Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Substitute Teaching?
Hey All,

I'm waiting on those final credits to transfer, and my plan was to just study a couple months and pass a few tests for my teachers certification. However the cost is astronomical to what I thought it would be. 4k$ on average is what I was discovering after a little research.
Unfortunately, I had not reckoned on that, so I started looking at all my options. My dream isn't to be a teacher actually that was my backup plan, so I was hoping to just sort-of get the certification in tow.
Anyway, I'm looking into substitute teaching to earn extra income in addition to my somewhat irregular income, and put it towards the certification.
Does anyone have experience with substitute teaching? Particularly, in smaller, (population-wise) schools?
One of my TESC professors said substitutes usually get the worst experiences and he encouraged me to go on and get a masters, either way I'll need to save up.

Any thoughts?
"Those who expect to be ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson

Graduated, Finished, Completed!! my B.A. in History from TESC!!!!! Technically February 2013 & Generally May 2013!!!
In most of Canada, the situation is bleak for teachers. The market is saturated with teachers, so much so that many teachers can't find full time work until 5 years after graduation! I guess this isn't the case in America, however.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Well, at least I know not to go to Canada. Bumster, they must give degrees away for free up there.
Thank you for your comment.
"Those who expect to be ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson

Graduated, Finished, Completed!! my B.A. in History from TESC!!!!! Technically February 2013 & Generally May 2013!!!
It all depends on what state you are in.

In NJ I was a substitute teacher and I loved it. The pay stinks but the hours and flexability were great.

In NY it is very difficult to qualify as a substitute and I am still working on it.

I know a little about a lot of other states, so let me know where you are and I can maybe be more helpfil.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
In Texas, it's fairly easy to get into substitute teaching. The public schools normally require a bachelors degree. I've seen some private and charter schools that require certification on top of a bachelors. The private schools tend to pay less. Your experience will depend on the school and the district. There are schools in my city where I would never substitute. You're on call and can decline when you want. I don't know how much substitutes struggle with getting called up.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The market is saturated in canada for two reasons, if you're curious. First, the benefits of being a teacher are quite good in canada, generally much better than in the states. Many experienced teachers can make 80K after several pay scale bumps. You also have a fairly short day, government pension, and other benefits (summers off and paid?). The baby boomer generation was getting old and people encouraged tons of citizens to study teaching, but most of them haven't retired, mainly because of the financial struggles of the last 5 or so years. So, you've got this army of teachers begging for work, it's sad.

I think unless this is a very short term venture, certification will pay dividends. It's better to invest now and put yourself on that better career path, isn't it? However, you mentioned teaching isn't your primary goal. I guess if it becomes something long term you should pursue certification; the difference between teaching jobs can be huge.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Thank you all for your responses! Smile

@Linda: I have already done some research on my state's teacher requirements for substitutes etc., and
that was helpful despite the disheartening costs.
That's great that you had a good experience. My main questions/concerns revolved around the experience:
dealing with the students, student respect for the teacher, the accessibility of the curriculum for the teacher, was it easy to relay the lesson to the students, what teaching methods work the best for the students? etc.

@Sanantone: Helpful mention of private schools, I suspect that is correct.

@OE800_85: Thank you for explaining Canada's teacher scenario. That was very interesting, and sad.
I agree that certification is best if one can get it. That is my plan eventually, however, I don't believe in
getting in debt over education, so I'll be waiting till I can afford it.
Additionally, teaching isn't my dream job; although I would enjoy it. Smile

If anyone else has any descriptions of their experiences with teaching, I'd love to hear them!
- Thomas Jefferson

quasarvs Wrote:@Sanantone: Helpful mention of private schools, I suspect that is correct.

Funny you say that because I think I misstated something. LOL. It's been awhile since I've looked at substitute teaching openings. The last time I looked, Texas public schools usually require 48-60 credit hours or an associates degree at minimum. Those with a bachelors degree and/or teacher certification can get paid more. Not all private and charter schools require certification. It's not uncommon for private schools to not require certification for full-time positions. But for the substitute teaching jobs that I've seen that require certification, they are usually at private or charter schools. Public schools tend to only require certification for long-term substituting (10+ days straight of substituting for the same class).
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
In NJ only 60 college credits were needed to apply to be a substitute teacher. Once that was met there were a few other requirements depending on county.

Substitute teaching can be frustrating and thankless job or a wonderful fulfilling job depending on many factors.

1) What grades do you plan on teaching? Younger grades are usually good and cooperate with substitutes, by the time you get to middle school age they can be less cooperative and can be downright mean and disrespectful. I would never even consider subbing in a high school I find that age just has too much attitude for me.

2) How much support do you get from other staff and administrators? If the other staff and adults in the school treat you with respect and show they expect the students to do the same you will do fine. If other teachers and staff treat you as an outcast and an underling the students will treat you the same and you will have a hard time controlling them.

3.) Do the teachers leave a lesson plan? A real lesson plan with learning objectives and details on how to meet those objectives(another teacher or aid who can explain things helps) makes your job a little harder but more worth it in my opinion. If a teacher just leaves work sheets or book assignments for the children to do while you babysit, it might make your job easier but I find it boring and more difficult to handle disruption in those classes.

4.) Do you know the subject you are teaching? I have been asked to teach everything from preschool special ed to 8th grade algebra. I have taught Art( I can't even draw a good stick figure), Music ( I can't even read music), Gym( I refuse to teach this any more I am too old to keep up) and Spanish( I haven't used my high school spanish in over 30 years). I was able to do this in most instances because I knew the teachers and that they would leave lesson plans even I could follow. I would not teach these subjects if I thought I would be useless in the class. In some school systems you are hired just to sub in 1-3 subjects, in other districts you can be asked to teach anything but you have the right to refuse any offer(if you refuse too many you will no longer be called).

5) Do you want to teach or just babysit? If you just want to get low pay for not much work find a school where they only leave busy work or reading when subs are there. I have heard many high schools are this way, they don't believe subs are smart enough to really teach, and if the sub proves that untrue they fear the sub might get their job so they ask to have a different sub in the future.

I subbed for 4 school years at 4 different schools, I have subbed as short as 1/2 day and as long as 3 months for the same class. I love the work and I love the students, after a year away from subbing I am finally ready to bite the bullet and start the long process toward substitute teaching in NY.

I hope this answers your questions but feel free to post or PM me with any others. I might take a couple of days to get back but I always seem to be drawn back to this site.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA Teacher Battling Cancer Forced to Pay for Substitute sanantone 4 1,090 05-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Ever thought about teaching overseas? What i've learned. OE800_85 3 1,292 03-06-2019, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  VIPKids (teaching ESL to kids in China via the internet) -- scam or legit? dmjacobsen 10 4,139 06-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need a job teaching? creationstory 0 739 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Last Post: creationstory