Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Capstone prep work?
Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I am starting the capstone class March 3rd. I have about 2 weeks before I start. Like most people I am scared about the class. I have a few questions.
What can I do in the mean time? I have been trying to come up with topics, but I'm afraid to start research for fear the professor will not like my topic.
I haven't written a paper in many years, I wouldn't know how to start.
Being 2 weeks out, can I request a professor now or do I have to wait?
Is it hard to research while working a full-time job?

Any help anybody could give would be very helpful
You can't really "request" a professor, you need to sign-up for a capstone course and choose which professor you want to take the course with.

Come up with a few different topics and make sure they interest you. Personally, I'm finding this course boring and tedious, if the topic interests you it will help with the boredom. And having a few different topics will help in case your first idea gets shot down by your mentor.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
ironheadjack Wrote:You can't really "request" a professor, you need to sign-up for a capstone course and choose which professor you want to take the course with.
Yeah, and get on ratemyprofessor.com and find out who the best options are, and snag them before their classes fill up! (I speak from experience Rolleyes)

Quote:Come up with a few different topics and make sure they interest you....And having a few different topics will help in case your first idea gets shot down by your mentor.
:iagree:
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Hey guys thanks for your help. sorry it toke so long to respond, I had a lite case of the stomach flu last night. Stomach flu is the worst!! Should I start researching my topics now or wait? Also, is it 3 sub-questions for your topic?

Thanks.
Your paper has to answer 1 main question(your topic) and to help answer that, you develop 3 sub-questions.

What I did for research was develop my topic and gathered some online research and saved the websites in my favorites. On the first day of the course I got my topic "approved" by the mentor and started researching books to get from the library.

Also this link might be helpful to you...
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Hl0w2f...edit?pli=1
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
It's 1 main question and generally 3 or 4 (or as one of my classmates did, 5) subquestions.
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I have three possible topics, but I'm afraid to start researching in case it gets shot down. When writing the paper is mostly what you find or your own words? Is it tough to do or just time consuming?
OK, so here's my capstone rant.

I was studying math throughout my time with TESC, so I'm not sure how it is with different programs. I became extremely lax on due dates. Professors didn't mind if a submission was late, as long as you did the assignment and did it well. However, in the capstone I was just a few days late for the first discussion forum and got a grade of zero. I also got late points taken away for assignment. So, this was a bit of a shock to me, and after the first module I adjusted. I originally thought due dates were merely recommendations, to help students stay on pace. It was a semi-rude awakening
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Nevados37 Wrote:I have three possible topics, but I'm afraid to start researching in case it gets shot down. When writing the paper is mostly what you find or your own words? Is it tough to do or just time consuming?
I read—and I think this was just about 1 of the chapters, not the whole Capstone, but still—that it should be no more than 10% direct quotes. That's pretty much what I tried to hold to for the whole thing. I did paraphrase and cite quite a bit, but tried not to put in too many direct quotes.

Chapter 2, and maybe Chapter 4, is where you do a lot of research. Those are the most time consuming chapters. The other chapters are summarizing/repeating. But those can be time consuming too, as you try to figure out a way to not sound super repetitive Rolleyes
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Westerner Wrote:..... as you try to figure out a way to not sound super repetitive Rolleyes

Impossible!!!
Arnold Fletcher Award

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,023 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,206 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,679 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,655 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,903 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,772 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,495 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,779 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,597 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill