Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com time to complete classes estimate
Hello everyone,

It is taking me between 4 to 7 days to complete a Sophia course on average. The bulk of my remaining classes will be with Study.com. Based on the time it is taking me to complete each Sophia course could I get a couple of estimates on how long it will take me to complete Study.com class on average? Also, how many days did you spend reviewing before taking the final?

I am just looking for your estimates/guesses factoring in how long it might take me to get through a Study.com course based on my time spent completing the Sophia courses.

Thanks.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
I would guess it would be about the same or a little faster. I'm pretty sure I got through all my SDC courses a couple days faster than Sophia.
There were a couple SDC courses I did in a day. The most I did in a month was 5, but one of those months I was also studying for 2 CLEPs.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • AwardTour
(04-07-2019, 03:53 PM)TexasTink Wrote: I would guess it would be about the same or a little faster.  I'm pretty sure I got through all my SDC courses a couple days faster than Sophia.
There were a couple SDC courses I did in a day.  The most I did in a month was 5, but one of those months I was also studying for 2 CLEPs.

I did ask for feedback and you gave it so thank you for that. That being said, you sound really fast so I am not sure that I can relate. I just don't see how SDC could be faster than Sophia given the proctored closed book final SDC exams. That alone will take me extra time to memorize and review for the final. I just wonder how much longer on average? 

Thanks again for your estimate.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
For myself, the Study.com courses ranged in time from 1 day to 1 week. It also depends if the course is UL with assignments or LL with just the quizzes and final exams. If it was just the LL courses and i'm well versed in the subject, it took a day. For the UL ones that I wasn't all that great at, it took me a week. I would try to finish at least 3 to 4 courses/month, I would rate difficulty for it on par with Sophia or StraighterLine courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • AwardTour
I found SDC to be the easiest/quickest. I only did 1 LL course and the rest were UL. I think even with the assignments it took me max 1 week per course.

I mainly used SL before them and wish I had just used SDC. I think I learned more because of watching the videos vs a book and I was able to finish each course much quicker because you can take the exam immediately after finishing the quizzes. No need to schedule a proctor.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 2 users Like zzzz24's post:
  • AwardTour, ISKBizz15
(04-07-2019, 04:19 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(04-07-2019, 03:53 PM)TexasTink Wrote: I would guess it would be about the same or a little faster.  I'm pretty sure I got through all my SDC courses a couple days faster than Sophia.
There were a couple SDC courses I did in a day.  The most I did in a month was 5, but one of those months I was also studying for 2 CLEPs.

I did ask for feedback and you gave it so thank you for that. That being said, you sound really fast so I am not sure that I can relate. I just don't see how SDC could be faster than Sophia given the proctored closed book final SDC exams. That alone will take me extra time to memorize and review for the final. I just wonder how much longer on average? 

Thanks again for your estimate.
I guess it all depends on how you approach the final. After the first couple, I never studied for the final. I felt like it was a waste of time to prepare for that when I could just take the final instead and be done. So I then went straight to the final after finishing all the quizzes. I never had any trouble passing a class and I think I only scored below an 80% once. None of those classes transfer as graded credit for me so I didn’t have to be stickler about the score. I tried to do well, but it’s hard to put in the effort for your best when it doesn’t really matter in the end.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
I've been spending 1-3 hours a day on SDC and finishing each course in about 1-2 weeks. I'm sure I could pass them faster if I spent more time on them.

Keep in mind that the questions in the final exam are similar (and some are even identical) to the quiz questions, so if you do well on the quizzes you probably have a good chance of passing the final. I try to take the final as soon as I finish the course, so it's still fresh in my mind, and then I take the practice final as a review immediately before taking the proctored exam.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
(04-08-2019, 02:58 AM)Muldoon Wrote: I've been spending 1-3 hours a day on SDC and finishing each course in about 1-2 weeks. I'm sure I could pass them faster if I spent more time on them.

Keep in mind that the questions in the final exam are similar (and some are even identical) to the quiz questions, so if you do well on the quizzes you probably have a good chance of passing the final. I try to take the final as soon as I finish the course, so it's still fresh in my mind, and then I take the practice final as a review immediately before taking the proctored exam.

I have completed 5 or 6 various Study.Com courses.  My situation is unique and may not necessarily correlate to the same results for you.

I used SDC primarily for Upper Level classes. Of course, the writing assignments caused me to spend a little bit more time than I would have liked.   I would say that I had completed all of the UL courses in 5 days, conservatively.  I was not a fan of the classes that required three different writing assignments, at around 1500 words each.  I would rather have one big one, with a higher word count.  

I completed the one or two LL classes in under a day, each.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(04-07-2019, 06:09 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I found SDC to be the easiest/quickest. I only did 1 LL course and the rest were UL. I think even with the assignments it took me max 1 week per course.

I mainly used SL before them and wish I had just used SDC. I think I learned more because of watching the videos vs a book and I was able to finish each course much quicker because you can take the exam immediately after finishing the quizzes. No need to schedule a proctor.

So if there is no need to schedule a proctor can you take the final exam at any time during the day or night? It is available 24/7?

Sophia gives you 3 chances per Challenge Question. Many times, it will give you a chance to answer the exact same question again. Is this the same with SDC's Graded Quizzes? Do you get another shot at the exact same question or do you have to answer a new question or maybe even a new set of questions?

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(04-08-2019, 12:30 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(04-07-2019, 06:09 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I found SDC to be the easiest/quickest. I only did 1 LL course and the rest were UL. I think even with the assignments it took me max 1 week per course.

So if there is no need to schedule a proctor can you take the final exam at any time during the day or night? It is available 24/7?

Sophia gives you 3 chances per Challenge Question. Many times, it will give you a chance to answer the exact same question again. Is this the same with SDC's Graded Quizzes? Do you get another shot at the exact same question or do you have to answer a new question or maybe even a new set of questions?

You can take the exam at any hour. As far as the quizzes, they have the exact same set of questions on every attempt you take.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • AwardTour

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,275 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,583 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,061 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 405 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 727 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 357 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,024 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,893 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 579 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 308 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue