Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TECEP Term - How does it work?
Hey, guys!  I need to register for my first TECEP before my 6-month window closes.  I have the option of registering for the January term, but I'm not sure what that means.  Does it mean I'll have to take the test in January?  

Thanks for the information!
It means you have to take it during the January term, which runs through March 25. See the link below for registration and term dates:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/Undergrad-Calendar.cfm
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Silly_Me
(12-11-2017, 01:32 PM)davewill Wrote: It means you have to take it during the January term, which runs through March 25. See the link below for registration and term dates:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/Undergrad-Calendar.cfm

Ah!  That makes sense.  Thanks so much!  Smile
6 month window from when you applied?
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(12-11-2017, 02:32 PM)originalamyj Wrote: 6 month window from when you applied?

Yes!  :Smile I was approved for admission on September 6, so I'm assuming I've got until March 6 to "enroll."
YIKES! I was accepted in July. Time has just flown by I guess. I just registered for a TECEP for the Jan term. Thanks for the reminder!
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
You actually get 12 months to enroll before having to reapply, so don't stress out! There was a period where the common wisdom here was saying 6 months, but we got that straightened out.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • originalamyj
(12-11-2017, 05:14 PM)davewill Wrote: You actually get 12 months to enroll before having to reapply, so don't stress out! There was a period where the common wisdom here was saying 6 months, but we got that straightened out.

Wait... Really?  So, if I apply for "graduation" for my associate's degree next September, then I don't actually have to take a TECEP at all....?  This is news to me!  (Good news, that is.)

Now, what if I'm planning on getting my bachelor's the following Spring? Should I still take the TECEP, or is the "graduation" w/ an associate's degree enough to keep me "enrolled" long enough to pursue the bachelor's degree?

Thanks for clearing everything up! (You guys should work for the advising department!!! I ask them these questions, and I get 10 different answers. Ugh.)
(12-11-2017, 05:30 PM)Silly_Me Wrote: Wait... Really?  So, if I apply for "graduation" for my associate's degree next September, then I don't actually have to take a TECEP at all....?  This is news to me!  (Good news, that is.)  

Now, what if I'm planning on getting my bachelor's the following Spring?  Should I still take the TECEP, or is the "graduation" w/ an associate's degree enough to keep me "enrolled" long enough to pursue the bachelor's degree?  

Thanks for clearing everything up!  (You guys should work for the advising department!!!  I ask them these questions, and I get 10 different answers.  Ugh.)

I don't think that you're automatically enrolled after you get your AA.  You need to be enrolled towards a BA, and have taken a course or TECEP exam within a year to stay enrolled.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Silly_Me
I'm going through a similar situation Silly_Me.
Applied in July too.

(Background: I need to get the AA by June 2018 (sooner is better). Finally finished all the requirements in November. Plan to finish BALS during the summer of 2018.)

The following is not specifically related to your case, but I thought it might provide some handy reference for others earning an AA/BALS in the near future. Here is what has transpired for me:

- Found out their system is set up only to allow ONLINE "application for graduation" from enrolled students.

- In order to even apply for graduation (and pay graduation fee), I needed to pay residency waiver fee first. And I couldn't pay the residency waiver fee unless I'm enrolled.

- Bursar needed to manually add the Residency Waiver Fee to my account. Paid it. One-year clock ticking down.

- Contacted registrar department and they verified Residency Waiver payment.

- Because I wasn't enrolled, I needed a "paper application for graduation" which needed to be sent back with check for graduation fee before January graduation application deadline.
**** OR *****
Registrar office said I could enroll for January (was planning to take MAT-105 TECEP eventually) and avoid the paper application for graduation. Since enrollment isn't official until 10 days after the beginning of term, I needed to apply for JUNE graduation, contact them again, and then they would manually switch the graduation application to MARCH.

Other bonus information:
- Got confirmation from registrar and bursar's office about one-year window for Residency Waiver Fee
- If you apply for AA and BALS in same graduation cycle, you only need to pay one graduation fee. I'll be paying it twice because of my AA time constraint.
- And I had a bugger of a time trying to pay for the TECEP. That's another story/helpdesk ticket. They don't make it really obvious -- or maybe bc I'm not an enrolled student it was difficult to find.
- I thought I read rumors here about TESU pricing might go up after June. So the other goal is to register for Capstone by June Term (so, sometime in May?)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,753 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 1,996 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,175 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,808 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep jawbreakingrr 57 17,549 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,902 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Suggested TECEP's? High Pass Rate? omuneek 2 1,718 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Failed Advertising TECEP nerd 12 3,201 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: nerd
  Error after submitting TECEP test nerd 4 1,872 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,524 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew