Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC: Academic Eval.
Now I am completely confused at what direction in the BA in Liberal Studies. Where I get lost is in the bold red area down below. The upper portion I think I have figured out. While I do gain 10 additional credits per my academic eval - I am not sure if this is the best route even if for a faster degree. With the BSBA in Gen. Mgmt I had a game plan. Some please help fill in the blanks. :ack:

Subject Category Credits
I. General Education Requirements - 60 credits

A. English Composition - 6 credits
English Composition w/ Essay - CLEP [the new CLEP is called College Composition] (6)

B. Humanities - 12 credits
Managerial Business Communications - TESC guided study course (3) (May replace with SL)
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature - CLEP (6)
Humanities - CLEP (3) [partial credit]

C. Social Sciences - 12 credits
Macroeconomics - CLEP (3)
Microeconomics - CLEP (3)
Introductory Sociology - CLEP (3)

D. Natural Sciences & Mathematics - 12 credits
Intro to Computing - DSST (3)
Precalculus - CLEP (3)
Principles of Statistics - DSST (3)
and ??? (3)

E. General Education Electives - 18 credits
College Mathematics - CLEP (6)
Humanities - CLEP (3) [partial credit]
Natural Sciences - CLEP (3) [partial credit]
Social Sciences & History - CLEP (6)

II. Area of Study: Liberal Studies 33
A. REQUIREMENTS
1. Students complete 33 credits in the liberal studies concentration

2. At least two or more different subjects must be included to provide breadth of knowledge in the liberal studies concentration.

3. Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State College are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A maximum of two college-level courses equating to the 100 level can be applied toward the liberal studies area of study. A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 Thomas Edison State College are required.

4. LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone strongly recommended.

EXAMPLE I: 33
■Humanities
(12)
■Social Sciences
(3)
■Natural Sciences
(6)
■Mathematics
(12)
EXAMPLE II: 33
■Social Sciences
(18)
■Natural Sciences
(9)
■Humanities
(6)
EXAMPLE III: 33
■Humanities
(27)
■Social Sciences
(6)
III. Free Electives 27
Total 120
[SIZE="2"]Started 3/11/2011 with 12 credits in hand, now have 18! Only 102 to go![/SIZE]
-----------------------------
[SIZE="1"]Going for BSBA - TESC
DSST:
Principles of Supervision - 413
Intro to Computing -443[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]My Road Map & Progress[/SIZE]
Quote:While I do gain 10 additional credits per my academic eval - I am not sure if this is the best route even if for a faster degree. With the BSBA in Gen. Mgmt I had a game plan. Some please help fill in the blanks.

At the end of the day, you are going to put in some hard work regardless of which degree you pursue....therefore make it count and try to get the biggest bang for the buck. You may decide to go the BSBA route. There are others that go for the Liberal Studies degree then go for an MBA. There are many ways to achieve your goals.

The business degrees are practical for many people. They are not easy....but they are doable. You may want to look at the recent post by Levi http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesc.html
which shows the exams and courses he took to cover the major.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Okay this is gonna totally be based on taking courses from tesc just to give you an idea of what you can take to fill the major concentration part. You can take any courses that fall under the humanities section for humanities and any courses that fall under the natural sciences section for the natural science requirement.

You can find the courses under each section (semester based) here: Thomas Edison State College/ Semester List

1. Students complete 33 credits in the liberal studies concentration

2. At least two or more different subjects must be included to provide breadth of knowledge in the liberal studies concentration.

3. Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State College are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A maximum of two college-level courses equating to the 100 level can be applied toward the liberal studies area of study. A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 Thomas Edison State College are required.

4. LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone strongly recommended.

EXAMPLE I: 33
■Humanities (12) ( okay here you could take lower level classes but taking upper level courses found in the humanities section found at the link above would allow you to complete 12/18 upper level requirement for the concentration. It is however your choice and you could use all 100-200 level courses to complete this requirement)
Interviewing (COM-402)
One Writer’s Vision: Jane Austen (ENG-393)
Advanced American Literature II (LIT-302)
Ethics and the Business Professional (PHI-384)

■Social Sciences(3)
Introduction to Psychology (PSY-101)

■Natural Sciences(6)( okay here you would have to complete the remaining upper level courses (6 credits).
Operating Systems (COS-352)
Artificial Intelligence (COS-451)

■Mathematics (12)
Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics (MAT-105)
Intermediate Algebra (MAT-115)
Quantitative Business Analysis (MAT-119)
College Algebra (MAT-121)

