Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Study for Art of the Western World
Greetings all,

I've spent some time browsing the thread for the DSST's Art of the Western World. Out of all the people who commented, not one of them used Study. They used Annotated Mona Lisa, Annenburg videos, study guides users have uploaded (thanks guys), and some mentioned other books/videos. Not one of them mentioned using Study.com, and I'm starting to question whether I need it or not.

Should I continue using it?
I used a combo of Modern States, Peterson's study guide & practice tests, Quizlet and Instantcert.

Once you can score 70% on the Peterson practice test, you are ready to take the exam and should pass easily.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-15-2022, 04:37 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I used a combo of Modern States, Peterson's study guide & practice tests, Quizlet and Instantcert.

Once you can score 70% on the Peterson practice test, you are ready to take the CLEP and should score at least 60.

That's for the CLEP. This is for a DSST. Are there practice exams for DSSTs? I would assume so, but I don't think there are any like Peterson's study guide for CLEP.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-15-2022, 04:57 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-15-2022, 04:37 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I used a combo of Modern States, Peterson's study guide & practice tests, Quizlet and Instantcert.

Once you can score 70% on the Peterson practice test, you are ready to take the CLEP and should score at least 60.

That's for the CLEP. This is for a DSST. Are there practice exams for DSSTs? I would assume so, but I don't think there are any like Peterson's study guide for CLEP.

Peterson does have a practice test in which usually they have 3. You will need a study guide, preferably under 200 pages. 

Instantcert also covers this DSST.

I would study first, then take a practice test to see where you are at. Then study more, rinse and repeat. 

https://www.petersons.com/testprep/dsst/
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Peterson's is quite pricy to me - $49/mo. I wouldn't do it unless I was taking more than 1 exam. But I also wouldn't pay for Study.com as a test-prep for a DSST exam either. I'd take their courses, or find less expensive methods of learning the material.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Stacie
(08-15-2022, 07:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Peterson's is quite pricy to me - $49/mo.  I wouldn't do it unless I was taking more than 1 exam.  But I also wouldn't pay for Study.com as a test-prep for a DSST exam either.  I'd take their courses, or find less expensive methods of learning the material.

If all you are doing is one test, I would take advantage of the 7-day free trial.

https://www.petersons.com/free-trial
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Stacie
If cost is too much for Petersons........ Using my local library, I have free access to many of Peterson's practice exams for DSST and CLEP . Maybe check library near you for free online resources for test prep?
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(08-16-2022, 07:13 AM)P226mem Wrote: If cost is too much for Petersons........  Using my local library, I have free access to many of Peterson's practice exams for DSST and CLEP .  Maybe check library near you for free online resources for test prep?

It looks like NJ State Library grants access to people with a library card (e.g., as a TESU student) or anyone authenticated by geolocation as being in New Jersey (i.e., your physical IP address or VPN's IP address): https://libguides.njstatelib.org/az.php?a=p
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
@LevelUP, interesting, could you elaborate more on that and put that in the AotWW thread? Knowing what you studied and how it went could help others out. 

@dfrecore, I'm going to take 3 DSSTs (Art, Astronomy, and - ugh - Math for Liberal Arts), so while I might use it for Astronomy and Math, I think I'll check out the other threads and see what everyone else used. If no one used Study, I'll probably cancel my subscription. And yes, almost $50/month is spendy, hence the reason I haven't used them. 

@P226mem, as of right now, it doesn't seem like any of the libraries near me offer much help for the DSSTs. I'll go in person to them soon and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the suggestion!

@carrythenothing, unfortunately, I'm not in New Jersey. Thank you for the tip though!
Math for liberal arts you can use Master the DSST Exams Volume II book which is a bit old though should work.

I trusted Study.com to study for the Network TECEP and once I did the exam I was shocked to see that 50% of the questions weren't covered in the study guide on Study.com. I don't know how accurate those study guides are.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Stacie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using Study.com for TECEP? Kones 7 561 10-03-2023, 06:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Flashcards or Study Aids Never2Late2Educate 2 799 02-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Best Way to Study for FIN-321 Tecep Exam? SamTrulli 1 645 10-20-2022, 12:17 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study vs. Peterson Stacie 10 2,287 08-25-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Lessons Required to Study for DSST Art of the Western World Stacie 8 1,287 07-22-2022, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Study.com passing scores? Kbass1995 3 2,552 07-16-2022, 10:57 AM
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP: How to Study duranmonique828@gmail.com 17 5,591 06-28-2022, 04:29 PM
  Best site for UExcel study prep & practice tests? Major Penalty 5 1,080 05-16-2022, 04:25 PM
Last Post: dragonwolf
  World History from 1600 to Present (HIS-126-TE) TECEP Advice creationstory 1 871 10-26-2021, 03:53 AM
  UExcel World Population Test Review cpoteraske 9 1,953 06-06-2021, 10:26 AM