Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TECEP / TESC tests + courses while living in China....?
I took an SL final while on holiday in Bali. The internet was terrible, but it was enough for ProctorU to work.
Take self-paced courses like Straighterline, Sophia, and Saylor. Some (not all) Penn Foster courses are available international, but not all of them are worth ACE credits so you need to double check first.
I think Straigterline is one of the easiest and cheapest options.
If you know someone in a school or a library, Saylor will allow them to be a proctor for you.

which degree are you going for? because some degrees are easier than others to find courses for.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
you should also consider study.com It's a self-enclosed class, meaning everything you need is inside the content. I don't know if it's streaming video or downloads for that part, but the books are electronic and you take unproctored quizzes as you go, only to finish off with a proctored exam via webcam. These all transfer to TESC and COSC.
Cost is $199/month for up to 2 exams (courses) but there's a code you can use to get a big discount https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/study.com/?c=1
socsci Wrote:I took an SL final while on holiday in Bali. The internet was terrible, but it was enough for ProctorU to work.
Take self-paced courses like Straighterline, Sophia, and Saylor. Some (not all) Penn Foster courses are available international, but not all of them are worth ACE credits so you need to double check first.
I think Straigterline is one of the easiest and cheapest options.
If you know someone in a school or a library, Saylor will allow them to be a proctor for you.

which degree are you going for? because some degrees are easier than others to find courses for.

-----

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

I am going for the degree that is easiest, and which takes the most credits from my Associate's in IT. I don't know if it's pieced out course by course yet, but my transcripts have al been sent to both TESC and COSC.

I hate to say it, but this is just a piece of paper for me to avoid glass ceilings for teaching english.

I think I will go for COSC as the semester fee is much lower.

I believe a BA in General Studies / Business Admin / Liberal Arts or a BS in Psychology would be good. Whatever is easiest for me.
TESC doesn't cost anything to enroll, so that's cheaper than COSC!

If you put your course info on here, we can help. Put the course number, the course name, the number of credits, and where you took it (if it's a cc, that will make a difference from a 4-yr college).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:TESC doesn't cost anything to enroll, so that's cheaper than COSC!

If you put your course info on here, we can help. Put the course number, the course name, the number of credits, and where you took it (if it's a cc, that will make a difference from a 4-yr college).

I got accepted to both today. Big Grin

My courses were at a "technical college" in Wisconsin. It was a pretty good school though. It's a computer degree. Some Gen Ed's will likely be taken care of, but with so many computer classes, I'm wondering if I should lean toward a major of that. Not sure if transcript reviews are looked at class my class or if it's a solid credit dump.

I suppose I can save you all the time and wait to see what my transcript review comes out as.

Will update as soon as I hear back! They say 10-15 days... :X
It's class-by-class.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You should go to ProctorU and test out your connection.

This link will test your computer
ProctorU - Test It Out

and this one will test your speed:
ProctorU Speed Test

Hopefully you can find a location with a good enough connection. Perhaps a local university?

Many of the TESC textbooks were slightly older editions which made them really cheap used (doesn't help with shipping, though). They were also mostly available as ebooks (and some were just lying around the internet as PDFs...). The only downside of using an ebook is that many of the exams were open book, but only if you had the actual book. An ebook couldn't be used during the test.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:You should go to ProctorU and test out your connection.

This link will test your computer
ProctorU - Test It Out

and this one will test your speed:
ProctorU Speed Test

Hopefully you can find a location with a good enough connection. Perhaps a local university?

Many of the TESC textbooks were slightly older editions which made them really cheap used (doesn't help with shipping, though). They were also mostly available as ebooks (and some were just lying around the internet as PDFs...). The only downside of using an ebook is that many of the exams were open book, but only if you had the actual book. An ebook couldn't be used during the test.

Great. Thanks. The speed tests are not looking good - BUT - I can try again tonight. It fluctuates greatly, maybe since I am 12 hours different I'd have to do it then anyways, late at night.

Or, I could just take the normal courses I need and save all my testing out for one chunk after my first year in China is through.

Still waiting on the transcript reviews. Charter Oak's customer service is great so far. TESC is quicker with things. Got my financial aid award. $2,888 pell grant, $3500 subsudized, $4930 unsubsidized. Not accepting until I get all transcript reviews. :ack:Confusedeeya:
Speed tests still junk at night. It...doesn't even work? (Just hangs?) That's not good news.

Still waiting on transcripts. Financial Aid approved for both.

:toetap:
John Yingling Wrote:Or, I could just take the normal courses I need and save all my testing out for one chunk after my first year in China is through.
Unfortunately, the TESC courses mostly have proctored finals. Your only other choice is taking tests on paper with a local proctor.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,467 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,097 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,086 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,797 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,028 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,193 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,841 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,739 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep jawbreakingrr 57 17,813 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,235 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute