Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study vs. Peterson
Hi everyone,

After careful consideration, I'm at a crossroad. I'm torn between using Peterson's and Study. Right now, I'm using Study.com because it's cheaper, but I'm wondering if Peterson will get down to what I actually need to know for the test. Peterson's is spendier, but it might be a sacrifice I have to accept.

For those who've used both, which one helped more?
Are you taking Study courses? What are you doing? Is this for a degree? Which one?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Stacie
(08-19-2022, 05:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Are you taking Study courses? What are you doing? Is this for a degree? Which one?

I'm using Study's test prep for the DSST Art of the Western World. In the future, I'll be taking Math for Liberal Arts and Astronomy.
So, you're preparing for DSST with either of these resources? Are you just using Peterson and Study.com for test prep? If you're using Study.com, I would use them for getting ACE credit and see if these credits can be transferred to your college or university of choice.

They can be used for exam prep as they have courses that are geared for AP, CLEP, DSST, TECEP and so on... but I would use "other" options in addition to the freebies available, such as Khan Academy/Modern States and whatever else is available online or at the local library.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Stacie
(08-19-2022, 08:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, you're preparing for DSST with either of these resources?  Are you just using Peterson and Study.com for test prep? If you're using Study.com, I would use them for getting ACE credit and see if these credits can be transferred to your college or university of choice.  

They can be used for exam prep as they have courses that are geared for AP, CLEP, DSST, TECEP and so on... but I would use "other" options in addition to the freebies available, such as Khan Academy/Modern States and whatever else is available online or at the local library.

As of right now, I'm using Study.com solely for test prep, but I really should see if they have any credits I can transfer to my university.

I had planned to use Modern States as I've heard others talk about it, but they only cover AP and CLEP (unless I'm just missing the DSST section, and even if they do, I don't see anything for art). My local library doesn't have much in the way of books, but I'm going to check my college's library soon.

I never thought of using Khan Academy, but that sounds like a good idea. Thank you!

I'm also considering checking these books out since they were mentioned in the DSST study guide:

Janson’s Basic History of Western Art. Pearson Education, 9th edition.
Gardner’s Art through the Ages: A Global History. Cengage Learning, 15th edition.
Art History. Pearson Education, 6th edition
Have you checked your library's Libby/Overdrive and/or Hoopla accounts? Hoopla should give you free access to (some) Great Courses (Wondrium) and Curiosity Stream. They definitely have videos on Math and Astronomy, though I'm not seeing anything specifically about art history.

I also see "Master the DSST Astronomy Exam" at Hoopla. I'm not sure how much overlap there is with the DSST, but I also see a book & audiobook by Peter Whitfield "The History of Western Art". The audiobook is 5 1/4 hours long. The book is 147 pages.

At Libby/Overdrive, ART 101 by Eric Grzymkowski looks potentially relevant. There are some very short audiobooks by Hugh Griffith that cover various important artists (da Vinci, Monet, Vermeer, etc.).

If you don't have access to Libby/Overdrive and/or Hoopla through your library, there are multiple libraries that will give you access for as little as $30/year.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu, Stacie
So are you going to a more traditional college that doesn't accept ACE credit, but does accept CLEP & DSST? If so, that would be more helpful for us to know. It's much easier to make suggestions when we know the parameters we're working within.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-20-2022, 02:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So are you going to a more traditional college that doesn't accept ACE credit, but does accept CLEP & DSST?  If so, that would be more helpful for us to know.  It's much easier to make suggestions when we know the parameters we're working within.

Yes: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid372985
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
@rachel83az I'll see if my library's Hoopla/ Libby/Overdrive has anything. So far, the study guide doesn't seem to be available, but I'll keep looking.

@dfrecore Yes, they accept CLEP, DSST, AP, and IB, but not ACE credit.

Thank you guys so much. I'll probably keep Study for one more month then cancel. I ordered the Annotated Mona Lisa and will check out some of the other books I mentioned. With the study guides, books, IC flashcards, and Khan Academy, we'll see how well I do. 

Wish me luck.
Hey Stacie,

I really liked the Peterson test prep! the questions tended to be just a tad harder than what you will see on the tests. I also highly recommend instant cert flashcards which will give you access to the feedback section. Give Quizlet a shot too, they have flashcards for most dsst/clep.
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 2 users Like withrown's post:
  • Pikachu, Stacie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using Study.com for TECEP? Kones 7 562 10-03-2023, 06:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Flashcards or Study Aids Never2Late2Educate 2 799 02-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Best Way to Study for FIN-321 Tecep Exam? SamTrulli 1 646 10-20-2022, 12:17 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Using Study for Art of the Western World Stacie 12 1,628 08-17-2022, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Lessons Required to Study for DSST Art of the Western World Stacie 8 1,288 07-22-2022, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Study.com passing scores? Kbass1995 3 2,553 07-16-2022, 10:57 AM
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP: How to Study duranmonique828@gmail.com 17 5,601 06-28-2022, 04:29 PM
  Best site for UExcel study prep & practice tests? Major Penalty 5 1,081 05-16-2022, 04:25 PM
Last Post: dragonwolf
  Are Peterson's Clep tests now subscription only? ACI 1 1,255 02-21-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Study Guide for Instantcert Credit Marketing Course? chasm636 0 1,304 11-19-2020, 08:35 PM
Last Post: chasm636