EXAMPLE II: 33
■Social Sciences (18)-(By choosing 6 upper level credits in this area you have completed the requirement and can complete all lower level credits in the areas below)
Abnormal Psychology (PSY-350)
Psychology of Personality (PSY-352)
Organizational Theory (PSY-360)
Industrial Psychology (PSY-363)
Introduction to Social Psychology (PSY-370)
Social Psychology (PSY-379)

■Natural Sciences (9)
Introductory Biology (BIO-101)
General Chemistry I (CHE-111)
General Earth Science (EAS-101)

■Humanities (6)
A World of Art (ART-100)
Public Speaking (COM-209)

EXAMPLE III: 33
■Humanities(27)- you would complete 18 upper level courses 300 to 400 and the other 9 credits can be lower level 100 and 200.
Interpersonal Communication (COM-330)
Elements of Intercultural Communication (COM-335)
Interviewing (COM-402)
Advanced American Literature I (LIT-301)
Advanced American Literature II (LIT-302)
African Encounters (LIT-331)
History of Western Art I (ART-166)
History of Western Art II (ART-167)
Two-Dimensional Design (ART-221)

■Social Sciences(6) these courses can be lower level since you met the requirement above in example number 3.
Living in the Information Age (SOS-110)
Self Assessment and Career Exploration (SOS-150)

I hope this helps Smile
me:
ASBA-TESC-9/2011
BSBA-TESC-6/2012
Awards: Arnold Fletcher Award
MBA-CSU- 5/2014
DBA- undecided

hubby:
A.A.S-TESC-6/2012
BS in Interdisciplinary Studies-Starting Soon
Also remember that you only have to pick two areas for your concentration, so if you wanted to complete social science and mathematics you could do that or if you want to complete humanities and natural sciences you could do that too. You would take 15 credits in one area and 18 in the other to make the 33 credits for the core concentration of the degree plan. But alteast 18 credits must be upper level credits.
me:
ASBA-TESC-9/2011
BSBA-TESC-6/2012
Awards: Arnold Fletcher Award
MBA-CSU- 5/2014
DBA- undecided

hubby:
A.A.S-TESC-6/2012
BS in Interdisciplinary Studies-Starting Soon
For now concentrate on the items that work for BALS and BSBA. I have to agree that a BALS may not be as useful as a BSBA or a BA in math or history or something specific.

Business degrees sound very general and not useful at first but once you realize that everyone and their brother wants an MBA after being in the industry for 10-15 years, you will learn to value the BSBA since it is basically an MBA at the undergrad level.

My two cents.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Geezer Wrote:At the end of the day, you are going to put in some hard work regardless of which degree you pursue....therefore make it count and try to get the biggest bang for the buck. You may decide to go the BSBA route. There are others that go for the Liberal Studies degree then go for an MBA. There are many ways to achieve your goals.

The business degrees are practical for many people. They are not easy....but they are doable. You may want to look at the recent post by Levi http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesc.html
which shows the exams and courses he took to cover the major.

Geezer, I agree, either way it is not a simple task, but I willcontinue my current path for a BSBA, simply becasue of my current position and future growth with possibility of a MBA or MA.
[SIZE="2"]Started 3/11/2011 with 12 credits in hand, now have 18! Only 102 to go![/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Going for BSBA - TESC
DSST:
Principles of Supervision - 413
Intro to Computing -443[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]My Road Map & Progress[/SIZE]
The good news for you is that the path is well documented and there are plenty of alternatives for each course. Personally I used IC throughout and found it to be very helpful with the business courses. I also used this website for review NetMBA Business Knowledge Center

You will need to become proficient at testing.....meaning that if you put it the time, and start to study and test regularly, you will start to get a feel for the exams and how much/little is required to pass. The Specific Feedback section is essential. I would also go out and purchase the latest CLEP Guide (around $20-$30) which contains all of the practice exams for all of the CLEP tests.
Start with the easier exams Intro to Mgmt, Intro to Marketing, and work your way up.

Good luck! Keep asking questions.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,675 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  General question about TESU academic evaluation fork 3 1,313 03-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  TESU Academic Eval (Questions - Help Please) Gloddy 6 2,101 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Is TESU's academic evaluation less accurate for out-of-major calculations? Pelican 4 1,237 03-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Help with Excelsior eval Iamtehking 5 1,445 03-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,459 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,207 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,997 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,374 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,782 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138