Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Maximum ACE credit
I just learned that at TESC "the maximum credit award for ACE recommended credit is 90 credits for the baccalaureate degree". Please tell me that this does not include CLEP and DSST even though they are ACE reviewed. I'm hoping this only referrs to anything coming in on an ACE transcript. Does anyone know about this? I did search but could not find anything referring to this particular issue.

Thanks!

Danielle
a4tunatemom Wrote:I just learned that at TESC "the maximum credit award for ACE recommended credit is 90 credits for the baccalaureate degree". Please tell me that this does not include CLEP and DSST even though they are ACE reviewed. I'm hoping this only referrs to anything coming in on an ACE transcript. Does anyone know about this? I did search but could not find anything referring to this particular issue.

Thanks!

Danielle
>>

It wouldn't be CLEP, but this would include ALEKS.
I asked the Admissions office about this subject for THESE TWO: Emergency Disaster Mgmt and the new Homeland Security degree that my wife is interested in. Here are the replies- **** I would say this still needs some clarification, ask your adviser*****

"Greg,
After checking with the assistant dean on this degree, there is NO limit on ACE or TESC evaluated FEMA courses in the BS.HSEP degree; they can be used as free electives. I hope this information helps and please let me know if you need any additional assistance in moving forward with this degree. Thank you.
Best regards,Caroline"

"Greg,
... For the EMS area of study, she would need to apply and submit a completed Practicum Review form. Please visit https://ssl.tesc.edu/practicum.php to submit this form online. The Practicum Review form, official job description and current resume are required of students applying to Human Services degree programs. The practicum work experience must be approved for students to pursue a Human Services degree program...... (ASPSS) and the Bachelor of Science in Human Services (BSHS) degrees were designed for students who have at least one year of current work experience (paid or volunteer) in the selected area of study at the time they apply to the College. Appropriate work experiences are required in order to complete the practicum requirements and the degree.The College will accept up to 25 FEMA credits and up to 90 credits of CLEP, DANTES or other tests.

I hope this information helps and please do not hesitate to contact me regarding additional information or assistance. Thank you.
Best regards,Caroline"
This quote makes me very nervous!

"The College will accept up to 25 FEMA credits and up to 90 credits of CLEP, DANTES or other tests."

My daughter has 25 FEMA credits, 63 CLEP and DANTES credits, and 29 credits on an ACE transcript(Aleks,Penn Foster, NFA). If they count the FEMA's seperately, that is still 92 credits. This is very upsetting and confusing to me. She was supposed to start her last class, an online course with TESC, April 1. Now I'm afraid she is going to have to take another class with them or another RA college or she won't be able to graduate on time.

I thought some people had completely tested out of Liberal Arts or Social Science degrees at TESC. How could they do that if you can only have 90 hours of CLEP and DANTES? Does anyone know if this is a new policy?

Danielle
The first quote says:
"After checking with the assistant dean on this degree, there is NO limit on ACE or TESC evaluated FEMA courses in the BS.HSEP degree; they can be used as free electives."

Every degree has different requirements, just as these two differ. I'm pretty sure that one can "test out" of a Liberal Science degree, and almost with a BSBA in General Management, but a BSBA in Finance would require you to take a few classes, whether they be online, e-pack, guided study, or in-seat classroom. They would not necessarily have to be at TESC, there are many options through Penn Foster, LSU, etc discussed at great length on other posts. Again, other degrees have different requirements.

I am still seeking clarification, and will post any reply from TESC on this subject.

I hope this helps. Greg
a4tunatemom Wrote:This quote makes me very nervous!

"The College will accept up to 25 FEMA credits and up to 90 credits of CLEP, DANTES or other tests."

My daughter has 25 FEMA credits, 63 CLEP and DANTES credits, and 29 credits on an ACE transcript(Aleks,Penn Foster, NFA). If they count the FEMA's seperately, that is still 92 credits. This is very upsetting and confusing to me. She was supposed to start her last class, an online course with TESC, April 1. Now I'm afraid she is going to have to take another class with them or another RA college or she won't be able to graduate on time.

I thought some people had completely tested out of Liberal Arts or Social Science degrees at TESC. How could they do that if you can only have 90 hours of CLEP and DANTES? Does anyone know if this is a new policy?

Danielle
>>

Two quick reactions 1. Caroline is one of the new advisors and 2. This might be specific to this type of degree, not a general college policy.
I'm hoping you are right and it is a mistake. I downloaded the ACE/TESC brochure from the TESC website page where it stated you could only use 90 ACE reviewed credits and there was nothing about CLEP or DANTES in it, only companies and organizations that have ACE reviewed courses. I'm hoping they mean they will only accept 90 credits on an ACE transcript.

Thanks for the encouraging advice!

Danielle
From FAQ's on TESC website :Thomas Edison State College/ FAQs

Can I take CLEP and other tests for credit toward a degree?

Thomas Edison State College has no limit on the acceptance of credit by examination and recognized DANTES, CLEP and Regents College Examinations. In addition the College offers over 50 examinations for credit through its TECEPÂ program.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Exams Passed: DSST : Civil War & Reconstruction : score 59 (A), DSST-Ethics in America (463 - pass), ECE-Ethics:Theory & Practice (A) , ECE: Literacy Instruction in the Elem. School (A), UExcel Poli Sci (B),ECE: PA&A (A) -->Exams taken after BSLS degree : [B][B]DSST : Intro to World Religions (466) DSST: Lisfespan Dev. Psych.(62) Foundations of Educ. (74) , Art of the Western World (69)[/B][/B]

[COLOR="Red"]completed[/COLOR] BS Liberal Studies w/Focus in Administrative/Management Studies & Depth in Psychology (cum. GPA 3.23/ Excelsior GPA 3.88) [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][SIZE="1"][/SIZE] BS degree conferred 2/19/10 : Grad courses completed : 2 Educ. Grad. courses via Vesi- Morningside College 1 course 3 credits (grade A-) and a 2nd course 2 credits (B+)
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! You have made my day!

Danielle
Again, I believe this applies only to the new Homeland Security degree-and I'm not sure about that! Check with your adviser. Greg

"From: James McCarty
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 9:03 AM
To: Caroline Tompkins
Subject: RE: Greg Johnson #xxxxxx

Caroline....since there is no prohibition against using any number of approved FEMA courses in electives, or free electives....this student can use whatever he/she has.

James M. Mc Carty
Assistant Dean
Heavin School of Arts and Sciences
Thomas Edison State College"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,882 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,523 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,699 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,094 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 27,048 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,695 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,017 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,667 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Where can you find UL credit in STEM areas to test out of for credit miah 8 2,109 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Statistics credit transfer from study.com waterpaper 2 1,607 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jsh1138