't have to leave my house.

If I didn't mention it above I am doing TESU's BS in IT. I already have Gen Ed and MIS mostly from B&M 20 years ago so I'm only doing the technical core meaning the courses are mostly related which increases efficiency.

I also have experience with the subject matter. I suspect someone with no background would not be able to move this quickly. But in those cases I think the advice to use the $60 membership to study 2-3 (more if you can handle it) courses, then switch to the accelerator plan and knock out the exams in quick succession is the most economical path.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,280 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,471 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,610 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 277 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 680 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM