Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Substance Abuse DSST
Today is January 4th. On the morning of January 12th I'm going to be already be at a community college which happens to be a DSST testing center with an extra two hours to kill. So I figured I would take the Substance Abuse DSST then and there. I just wanted to know if studying for this exam in short time frame is doable before attempting. Any study resources? Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

I have a lots of time this week so I see no problem fitting in time to study. I don't have to take it quickly, I just figured why not get it out of the way and because the timing is so convenient.
Haven't studied for the test, but just want to point out that if you do fail you'll get a free retake because of a promo going on now
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(01-04-2019, 01:17 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Haven't studied for the test, but just want to point out that if you do fail you'll get a free retake because of a promo going on now

Really? Well then I might as well do it.

The last (and so far only) DSST I took involved me signing up at the testing center right before taking the test. As opposed to CLEP where you sign up ahead of time.

Is this process true with all DSST sign up or was it unique to my testing center?
I haven't taken one yet (going to try the Soviet Union one later this month), so can't confirm first hand but I can tell you it's the same at my testing center.

Good luck on the test!
Completed:

Up Next:

(01-04-2019, 01:30 PM)natshar Wrote: Is this process true with all DSST sign up or was it unique to my testing center?

It's true with all DSST exams.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

This is not a testing center thing, but the way things are set up by CLEP and DSST. All CLEP's have to be paid for online, and DSST's don't have that option.

Now, all testing centers aren't the same - mine doesn't just let me show up to test, I have to schedule it in advance (DSST or CLEP), so I would at least call to see what their policies are.

Regarding the test, this is supposed to be one that many people can pass based on general knowledge. The 2017 civilian pass rate was 79%, if that gives you any indication.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-04-2019, 07:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is not a testing center thing, but the way things are set up by CLEP and DSST. All CLEP's have to be paid for online, and DSST's don't have that option.

Now, all testing centers aren't the same - mine doesn't just let me show up to test, I have to schedule it in advance (DSST or CLEP), so I would at least call to see what their policies are.

Regarding the test, this is supposed to be one that many people can pass based on general knowledge. The 2017 civilian pass rate was 79%, if that gives you any indication.

Good to know about the registration. With the high pass rate and the free retake if I need it. I don't have much to lose.

I already know the policy. Yes my testing center allows you to take DSST's basically anytime you just have to call to schedule a day or two in advance.

What's interesting is at this same center CLEPS are only offered once a month on specific dates and you can only take one exam per session.

When I want to take a Clep I just go to a different center 5 minutes away, which allows me to take them whenever I want.
After reading this forum I realized I'm very fournate to have close by testing centers that let me take tests whenever. I thought this was normal, apparently it is not.
@dfrecore, where did you find the civilian pass rate?

I'm going to be taking Soviet Union DSST later this month and since the test center is about an hour away I'm thinking about doing the MIS test at the same time, but I'd be taking it pretty close to cold. Wondering if you guys think that one is passable cold if you have good knowledge of computers and are a good test taker? I got a 74 on the InfoSystems CLEP completely cold if that's any indication.
Completed:

Up Next:

I just used the instantcert cards and it wasn’t too difficult. Took like 3 days of study
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • natshar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,463 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,180 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,113 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,706 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  substance abuse prevention/case management course recommendations? Whitepines 7 1,380 01-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking MrsIrie 12 2,891 09-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Last Post: momofminis
  DSST World Religion Exam HELP hjborn@yahoo.com 4 1,348 06-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: hjborn@yahoo.com
  Score of 300 dsst natshar 5 1,559 03-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST Biz Ethics UL vs SL Biz Ethics LL? etc. SCYankee 8 1,527 02-27-2020, 04:06 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Sophia/CLEP/DSST Info Tech exams = all same? SCYankee 2 1,386 02-22-2020, 05:36 PM
Last Post: SCYankee